+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Preparing for a HSG and lipiodol flush and your feedback on them?

Hi everyone.
    I am booked in for a HSG and lipiodol flush at end of next week. It will be on cd11. I know it is supposed to be between cd6 - 10 but they approved this as long as I have no sex from cd7 until then!
    I am dreading this as I have heard some horror stories, so I am asking other people what they did to prepare for this? My fs nurse said to take two naprogesics and have two scotches an hour prior!
    Also I apparently have a retroverted uterus, would this make it more unpleasant?
    Has anyone had the lipiodol flush done and did this hurt?? Did you have success from it?
    Sorry for all the questions!
    Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't had an HSG, but have had a hysteroscopy and lipoidal flush. Not up with the terms, but I think HSG is different to hysteroscopy??? I assume they would be quite similar though.

It was no better or worse than going under for egg pick up for me. A bit of cramping afterwards and was fine 24 hours or so afterwards.

I had an early M/C that cycle but was successful on the next.

Not sure how a retroverted uterus would affect things, sorry.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

My Ob told me its less painful if you've had a child before as your cervix is already open a tiny bit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks!
    I struggle with pap smears sometimes so I am not looking forward to this at all !!!

Thanks
    Reviews

My HSG was really painful! I was told that was because the one tube I had at the time was blocked so the dye had nowhere to go. Hopefully it won't be the same for you, but yes get into the painkillers before you go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I not sure if I can go through with this! I have passed out before with a pap smear (mind you,that was YEARS ago, was my first ever one and I had no idea what they were about to do!) But I do get quite a bit of discomfort having a pap smear.
    I had ultrasound done on Thursday and they told me that since I have a retroverted uterus (which apparently is very bad) then the HSG will hurt more
    FS is giving me endone to take prior ... anyone had experience with that??

Thanks
    Reviews

I haven't taken it, but I know a lot of people who have an apparently it's amazing! Lol. That should really help with the pain. Take it before and after (I had a lot of cramping for the rest of the day).

Thanks
    Reviews

I had 2 nurofen and a buscopan about an hour before my HSG. I didnt feel any pain. Only discomfort from the speculum (sp?). I had no pain afterwards besides a couple of sharp pains through the afternoon.

Take some rescue remedy with you. It will help calm you down

Thanks
    Reviews

Hello stormgirl,
    I had a HSG last year. It was fairly painful for me but not unbearable. It takes a little longer than a Pap smear. I recently found out i have a retroverted uterus too (my OB saw it in an ultrasound- no other FS had ever mentioned it). it hasn't caused me any additional issues and I hear its common.
    GL and take the Panadol in advance!

Thanks
    Reviews

I think a lot of the pain I felt was due to the fact I was kind of shocked/unprepared by what was happening. My Ob just said you might feel some mild cramping. I didn't realise it was going to be in a room like a surgical theatre room and the staff would be in scrubs. I was by myself thinking it was kinda like having an internal ultrasound. So if you can prepare yourself for that theatre like scenario (that's just what it was like where I had it done) then hopefully that might help, knowing what to expect. A very kind staff member held my hand and talked me through it, they will support you. There was no pain afterwards and it was reasonably quick. I know lots of people who have fallen pregnant after the test, inc myself, even though I didn't actually have a blockage. I've also got a retroverted uterus maybe that's why it hurt. But it was Probably just cause I'm a sook with pain! I'd had no pain relief beforehand.