+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AshleeClaire07 View Post
    My DD2 is a feed play sleep girl but won't settle unless I lie down next to her.. We are also going thru the I swaddling phase due to the heat and its driving me crazy too! I don't k ow what I'm supposed to do with her arms whe she keeps flailing around or sucks her hand.. It's hard to get a rhythm/routine happening when they're constantly growing and changing. Sorry not much help but share your pain/problems....
    Arrrgggh you are so right! They keep growing and changing and when you think you have figured it out, they change again. Who says women are the hardest to understand? I think babies are hardest to understand. Fortunately they are so so cute and adorable and worth pulling our hair out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovehats View Post
    At 14 weeks only feeding twice at night is very good. It is completely normal for babies to wake at night for food and/or comfort. I think your expectations may be a little too high for such a tiny bub.

DS was always feed/play/sleep and was still waking at night until he was 11 months old.
    I think the reason I was asking is because of the article I have read...it says that night wakings are due to association with feeding to sleep. My bub wakes two times for actual feedings, but he does cry and wake extra times for reasons which we dont understand. Also we tried dreamfeed (suitable for babies 3 months and above) which didnt stop him from waking up as normal.

Anyway, I am right now a very confused mummy. I thought I know my baby very well but he's changing so fast, I cannot catch up.
    Last edited by Mom2TwoDSs; 17-01-2013 at 12:14.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Feed Play Sleep Questions

How long did you try the dream feed for? I was told to do it for at least a week before calling it a failure

Thanks
    Reviews
    Twice so far. I think we could try it again.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo View Post
    In answer to your questions:

I BF, so I don't really mind feeding her when she wakes up, except that it means I always have to be here. Can be a bit of a pain if she wakes unexpectedly during the day.

How you settle your DS sounds exactly like what we were doing until I changed tactics. I hate recommending books as there are so many out there, but I was told by my CHN to read 'Your Sleepless Baby' by Rowena Bennett. She used to be a nurse at Ellen Barron sleep school in Brisbane.

I downloaded the ebook and it was the best $5 I ever spent! Within a week my DD was self settling for all of her day naps and night time, and sleeping through. Now I put her in her sleeping bag, sing her 2 or 3 songs, put her down in her cot and walk away. 9 out of 10 times now she rolls over and goes to sleep.

The book gave me the confidence to let her cry by herself for a little bit, but listening to her cries for when she got distressed. But, she also outlines methods that take things a bit slower so the baby adapts more gently.

Anyway, check out the book online if you are interested.
    Hi, what site did u get the book from? I can't find it as an ebook? Cheers

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stac84 For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (19-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

I haven't read the other posts.

14 weeks is pretty young to expect them to not want night feeds.

Having said that however, I feed my baby on demand but still do feed, play, sleep during the day and then feed, sleep at night. Once he was about 3 months he was still waking at night for feeds but only drinking 20-40mls or so. So one night I have him his dummy rather than feeding him straight away and he went back to sleep. That's when I realised he just wanted comfort rather than being hungry.

So now I just try the dummy trick or try and resettle him again. If they don't work then ill feed him.

Since I feed on demand there is never a pattern but most nights (he is now 6 months) he will have a bottle between 5-8pm and that will be the last bottle until some where around 4-7am. Sometimes I get a good long sleep and other times he will sleep 9pm to 4am. But either way he is a happy baby, so I'm a happy mummy.

Every baby is different. Some will drop their night feeds early and others will be hungry in the night for a while. Let your baby tell you what they want and just go with it :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by ilovehats View Post
    At 14 weeks only feeding twice at night is very good. It is completely normal for babies to wake at night for food and/or comfort. I think your expectations may be a little too high for such a tiny bub.

DS was always feed/play/sleep and was still waking at night until he was 11 months old.
    That's great sleep for any bubba that age!!

Btw dream feeds work for about 60% of bubbas. I tried that with my dd1 as she was waking once at 1am then 5.30/6am and it was an epic failure.

She kept that feed till 14mths old!!!!!
    Last edited by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah; 17-01-2013 at 19:31.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (19-01-2013)

EternalOptimist is offline Never say you have failed until you have reached your last attempt; never say you have reached your last attempt until you have succeeded.
    Thanks
    Reviews

Mom2Two, My DS is very similar(also 14 weeks) & I'm also very confused. Just when I think I have him sorted he changes & Everything falls apart again.

We tried the dream feed for 2 weeks & it never worked, DS would still wake at 12-1am for a feed so we stopped it. He feeds at 5-6pm for bed then sleeps til 12-1 & up for another feed then wakes at 4am is is unsettled for 1.5 hours. I know he isn't hungry cause I've tried giving him a bottle & he only ever takes 20-30mls so I give him a dummy at this stage at then he will usually feed around 5.30-6am.

During the day it's totally different, he feeds every 3 hours without fail, I can't get him to go longer at all. As he only catnaps we have never been able to do any type of sleep, feed, play routine.

It is very hard, & having an unpredictable baby with their feed & sleep times makes it so much harder.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to EternalOptimist For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (19-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

IMO if bub has a feed-to-sleep association that is going to cause multiple night wakings it will appear at the 4 month sleep regression - and bub will start waking at least every two hours. Your bub sounds like they are doing very well, I wouldn't worry yet.

I am trying to establish a feed play sleep routine with my very brand new DD because DS' did wake 1-2 hourly for a breastfeed from 4-8 months and I almost always fed to sleep or rocked him in the swing. I agree with PP that the most important thing is putting bub down drowsy but awake.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Feed Play Sleep Questions

Nope, didnt work for us. I was taught the feed, play, sleep routine as a way to get my DD to sleep, but she would never self settle and would always wake up hungry.

As soon as I introduced another feed before putting her down to sleep, she started self settling as we had a nap and bedtime routine sorted. This was at about 6 months old, but was still waking 2-3 times a night for feeds, only now at 10.5 months has she started sleeping through most nights.

The whole feed play sleep routine was established to avoid the feed to sleep issue, but if you follow feed play sleep, add a top up feed before naps and bed time but ensure bub doesnt fall asleep during the last feed. Combine it with a good routine and bubs will soon figure out its time to sleep and will go to sleep with a full tummy.