+ Reply to Thread
Page 45 of 73 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast
    SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smidget3004 View Post
    Apparently the parenting rooms are used to advantage other people, instead of their children... My sister mentioned being in one at our local shopping centre and some guy came in just to use the toilet and do a sh!t!!! His wife came looking for him too and didnt appreciate the looks of disgust from my sister and her husband who were just trying to feed their daughter and change her nappy!!!
    At our local westfield a man walked out of the toilet the other day, leaving a cloud of stench behind him. He went back in to one of the curtained off areas but I think it is not necessary to use the parent room toilets if you don't have a child with you and you can pop next door into the regular toilets. Especially when it means there are small children doing the wee wee dance outside.

I have seen many of the staff in the shops come in and heat up their lean cuisine meals in the microwaves. One day a lady came in, put her meal in and then left the room. A mum came to heat her baby's bottle and she had to wait for 6 minutes (I actually told her to just take the meal out since the owner didn't even wait around for it).

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

Amira  (21-01-2013),LoveLivesHere  (21-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What gets me is time and time again people say that they are 'disgusted' by seeing breastfeeding....I just dont understand that. I keep trying to wrap my mind around why people find it so aborhent as I want to see it from teh other side...but I just cant figure it out. People seem to like boobs so that shouldnt be the issue...I dont even think seeing nipples are a big deal so it must be the act of the child suckling on a womens nipple.

Is that it? If so...why is it that bad?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FluffyDucks For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (21-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Nurse in at Sunrise- sydney

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyDucks View Post
    What gets me is time and time again people say that they are 'disgusted' by seeing breastfeeding....I just dont understand that. I keep trying to wrap my mind around why people find it so aborhent as I want to see it from teh other side...but I just cant figure it out. People seem to like boobs so that shouldnt be the issue...I dont even think seeing nipples are a big deal so it must be the act of the child suckling on a womens nipple.

I think (foolish) people are conflicted, if they primarily see breasts as a sexual object then it is an uncomfortable contrast to see an innocent baby suckling one. It's the 'icky' factor. I don't think they are intelligent enough to make the distinction between a baby suckling for function, as opposed to someone else suckling in a sexual context. And some people just don't like their thoughts about a woman's body being challenged. If you're a sexist **** it's almost like an insult to have breasts ('mis') used in a way that is not related to sexuality. It's hard to ogle a breast sexually with a baby in the way!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mathermy For This Useful Post:

FluffyDucks  (21-01-2013),HarvestMoon  (21-01-2013),ToonZie  (21-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathermy View Post
    I think (foolish) people are conflicted, if they primarily see breasts as a sexual object then it is an uncomfortable contrast to see an innocent baby suckling one. It's the 'icky' factor. I don't think they are intelligent enough to make the distinction between a baby suckling for function, as opposed to someone else suckling in a sexual context. And some people just don't like their thoughts about a woman's body being challenged. If you're a sexist **** it's almost like an insult to have breasts ('mis') used in a way that is not related to sexuality. It's hard to ogle a breast sexually with a baby in the way!
    That makes sense! And I guess the only way to change that would be to see breastfeeding everyone (covered or no) so people understand the dual roles.

*sigh* it just seems like madness...that we have to go through all this...in this "enlightend" day and age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GreenMama For This Useful Post:

FluffyDucks  (21-01-2013),Lozie  (21-01-2013),ToonZie  (21-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What irks me even more? When a breastfeeding mother says "I covered up, I did it discreetly, so I think other women can and should and show respect for thers"
    That just really gets on my nerves.
    ITS YOUR CHOICE IF YOU WANT TO COVER UP. TELLING OTHER WOMEN TO IS THE PART THAT IS WRONG!!!!!

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Someones Mummy For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (21-01-2013),LoveLivesHere  (21-01-2013),Lozie  (21-01-2013),MrsOhara  (21-01-2013),peanutmonkey  (21-01-2013),smallpotatoes  (22-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by smidget3004 View Post
    Apparently the parenting rooms are used to advantage other people, instead of their children... My sister mentioned being in one at our local shopping centre and some guy came in just to use the toilet and do a sh!t!!! His wife came looking for him too and didnt appreciate the looks of disgust from my sister and her husband who were just trying to feed their daughter and change her nappy!!!
    I used one in Melbourne to change DS, there was a young guy in there heating up his lunch! He apologised and promptly left. He was a shop worker from the centre though, so it wasn't too creepy.

On another note, I tried to feed in an area in Adelaide airport (ladies toilet & feeding area combined) on a small chair in the corner. Everyone that walked in stared at me, the Dyson hand dryers scared DS every time they were used, and to top it off people left their coffee/luggage for me to watch..... I gave up, took screaming DS out into the terminal and fed him there - no one looked or even cared.i decided that was the one and only time I would use a parents room to feed.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Taiyed For This Useful Post:

GreenMama  (21-01-2013),ToonZie  (21-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FluffyDucks View Post

I can try to answer it, as I used to be pretty squeamish about it and, pre-DD, it was something that I didn't like to see other people do.

For me, I couldn't separate the s3xuality side of it. That's all they had been to me up until that point. I had only ever in my life seen one person BF ONCE. None of my friends had kids, and I was never around any babies. I'd really just never seen it happen.

I found the idea freaked me out. The idea of fluid coming out of THERE, and babies being involved in something that I had only ever previously thought of as s3xual. Sure, I knew logically that the biological purpose was to BF, but that had never entered my world in any way.

(Not so relevant, but the idea of pregnancy also freaked me out!)

It was only when I was pregnant with DD that everything shifted, and I wanted to BF her. Prior to that I had always said that if I had a baby I would never BF. My mum never did, her mum never did - I didn't know anyone who had. If my mum had told me that she had then I would have been grossed out by it.

I don't know what changed, but my feelings altered with pregnancy, and I did BF DD for the first few weeks (before I ran into problems with feeding and had to stop). I was devastated when I felt that I'd failed at it.

From having DD I came into contact with more mums and babies, and all of a sudden BFing women seemed to be everywhere. It became more normal for me, and I don't think twice now if I see someone doing it. I plan on trying again with my next baby.

I hope no one flames me for my comments, as there is a huge difference between how I used to feel and how I feel now. For me I put it down to lack of exposure and lack of maturity (even though I am by no means a young mum - I still had the 'yuck' factor for a lot of baby related stuff). I'm also trying to be very honest, as I do understand and remember some of those 'yuck' feelings.

I don't think it's foolishness or lack of intelligence. I've certainly never thought of myself as dumb, anyway. More the fact that I had just never seen it happen, didn't know anyone who did it, and had no exposure to babies.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (21-01-2013),FirstTimeMummy2012  (21-01-2013),GreenMama  (21-01-2013),jellybub  (21-01-2013),LoveLivesHere  (21-01-2013)

up in the sky so high zoom zoom zooma zoom zoom
    Thanks
    Reviews
    What a great article and hit the nail on the head! There should be more nurse-ins all over the country i say!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks for this! Fantastic read and I couldn't agree more!