+ Reply to Thread
    MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Travelling around Europe with an 19 month old.... Any tips?

So in September we will be heading to Europe for about 3 weeks.

In this time we will be going to France, Germany, Italy, England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales etc etc we are doing the lot.

I think we plan on doing Scotland, Ireland and Wales in 2 days (not a lot we particularly want to see there, and we may skip it all together)
    England we will fly into, I want to see Harrods and that's about it.

But France, Italy & Germany we have a wedding and family to see!

So I want your opinions, would you hire a van for the whole period and stay in that? Or would you hire a car and stay in hotels? We were going to be staying with family, but the language barrier is too great and would be majorly uncomfortable.

Because we will have DD I don't want to stay in any backpackers or hostels, i would want to be in hotels only, hence the thinking for having a van.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

A playgroup mum did this with 2 toddlers a while ago. She took a tandem pram (free 'luggage') and a couple of sturdy carriers. She found that Italy was pram ok but not great. The carrier came in handy for those cobblestones. Both she and her hubby had carriers for the kids so that they could still do walks/museums etc.

They also took their car seats as they hired cars there and Europe has different safety standards than here. Mainland Europe is very kid friendly ESP Spain, Portugal, Italy and Greece.

UK is def pram friendly but the tube can get crowded so be warned during peak hour.

IMO fly into London and do harrods. Then take the train to France and pick a car up there or get the euro rail everywhere. Fuel is expensive in Europe so you need to work out if it's cheaper to train it around.

I think you are better of to pay more and get a centrally placed hotel that you can get cheap and easy PT (PT is CHEAP in europe not UK) and let your rellies loan you a car if needed. You only need your oz license there from memory.

Parking in tourist spots is not easy.
    Last edited by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah; 17-01-2013 at 08:42.

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews

Yeah I was planning on taking my carrier need to practice the back carry

Thanks forthat info

Thanks
    Reviews

Do u mean hire a campervan?

I used to be a travel agent, I remember them being very expensive in Europe, but, it's been a few years and that could have changed. Also I think the areas where u can park them are not centrally located.

My main tips, as I've travelled alot, and sometimes very stupidly took waaaay too much luggage along with me, is check that the hotels in Spain, Italy etc have lifts. So many of them only have stairs that it would be a PITA to have to lug everything & kidlets up and down stairs.

Hth

I'm jealous of your trip btw!

Thanks
    Reviews

Ps I think campers have a bunk bed for the 3rd/4th person so make sure u check that if u have little kids, unless u don't mind them squishing in with u!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd actually say the tube is just terrible with a pram! We only recently went and so many stations there is no lift and you have to juggle bub in a pram on tiny escalators! Soooo unsafe it freaked my husband out so much! A carrier/stroller combo would def be a great idea. We can't say about vans etc but as previously mentioned fuel is insanely expensive for sure- I'd try costing it out either way! Have fun, what an exciting adventure :-) ps our few months in Europe with our nearly two year old successfully cured us of ever wanting to travel with toddlers ever again lol- we're flying grandma here from now on lol