+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Traveling with 5mo

DH and I area planning on travelling to Europe in December. Our baby will be around 5 months old then.

My issue is im so indecisive that I cannot work out where I want to go!

Can anyone share their experiences with me if you have travelled to Europe with a baby before?

Also, if you have any tips! I'm thinking I will buy a sling for the baby so we don't have to push a pram everywhere but that's the only thing I've thought of so far!!

Thanks
    Reviews

We went to Germany when DD was 4 months old in May last year. I was easy at that age. A sling/carrier is definitely a must. We hired a car with a car seat which made it easier to get around, but we did take a pram as I didn't want to always have to carry her. Most important tip would be to book the bassinet seat in the plane so you have somewhere for bub to sleep... And enjoy it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Best time to travel with a child is then, they are so portable.
    The only time I can think of needing a stroller would be to put baby in while eating out but by then they would be able to sit in a high chair or on a lap.

My babies are still awesome at that stage because they are breastfed and I don't start solids until after 6 months so travelling without needing to think about babies food is great.

So jealous, enjoy.

Thanks
    Reviews

Ooh I'm so jealous! We love travelling, just got back last weekend from Christmas in London and 2 weeks in Ireland. Haven't done it with kids though, I'm pg with #1 at the moment. It was my 7th time in Europe

Have you been before? If not then I would recommended flying in and out of London. Look for flights with Qantas, Emirates or Qatar airlines. Their stopovers (in Dubai or Dohar) split the flight into 2 fairly even legs instead of one short and one massive long haul (e.g. 5hrs to Singapore then 13 hrs nonstop to London - ugh!)

There is a tonne of stuff to do in the UK alone and they drive on the same side of the road so hiring a car is not stressful. From London you can catch the Eurostar train direct to Paris, Brussels or Bruges (Belgium) or Amsterdam. The Eurostar would be awesome with a baby, the trains are quite big and you can walk around etc, much easier than flying. It's only about 2 hrs on the train to Paris.

A sling will be heaps easier than a stroller. So many of the streets either don't have a footpath or it is a bumpy cobbled one so I can't picture bub wanting to stay in the stroller with all that bumping around. And people tend to be a bit pushier over there so I don't think people would just jump out of your way with the pram.

Italy is great in winter, you can fly there pretty cheap from London, or you could fly direct to Rome if you didnt want to do london. We went there in Dec 2011 and it was awesome in winter, every thing was super cheap and very quiet, no lines for any tourist stuff. The christmas markets in Rome are incredible! But be careful if you are going to tiny towns as lots of things will be closed in the off season.

I love talking travel but I don't want to monopolise your thread *sheepish* Let me know if you want more thoughts
    How long are you thinking of going for? Did you have any specific cities or countries in mind that you definitely wanted to do?
    I'm so excited for you

Thanks
    Reviews

We went to Europe in 2007 so we've been to London, Paris, Berlin, Copenhagen & Amsterdam.

We'll be spending quite a few days in Copenhagen as its my DH's Great-Grandmothers 100th birthday and that's the reason we are heading over.

I want to go back to Paris, but DH wants to go everywhere!! I guess I'm just overwhelmed as I would love to go everywhere as well but I don't know what to expect having such a small baby!

I'd love to go back to London as well and see the English countryside as we didn't get to see much when we were there. My DHs uncle lives in Surrey, UK but they forget they we are 'tourist' and don't bother to mention all the things you could see near where they live!

Thanks
    Reviews

Maybe just do Scandinavia seeing as you will be in Copenhagen anyway? We did Stockholm, Copenhagen, Tampere, Helsinki, Tallinn, St. Petersburg and Bergen a few years ago. We went in summer so it would be pretty different to doing it in December but I still think it would be awesome.

Each of the major cities was really different so it was well worth seeing them all. And we didn't find Scandinavia nearly as expensive as its reputation, the only place which was super exxy was Bergen (Norway) but that was also my favourite place, it's where lots of the cruises leave to go up the fjords so they hit the tourists for $$ for everything.
    St Petersburg was also incredible, we caught the train there from Helsinki for a few days. Russian visas were a pain though, had to do them in Aus months before we left and had to be 'invited' into the country by the hotel we booked. Communists just don't understand tourism!

I reckon Scandi would be great with a baby as it is so modern and well organised. We flew over with SAS air into Copenhagen, only had one stopover somewhere in Asia, can't remember where.

The only bummer would be the lack of daylight, it would probably only be light for a few hours a day at that time of year...

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We travelled to Europe last May, with a 1 year old and almost 3 year old. Five months is an excellent age to travel with if you ask me!

We took an ergo (which was a lifesaver) and a pram (baby jogger mini), and used both heaps.

Singapore Airlines and Emirates are my favourite airlines for overseas trips, both are great with kids. Definitely book a bassinet beforehand. I highly recommend doing an overnight flight...we did this and the kids slept for a large chunk of it (my one year old slept in the bassinet, my 3 year old slept sprawled over us in his seat). Our flight was broken into two - first half to Dubai, where we stayed for two nights, then second leg was on to Rome. I prefer breaking the trip into two, some people prefer doing it non-stop in one massive chunk.

We travelled to Italy, France and Spain...had an absolute blast! All were very child-friendly, everyone was really accommodating. We had several complete strangers help us on our trip - from carrying the stroller downstairs to get onto the metro, to helping us read maps.

Have a blast!