View Poll Results: Anyone have any regrets?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • None whatsoever

8 50.00%
  • We're happy, but it's harder than I thought it would be

5 31.25%
  • Yes, in hindsight we should have stopped

3 18.75%
  • Other

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Anon poll - anyone ever regret having an extra child even a tiny bit???

I know this is a really personal question, hence the anon poll.

I am so darn clucky it's terrible. I really feel like there is another little one out there to join our family, but there are so many practical reasons not to....

Everyone always says you never regret it once they are here, so I'm just wondering if that is always the case?

Thoughts?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I cant wait to see the results. I'm in the same boat as you OP.

Thanks
    Reviews

I just had my fifth (unexpected) baby last July. I am in the middle of a Uni degree and it was really, really bad timing, however I can honestly say I do not regret having him! Sure, I have occasional moments where I think about how different life would be right now without him (our second youngest is about to turn 4, so we were so close to being done with baby/toddler stuff, I should be finishing uni this year instead of next etc.), but definitely no regret! I'm so glad he's here and would not change him for anything

ETA: I can't vote because I'm on the iPad.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jade24 For This Useful Post:

OurLittleBlessing  (17-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oooh good question op! Subbing for future reference

Thanks
    Reviews

Our 3rd is nearly 6 months old. We were so adamant we were done with 2, hubby had even booked himself in for the snip! But we are so so glad we have her to complete our family, she is just the cruisiest baby and gets doted on by her big brother and sister. Have not regretted it for a minute!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to lulu21 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, no regrets. Ask yourself this: "Do you regret any of the children you already have?" There's your answer I think if you really desire another child (and there are no blatantly obvious reasons you shouldn't, like a major health problem) your only regret will be that you didn't have more. Good luck with your decision. Children are an enormous source of joy.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Clarabelle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't regret the children we have, wouldn't change that they're here for anything.
    However, in hindsight, I may have not had the number I had. I have four, as they are getting older I am finding it hard to give one on one time. Often I am tied to treating them as a whole rather than individual.

We can not have each child doing the sports and activities they individually want to do, instead we pick a sport that they all do for a minimum of two years.

It is really hard to go away on holiday. Most hotels don't accept 6 people in a room, meaning we spend a fortune on somewhere or have to book 2 rooms and the family is split up.

The younger ones get a lot of hand me downs.

Getting everyone's homework done can be a challenge. It would be nice to be able to sit down and go through everything a bit slower, but with homework then preperation of dinner etc plus fitting in afterschool activities makes it hard.

I feel I am always telling them to hurry up. It takes a bit longer to do everything, including getting in/out of the car, getting hair/teeth/bags ready.

I wonder if they are missing out on the "optimal" childhood if they were one of two kids.

They are moving into a stage of learning self identity and self esteem, I think it would be harder to discover that individuality in a group of four (or more).

Instead I like to think they are learning to be self sufficient, adaptable, independent children due to being in a family where everyone has to work together to run smoothly.

We very much work on love, structure and respect.

Other issues we will deal with will be allowance/pocket money, formals, cars, weddings etc. All thinngs smaller families can cater for failry easily a bit harder when you have more children.

Like I said I wouldn't turn back time and change it (esp as I didn't feel family was complete until the last was here), and when they were smaller it was fine. It's just as they are getting a bit older that i am noticing more challenges.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to escapee For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (17-01-2013),OurLittleBlessing  (17-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Escapee, thanks for sharing all those details, it's really helpful.

(hopefully to ease your mind though, I am 1 of 5 and I think my Mum would have said similar to you, but I don't feel like I missed out AT ALL, that's what makes this so complicated!!!!)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

escapee  (17-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

I don't regret the twins but I certainly regret who their bio dad is!

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

I don't know yet but I'm concerned I will