+ Reply to Thread
Page 67 of 73 FirstFirst ... 17576566676869 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi everyone! Sorry for jumping in here, but we wanted to say 'congratulations' to Atropos and to all the women who took part in the Sunrise Nurse-In! We feel very honoured that this began on the Bub Hub ... http://www.bubhub.com.au/hubbub-blog...-a-difference/

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BH-editor For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (23-01-2013),dancingchipmunk  (23-01-2013),GreenMama  (23-01-2013),Hokey Pokey  (23-01-2013),Phony  (23-01-2013),Someones Mummy  (23-01-2013),ToonZie  (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hollychops View Post
    You're suggesting that we respect those who feel the anti-discrimination law that protects breastfeeding women in public be ignored. Why should I respect those who don't respect a very important piece of legislation?
    Let me make it clear what I meant ... it would be nice if the ladies on here respected that some of us (yes like me) feel uncomfortable with breasts exposed for prolonged periods of time as Little Smile already described in her scenario. I would like to be respected for feeling that way rather than being told to get over it. This is what I meant. Respect is a two way street. You want me to respect you for not covering up? I totally do. Girl power to you for being able to do something I don't quite have the guts to do. Good on you I say. Why is it so hard for you to respect that it makes me uncomfortable though?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FirstTimeMummy2012 For This Useful Post:

Hokey Pokey  (23-01-2013),jellybub  (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FirstTimeMummy2012 View Post
    Let me make it clear what I meant ... it would be nice if the ladies on here respected that some of us (yes like me) feel uncomfortable with breasts exposed for prolonged periods of time as Little Smile already described in her scenario. I would like to be respected for feeling that way rather than being told to get over it. This is what I meant. Respect is a two way street. You want me to respect you for not covering up? I totally do. Girl power to you for being able to do something I don't quite have the guts to do. Good on you I say. Why is it so hard for you to respect that it makes me uncomfortable though?
    Sorry to hear you feel uncomfortable Why do you think you feel this way? Just out of curiosity...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by hollychops View Post
    You're suggesting that we respect those who feel the anti-discrimination law that protects breastfeeding women in public be ignored. Why should I respect those who don't respect a very important piece of legislation?
    Your'e totally missing the point.
    Nobody is saying anything about ignoring the rights of breastfeeding women, we are discussing when the line is crossed and a woman is sitting there with one , often two breasts exposed for waaaaay longer than necessary.
    Somehow I don't think you have missed this point that has been repeated and repeated ad nauseam over the last 15 pages though.
    You said yourself, going around topless would cause mayhem
    "Can you imagine what would happen if we all just ran around topless? Men wouldn't get anything done"
    Well take it from me, this woman was more or less topless for a little longer than necessary, and continues to feed her child this way.
    Look, there's people amongst us who would rather not have to wear a stitch of clothes any where they go and that's fine, it doesn't mean they get their way though

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Phony For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokey Pokey View Post
    Sorry to hear you feel uncomfortable Why do you think you feel this way? Just out of curiosity...
    Uhm, to be honest, I don't know why it makes me so uncomfortable, it just does. I don't mind at all seeing a mother breastfeeding, but if someone was standing there talking to me and just suddenly mid conversation pulled a breast out and proceeded to start feeding with me right there (and this has happened to me), it makes me super uncomfortable. I just feel that there is a time and a place for everything and right there infront of me mid conversation was not the time nor the place. I guess the thing is I'm always very aware of how people around me are feeling (and maybe I care too much) but that's just the way I am. I would NEVER have done infront of anyone what this lady did infront of me. For goodness sake I didn't even know her! She was a customer where I used to worl. I get that she may have felt that it was normal, but I don't. I just feel that she put me in a really awkward situation with no regard to how it would make me feel ..If I see a mother breastfeeding discreetly even this makes me blush! I think it's lovely what she's doing but I still have to look away as quickly as possible .. maybe I am a prude who knows!
    Last edited by FirstTimeMummy2012; 23-01-2013 at 13:35.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FirstTimeMummy2012 For This Useful Post:

Hokey Pokey  (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Smile View Post
    Look, there's people amongst us who would rather not have to wear a stitch of clothes any where they go and that's fine, it doesn't mean they get their way though
    Yes that's called indecent exposure and is illegal. Exposing your breast for the purposes of breastfeeding is legal and discriminating against a woman who does this is illegal. If you can not separate a naked breast used for breastfeeding and that exposed in a sexual nature, then that demonstrates something else.

I'll leave it at that I think. This is just going around in circles and i'm getting bored. I'll just agree to disagree.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just to point out how childish this post is,
    I am talking about women who do it continually.
    Not a once off accident.
    Her post was directed at me! And my experience when I accidently left my boobs out, basically the exact scenario the PP explained, hence why I said 'are you sure it wasn't me' I thought the above post to me was funny because she's right, what was I suppose to do? Announce I made a mistake to everyone?

Oh I so agree with you dancingchipmunk

How nice would it be if those who weren't so comfortable with exposed breasts in a food court were actually respected for how they feel instead of being told to "get over it"?
    The whole debate was sparked because someone was uncomfortable with a mum bf in public, how she chooses to do this is up to her, but its bfeeding. If you don't like it in a food court its tough titties.

