+ Reply to Thread
Page 70 of 76 FirstFirst ... 20606869707172 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Nurse in at Sunrise- sydney

Quote Originally Posted by FirstTimeMummy2012 View Post

I'll have no problem breastfeeding in public thank you very much because I have bought myself a gorgeous breastfeeding shawl that will do just nicely for me .. oh yeah .. and if my bubs doesn't like the shawl, I'm sure it won't be that hard to excuse myself from a conversation and move away so I can breastfeed her. It's called courtesy!
    No. Removing yourself will be your choice. It has nothing to do with courtesy. It's your right. Your decision. And no more or less appropriate than a mother who doesn't.

I don't remove myself when I start feeding my baby and it's not because I'm not courteous. That's my choice and preference. Not to mention impractical to disappear while also supervising a toddler. I should add, I used to try and go somewhere else when DS1 was a newbie because I wanted to concentrate and was learning how to feed away from.home. And that suited me too.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cat21 For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (23-01-2013),Mathermy  (23-01-2013),NancyBlackett  (23-01-2013),peanutmonkey  (23-01-2013),River Song  (23-01-2013),ToonZie  (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Uhm, to be honest, I don't know why it makes me so uncomfortable, it just does. I don't mind at all seeing a mother breastfeeding, but if someone was standing there talking to me and just suddenly mid conversation pulled a breast out and proceeded to start feeding with me right there (and this has happened to me), it makes me super uncomfortable. I just feel that there is a time and a place for everything and right there infront of me mid conversation was not the time nor the place. I guess the thing is I'm always very aware of how people around me are feeling (and maybe I care too much) but that's just the way I am. I would NEVER have done infront of anyone what this lady did infront of me. For goodness sake I didn't even know her! She was a customer where I used to worl. I get that she may have felt that it was normal, but I don't. I just feel that she put me in a really awkward situation with no regard to how it would make me feel ..If I see a mother breastfeeding discreetly even this makes me blush! I think it's lovely what she's doing but I still have to look away as quickly as possible .. maybe I am a prude who knows!
    I think that's totally reasonable to feel any way that you feel. How can someone not feel how they feel? It's not something we have a huge amount of control over.

I'll admit reading that when you said "I just feel she put me in an awkward situation with no real regard to how it would make me feel". I felt a bit like but why should she care about your feelings above those of her child. But I think you do mean it when you say that's how you FEEL, it doesn't mean she actually did anything to you, the awkwardness totally comes from within. Of course it's the time and place - it's always the time and place. But it's okay if you feel caught off guard etc and if you feed totally different way.

And as a breastfeeding mother I am really really not offended if someone does look away. The other week when katelyn had something stuck in her throat the doctor wanted to see her swallow and I hadn't brought anything with me for her to eat or drink as we rushed out the door, so I said "could I breastfeed her?" he said sure and I popped my boob straight out. He practically fled the room. The nurse came in and was surprised he'd left, I explained, we had a laugh. When he edged back in I assured him the coast was clear,I'd finished, he asked how she went etc. I wasn't offended. A little amused. But not offended.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

Cat21  (23-01-2013),ToonZie  (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Quite frankly, you're just rude and obnoxious and I have no interest in saying anything further to you from here on out. Who do you think you are telling me to get over it? Have I told you that YOU need to get over it if someone's telling you to cover up???

You have absolutely no respect and hence you don't deserve respect and certainly not from me!

I'll have no problem breastfeeding in public thank you very much because I have bought myself a gorgeous breastfeeding shawl that will do just nicely for me .. oh yeah .. and if my bubs doesn't like the shawl, I'm sure it won't be that hard to excuse myself from a conversation and move away so I can breastfeed her. It's called courtesy!
    Oh wait. Sorry I missed this comment.
    No its not called courtesy. It's called a preference.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

Benji  (23-01-2013),Cat21  (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Where I lived in a remote part of Northern Australian, indiginous (Australian) women had none of the hang-ups regarding breast-feeding many "city folk" seem to have. No-one wore a bra, and a toddler sitting on mum's hip might pull out a breast at any given time to have a quick suck or just for comfort, wherever they may be (walking around the supermarket), and mum barely noticed. Boobs were feeding devices, and no-one batted an eyelid. It was lovely and natural. Boobs weren't seen as sexual objects at all. If only everyone saw it this way, BF would be a much less stressful journey, for both mum, bub and the wider community. They are probably laughing their socks off that us "white fellas" are getting our knickers in a twist about flashing a bit of boob, they probably think we are nuts!

