+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sorry but you cant travel with two kids under 2. Each child under 2 needs an adult with them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yeah, pretty sure for every child under 2 (24 months) you need an adult and from memory that's 16+ years of age. Children under 2 are meant to be on the lap of an adult, although I think you can buy them a seat. BUT, they need an adult with them at all times to assist with belts, oxygen, etc in the case of issues in the flight, etc, etc.

So, maybe you could pay for someone to fly up with you and they could go off & have their own holiday and then join you for the return flight?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Plane trip with 5mth & 18mth old alone. Crazy or doable?!

I think at 22 months, you could buy a seat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

My friend was in a similar situation and she just put down the child was a month older than they actually were. She had no option other than not go to a family wedding. They don't check birth certificates usually- she just took a Medicare card for ID

Thanks
    Reviews

Yes of all the times I have flown with mine (seriously can't count them) I have not once needed to show proof of a birth cert. even for my daughter who flew 1 week off being two (they didn't need to verify it). This is with Virgin and jetstar

Thanks
    Reviews

Oh crap! I never though it would be an issue if I paid for an extra seat. I was more worried about my sanity!

Thanks for all your advice - I'll contact the airlines then and ask their policy. I was going Jetstar or Virgin.

With DS1 only being 2mths shy of 2 and they don't normally check ID, could I get away with it? Or not worth the risk?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pesca77 View Post
    Oh crap! I never though it would be an issue if I paid for an extra seat. I was more worried about my sanity!

Thanks for all your advice - I'll contact the airlines then and ask their policy. I was going Jetstar or Virgin.

With DS1 only being 2mths shy of 2 and they don't normally check ID, could I get away with it? Or not worth the risk?
    Is he big? Ha ha. I wouldn't as I'm a stresser but it would probably be ok based on previous posters' experiences

Thanks
    Reviews

From my experience I would just bump his age to 2 if your paying for the seat.

As I have mentioned I have never been asked or needed to show a birth cert for mine and I'm a frequent flyer. Infact I don't think I have ever even carried the birth cert with me lol.

I too have lied about my dd's age just the once for convenience sake. I honestly don't think they care that much to seriously look into it all.

Also remember car seats, prams, ports cot all fly free so you don't need to allow for that in your luggage. Also baby bags and laptop fly free with you as carry on baggage. So you can take a bag for yourself, a bag for your toddler and a nappy bag for bub. I would be carrying as little as necessary on board with you though as its a struggle. You will need to check prams/strollers in at check in (so will be without a pram at the gate etc) so I suggest again to make it easier use a sling or similar with bub and perhaps a backpack thing with attached cord to yourself for your toddler so your all nice and close and not panicking with chasing toddler and all.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 1CrazyMoose For This Useful Post:

Pesca77  (17-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Also try and book a plane with a tv screen on back of the seat (if they have them on the route you are travelling). The main difficulty I've had travelling with small kids is nappy changes. DD1 was a bit over 3 when I travelled with her and DD2 alone and I could leave her seat while I changed DD2. She was happy to be alone for 5 minutes but DD2 always came with me when I've had to change DS1. You just have to think through every possibility (vomiting baby all over you and your clothes, poo explosions etc) and be prepared. Take lots of colouring or an iPad for your toddler. I've travelled lots of times with 2 and 3 kids alone and with enough planning it's fine.

And I've never been asked for proof of age for any of the kids, and my 22 month old is almost the same height as my nearly 4 year old.

Thanks
    Reviews

I wouldnt be worried about the 'fake I'd (haha) I'd be worried about the safety aspect, if you had an emergency landing and you needed to help both kids in a short period of time.

Forgive me, I'm not paranoid, but I do work in the industry and am in the area where these rules get made. Hth.