Your'e totally missing the point.
    Nobody is saying anything about ignoring the rights of breastfeeding women, we are discussing when the line is crossed and a woman is sitting there with one , often two breasts exposed for waaaaay longer than necessary.
    Somehow I don't think you have missed this point that has been repeated and repeated ad nauseam over the last 15 pages though.
    You said yourself, going around topless would cause mayhem
    "Can you imagine what would happen if we all just ran around topless? Men wouldn't get anything done"
    Well take it from me, this woman was more or less topless for a little longer than necessary, and continues to feed her child this way.
    I'm sorry, but your example is far from what you are saying here, this lady did not run around half naked or topless? So what if she took abit longer to pull her top back up. 'This is not going around topless' The way you are wording your post I think is the one who's childish. She either sat their with her top off or ran about topless, or she took a minute to put her top back up while she put her baby back in the pram after a feed, which is it?

Uhm, to be honest, I don't know why it makes me so uncomfortable, it just does. I don't mind at all seeing a mother breastfeeding, but if someone was standing there talking to me and just suddenly mid conversation pulled a breast out and proceeded to start feeding with me right there (and this has happened to me), it makes me super uncomfortable. I just feel that there is a time and a place for everything and right there infront of me mid conversation was not the time nor the place. I guess the thing is I'm always very aware of how people around me are feeling (and maybe I care too much) but that's just the way I am. I would NEVER have done infront of anyone what this lady did infront of me. For goodness sake I didn't even know her! She was a customer where I used to worl. I get that she may have felt that it was normal, but I don't. I just feel that she put me in a really awkward situation with no regard to how it would make me feel ..If I see a mother breastfeeding discreetly even this makes me blush! I think it's lovely what she's doing but I still have to look away as quickly as possible .. maybe I am a prude who knows!
    I'm sorry, but this a serious issue, this is the attitude that needs to stop. A mother who is talking to you and stops midway to feed her child isn't be disrespectful. She can't wait, because her child can't, she is allowed to be an adult, keep talking and feed her child at the same time. It's called breastfeeding.

I'll be frank here, if you are serious about breastfeeding, you need to get over it, you can't run and hide everytime your baby needs to be fed, you will be very lonely as a first time mum because your baby will need to be fed all day. If you can't do it infront of people you'll never go out or have a conversation again

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Someones Mummy For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (23-01-2013),ToonZie  (23-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Someones Mummy View Post
    Her post was directed at me! And my experience when I accidently left my boobs out, basically the exact scenario the PP explained, hence why I said 'are you sure it wasn't me' I thought the above post to me was funny because she's right, what was I suppose to do? Announce I made a mistake to everyone?

The whole debate was sparked because someone was uncomfortable with a mum bf in public, how she chooses to do this is up to her, but its bfeeding. If you don't like it in a food court its tough titties.

I'm sorry, but your example is far from what you are saying here, this lady did not run around half naked or topless? So what if she took abit longer to pull her top back up. 'This is not going around topless' The way you are wording your post I think is the one who's childish. She either sat their with her top off or ran about topless, or she took a minute to put her top back up while she put her baby back in the pram after a feed, which is it?

I'm sorry, but this a serious issue, this is the attitude that needs to stop. A mother who is talking to you and stops midway to feed her child isn't be disrespectful. She can't wait, because her child can't, she is allowed to be an adult, keep talking and feed her child at the same time. It's called breastfeeding.

I'll be frank here, if you are serious about breastfeeding, you need to get over it, you can't run and hide everytime your baby needs to be fed, you will be very lonely as a first time mum because your baby will need to be fed all day. If you can't do it infront of people you'll never go out or have a conversation again
    Quite frankly, you're just rude and obnoxious and I have no interest in saying anything further to you from here on out. Who do you think you are telling me to get over it? Have I told you that YOU need to get over it if someone's telling you to cover up???

You have absolutely no respect and hence you don't deserve respect and certainly not from me!

I'll have no problem breastfeeding in public thank you very much because I have bought myself a gorgeous breastfeeding shawl that will do just nicely for me .. oh yeah .. and if my bubs doesn't like the shawl, I'm sure it won't be that hard to excuse myself from a conversation and move away so I can breastfeed her. It's called courtesy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Accepting breastfeeding does not mean we have to accept blatant exhibitionism though.
    I CAN tell the difference between a naked breast for feeding and one being exposed for the pleasures of others but when there's no child attached for an extended period of time, then yep, the intention is confusing, hence the awkwardness some of us feel when confronted with that. It's not that hard to understand and it doesn't take away from any rights of breastfeeding mothers to have a line drawn, even if it is just by way of common decency and manners.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quite frankly, you're just rude and obnoxious and I have no interest in saying anything further to you from here on out. Who do you think you are telling me to get over it? Have I told you that YOU need to get over it if someone's telling you to cover up???

You have absolutely no respect and hence you don't deserve respect and certainly not from me!

I'll have no problem breastfeeding in public thank you very much because I have bought myself a gorgeous breastfeeding shawl that will do just nicely for me .. oh yeah .. and if my bubs doesn't like the shawl, I'm sure it won't be that hard to excuse myself from a conversation and move away so I can breastfeed her. It's called courtesy!
    I'm not telling YOU how to feed, you can wear whatever lovely shawl you like, but if you think someone breastfeeding infront of you was rude and disrespectful then you need to have a hard think about it. To me it says you don't support bfeeding in public at all. I don't care if you find it rude or obnoxious, but I'll call it as I see it.

Accepting breastfeeding does not mean we have to accept blatant exhibitionism though.
    I CAN tell the difference between a naked breast for feeding and one being exposed for the pleasures of others but when there's no child attached for an extended period of time, then yep, the intention is confusing, hence the awkwardness some of us feel when confronted with that. It's not that hard to understand and it doesn't take away from any rights of breastfeeding mothers to have a line drawn, even if it is just by way of common decency and manners.
    So now she did it for your pleasure? This conversation is getting ridiculous

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Someones Mummy For This Useful Post:

Clarabelle  (23-01-2013),NancyBlackett  (23-01-2013)