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

Benji  (23-01-2013),Boobycino  (23-01-2013),Cat21  (23-01-2013),ChickyBee  (23-01-2013),FruitBowl  (24-01-2013),headoverfeet  (23-01-2013),Hokey Pokey  (23-01-2013),Kiplusthree  (23-01-2013),Mathermy  (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Hokey Pokey View Post
    And people wonder why threads need to be closed.
    I'm glad it's still open. It's not like anyone is hurling abuse. It's okay for people to disagree - and disagree with passion.

If a thread keeps going on and on I don't see the harm. It stops people starting loads of "spin offs" because I didn't feel they got to finish.

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (23-01-2013),Cat21  (23-01-2013),dancingchipmunk  (23-01-2013),FearlessLeader  (23-01-2013),GreenMama  (23-01-2013),Guest654  (23-01-2013),headoverfeet  (23-01-2013),Lillynix  (23-01-2013),Phony  (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Nurse in at Sunrise- sydney

This thread should have been closed pages ago

ETA: this thread was to celebrate bfeeding
    Last edited by jacobsmamma; 23-01-2013 at 15:17.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jacobsmamma For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (23-01-2013),Hokey Pokey  (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

And its giving me something to read while I'm trapped under a sleeping baby.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

Cat21  (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by hollychops View Post
    You're suggesting that we respect those who feel the anti-discrimination law that protects breastfeeding women in public be ignored. Why should I respect those who don't respect a very important piece of legislation?
    Exactly this.

In a liberal society, like ours, the onus is on the person who wishes to restrict the behavior of another person, to provide a legitimate case as to why the behavior should be restricted. Obviously, out legislatures have recognized that a babies right to eat in public without a cover is prioritized over the delicate sensibilities of those who don't want to see it.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ToonZie For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (25-01-2013),Mathermy  (23-01-2013),V8  (23-01-2013)

mummabec is offline I could hold you for a million years, to make you feel my love
    Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by nat11 View Post
    I must admit, I've skipped quite a lot of the last few pages of comments but I wanted to share this as an example of how doing the nurse-in affected some of the roughest, toughest men I know.

I've been copping a bit of flak about attending the nurse-in from a few people on my Facebook. I thought I'd share this response from my husband (who works in an extremely male dominated field and is generally expected to be "tough and manly"). It was directed at a male friend who was commenting about how disappointed he is that Kochie has been run down for having an opinion because he has "valid points".

He wrote:

"What valid points? The guy is a complete debit! His opinion on breastfeeding is childish. But what really irks me is his complete lack of social responsibility. He is in a position where he can reach millions and unfortunately his opinion influences people.

I went to the nurse-in to support Nat and the other Mums because as a father I get to see every tiny, dirty, stressful detail of what it takes for a woman to bring a child into this world and sustain it. I can't even begin to describe the amazing work, and dedication that I witnessed from Natalie over the past three years, with Lucas and our little poppyseed.

These women need and deserve every little bit of respect and encouragement from us for the amazing work they do. These comments and attitudes are completely unacceptable for a modern society. They shouldn't feel awkward for looking after their child the way nature intended them to. (Perhaps why the government legislated the way they did)

I don't mean the following to be condescending in any way but - you won't understand exactly what effect his comments have until you become a father and see it all for yourself..."

Many of his other male friends "liked" and positively commented on his response and not one agreed with the original poster. If doing this nurse-in has brought the positives of breastfeeding to these men, the most unlikely of breastfeeding supporters, then it will have reached many more. Job well done I say.
    OMG!! What your husband wrote has me in tears! What a wonderful man you have there

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mummabec For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (23-01-2013),FluffyDucks  (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I'm still not sure what this argument has to do with the poor woman who was humiliated at the pool, but of course it's okay to feel uncomfortable. Personally, I don't have an issue with bodies, bits are accidentally shown sometimes and I can laugh or shrug it off. It's not hurting anyone. I will never forget my dad getting out of the car one day in footy shorts and no undies - good lord! But this doesn't mean I think footy shorts in public should be made illegal or anything. Or that all football players should be accused of being exhibitionists, or bring that up in football threads.

anyway, new mothers are human. Often sleep deprived, I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt. I don't know how I managed to get dressed in the mornings let alone have any social awareness when I was lucky to get 40 minutes of sleep at a time.
    As variety of threads tend to spin off from the original post, this one has. My posts are applicable to the direction this thread has gone.
    I have never said that I think in the above two situations were the women exhibitionists, but I did say they made me feel uncomfortable, understanding and agreeinf with Little Smile's post to an extent. It doesn't mean either woman was to blame for making me feel uncomfortable, it doesn't mean that I think women should have to put a wrap over bub when feeding, or that it should be done in private, it was just stating that quite a few people do find it uncomfortable to see exposed breasts when they're not feeding.