+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default I really need advice *possible trigger*

LOng story short my mum is going through some stuff and we are having some problems. On Xmas eve she tried to kill herself and was rushed to the ER and placed in a psyciatric intstitution. It was discovered that she was drinking excessive amounts of alcohol and it needed to be addressed. She when through detox at the institution and has since been released.
    She hasnt had a drink since (im farely certain of this), is in AA and she seems to be doing better. She has depression and some other health concerns but in general has gotten back on track.
    The other day the landlord of her appartment raised the rent (in 60 days) from $200 to $250/week. My mum is low income and just cant afford to pay this.

Now i have know idea on what to do. I feel like she needs someone to watch out for her and i want her close to me and my family but not living with us (we just dont have the room).

Any advice??? Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews

Are you renting?

My mum suffers depression, when my dad left her after 25 years of marriages or someone else she was devastated, she ended in hospital for depression and showing some of her old signs of suicide.
    After she was back home she then became addicted to an array of pills, mainly pain killers and sleeping pills so she could just make it by

In the end we came to the decision to have her live with us, and she didn't really have anywhere to go as she didn't want to stay in her and dads house, plus dad had left to another country.. Long story.. But I was pregnant with my first as well and the house we lived in was not big enough for my mum.
    We ended up getting into a bigger house at the end of our lease, mum was able to pay the outstanding amount in rent due to us moving to a bigger property, we paid $350 and she paid $100 a week.
    She lived with us for 2 years until she was able to get back on her feet.

If you own would your mum be willing to look at a rental closer to you?
    If you have the money a portable granny flat is another option too.

I hope your mum starts feeling better soon.
    Massive for you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: I really need advice *possible trigger*

Any chance you and or siblings could chip on with the extra $50 week whilst you all help your Mum find somewhere else?

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Happy2be3 View Post
    Any chance you and or siblings could chip on with the extra $50 week whilst you all help your Mum find somewhere else?
    What about this?

up in the sky so high zoom zoom zooma zoom zoom
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Many moons ago my mum went thru the same situation, it was tiring and trying for all involved, she needs you and your siblings support now more than ever, If i were you i would ask siblings or family members to chip in with her rent for a while and consider moving into somewhere where she would have room to stay, if your renting that is? I had to do this with my mother, I completely neglected my DH to help mum, but she is the only mum i have so it was worth it for a little while. She will get better and having her family close and supporting her will show her how much she is a valued and much needed family member

Thanks
    Reviews
    I remember someone telling me once that the rent can only be raised up by a certain amount. I can't remember where you look but maybe google it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

That seems to be an excessive increase. The usual amount from my understanding is 5%. Does she have a lease? They can't raise it until the lease is up and a new lease is signed - I could be wrong but I would contact the residential tenancies tribunal and ask.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree, a good solution (if you can afford it) is to pay the extra $50 a week. If you can't though... I'm not sure. I couldn't handle my mother living with me so I wouldn't recommend that to anyone heh.

Thanks
    Reviews

You can discuss the rent rise with them, it's way to big a rise, it shouldn't be raised anymore than 5 or 10%.
    I would get them to agree to a lower rise and try and pay it yourself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Check with the tribunal or ask your mum to have a look at her lease agreement.... I though rental increases were limited to 5 or 10% per 12 months.