+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Feed Play Sleep Questions

We are trying this routine out for our almost 14 weeks old. At the moment we do the play feed sleep instead of feed play sleep. We would like to try to dissociate bub from feeding and sleeping, to see if we can decrease his night wakings.

He goes down at around 8-9pm but still wakes midnight and 4am for feeds.

Does anyone have success with this routine - lessen the night waking?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I mostly do feed play sleep, but it also has its downside as when bubs wakes up, she expects a feed within about 10 seconds or cracks it! We are trying to lessen that expectation at the moment.

I think, though, that there is more of a correlation about how bubs goes to sleep and waking more times than necessary. Do you feed to sleep or to a drowsy point, or just feed and put him down completely awake? If he goes into the cot awake, then I don't think feeding before hand would make to much of a difference. But if you feed until he's asleep or drowsy, it would.

Once I started putting DD down completely awake to settle, her night wakings stopped (this was at about 17 weeks). Before then I had been putting her down drowsy and thinking that was enough - it wasn't.

Thanks
    Reviews

It really is down to your bub - because every baby is SO different as I am learning now with my DD2!

DD1 was play-feed-sleep. She fed to sleep for both day sleeps and night sleeps and that's the only way she would sleep until about 6 months old. Then she'd go to bed awake after her feeds, but it was still play-feed-sleep. She dropped all her night feeds at 7 months.

DD2 on the other hand will not feed to sleep. Ever. Wow, did that take away all my sleeping arsenal and force me to learn new ways to settle/sleep! DD2 copes much better with feed-play-sleep. She's only just dropping her night feeds now (she was having 1-2) and she's 10 months now.

So at this stage I would do whatever works for you and your bub. Especially before the 6 month mark, if you follow bubby's lead you'll all be much happier!

Thanks
    Reviews

You could try adding an extra feed at night?

My LO has a feed between 5-6, then a bath, I read him a story and then he has another feed at about 2 hours after his feed he had before his bath and will usually sleep 5-6 hours. Before he started wanting another feed after his bath he'd usually only sleep 3.

Bubby's sleep better with a full tum so there's nothing wrong with feeding to sleep tbh.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo View Post
    I mostly do feed play sleep, but it also has its downside as when bubs wakes up, she expects a feed within about 10 seconds or cracks it! We are trying to lessen that expectation at the moment.
    Gizmo, how about preparing her bottle and keep it in a bottle warmer when it is about time for her to wake?

Do you feed to sleep or to a drowsy point, or just feed and put him down completely awake? If he goes into the cot awake, then I don't think feeding before hand would make to much of a difference. But if you feed until he's asleep or drowsy, it would.
    At the moment we feed him then put him in the cot awake, but he doesnt fall asleep on his own. He now wants to be picked up and sshhhed. We do that to calm him then put him back in his cot. We repeat this a few times. Sometimes he goes hysterical with each time. The final time would be a calm baby in his cot half drowsy. Then we continue sshhhing. Most times he would cry again after 10 mins whereby we sshhhed again and then he goes off to sleep.

Once I started putting DD down completely awake to settle, her night wakings stopped (this was at about 17 weeks). Before then I had been putting her down drowsy and thinking that was enough - it wasn't.
    When you say completely awake, does she fall asleep on her own or do you need to use any method (eg dummy, patting, sshhing, swaddling etc) to help her sleep? Are you referring to bed time only or for naps too?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by callmedragon22 View Post
    You could try adding an extra feed at night?

My LO has a feed between 5-6, then a bath, I read him a story and then he has another feed at about 2 hours after his feed he had before his bath and will usually sleep 5-6 hours. Before he started wanting another feed after his bath he'd usually only sleep 3.

Bubby's sleep better with a full tum so there's nothing wrong with feeding to sleep tbh.
    Yeah going to bed with a full tummy was what I always thought worked. Who wants to go to bed feeling hungry? That's why I didnt agree with the feed play sleep method until I read about night wakings associating with feeding. In order to reduce night wakings, bub should be dissociated from waking to feed. So we thought of trying feed play sleep. But perhaps feeding half an hour just before sleep time so his tummy is still full but he has half an hour of play time to break the feed and sleep up.

Having said that I have questions about this method as it doesnt seem perfect too.

I have tried dream feed. If his last feed was at 8pm and a dream feed at 10pm, he still wakes at 12 midnight. So not sure if that really worked. Well only tried one night so maybe can try again for 2 more days.

My bub used to be quite easy but he is ever-changing. And we are also going through the unswaddling phase. It's crazy at the moment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD2 is a feed play sleep girl but won't settle unless I lie down next to her.. We are also going thru the I swaddling phase due to the heat and its driving me crazy too! I don't k ow what I'm supposed to do with her arms whe she keeps flailing around or sucks her hand.. It's hard to get a rhythm/routine happening when they're constantly growing and changing. Sorry not much help but share your pain/problems....

Thanks
    Reviews
    At 14 weeks only feeding twice at night is very good. It is completely normal for babies to wake at night for food and/or comfort. I think your expectations may be a little too high for such a tiny bub.

DS was always feed/play/sleep and was still waking at night until he was 11 months old.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ilovehats For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (17-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    In answer to your questions:

I BF, so I don't really mind feeding her when she wakes up, except that it means I always have to be here. Can be a bit of a pain if she wakes unexpectedly during the day.

How you settle your DS sounds exactly like what we were doing until I changed tactics. I hate recommending books as there are so many out there, but I was told by my CHN to read 'Your Sleepless Baby' by Rowena Bennett. She used to be a nurse at Ellen Barron sleep school in Brisbane.

I downloaded the ebook and it was the best $5 I ever spent! Within a week my DD was self settling for all of her day naps and night time, and sleeping through. Now I put her in her sleeping bag, sing her 2 or 3 songs, put her down in her cot and walk away. 9 out of 10 times now she rolls over and goes to sleep.

The book gave me the confidence to let her cry by herself for a little bit, but listening to her cries for when she got distressed. But, she also outlines methods that take things a bit slower so the baby adapts more gently.

Anyway, check out the book online if you are interested.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

My son is 14 months and still wakes once a night for feeds! Twice a night isn't really that bad if you ask me that being said, we did feed play sleep and it was pretty successful