+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Breastfeeding Debate...

Hi there,

I am just about 20 weeks pregnant, and am starting to get all kinds of questions in regards to whether I plan on breastfeeding.

I am having trouble deciding, and am hoping to get some advice on how others made the decision.

My biggest concern is that I will be returning to work part time shortly after Jelly Bean arrives, and as such will have to express quite frequently if I do decide to breastfeed. I also do a bit of travelling with work (just overnight or two night trips) and that will mean a great deal of expressing. In all convenience considerations, it will be much easier and benefitial for me to go straight to formula. My mother was unable to breastfeed and she said she does not feel as though we were disadvantaged or she missed out on anything, but I am worried I may regret it down the track. Also, I am going private, so I fee like there will be a lot of people around judging me for making a decision based primarily on what is most convenient.

My DH has told me he will support me no matter what, and doesn't seem to have a preference. So I am kind of making this decision alone. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

There's nothing wrong with going straight to formula, but if you want to breastfeed, why don't you breastfeed to start then transition to formula once you have to return to work?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

Starfish30  (17-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could you bf for as long as you are on leave, then switch to formula? That way bubs gets the colostrum at least.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mousky For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (17-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

In your case I'd plan to breast feed but be prepared to switch to formula if its too hard. That way your bub will get the goodies at the beginning and you might find it easy to keep going. And if you don't, then switch

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    There's nothing wrong with going straight to formula, but if you want to breastfeed, why don't you breastfeed to start then transition to formula once you have to return to work?
    This is the decision I came to as four weeks after my bub is born, I will need to have him in child care while I'm at uni and went for the convenience side, though I would like to try breastfeeding.
    Who knows you may decide you love bfing and decide to express, or you may have a lot of troubles bfing and formula will be better for you earlier than returning to work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with the other pps. Just breastfeed while you can and ff the other feeds. Any breastmilk is awesome so whatever you can manage is great. A lot of ladies comp feed so you can even bf in the morning before work and bf at night then formula in between.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    There is no reason you cannot give breastfeeding a go if you want to. You may find that eventually it's easier if you just formula feed, but it's still good if you can at least get some colostrum into your baby, and any breastfeeding at all is better than none.

Some combination feed too - breast and bottle combined (using formula, not expressed milk). This may be an option if you can find a good balance for your supply.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    There are some great resources around for pumping mums if your interested in some

http://kellymom.com/category/bf/pumpingmoms/

https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-...ill-breastfeed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Weird double post

Thanks
    Reviews

I would suggest giving breastfeeding a go to start with and then change to formula if you want later down the track.

Before DD1 was born I was very blasé about breastfeeding. If people asked I'd just say "oh, I'll try it I guess. I'll just wait and see".

Boy, was I in for a shock! As soon as DD was born something just clicked inside of me and breastfeeding suddenly became very important (almost compulsive) to me and I did everything I could to make sure it worked for us.

You might make a decision now but completely change your mind when bub is born so try to keep an open mind and prepare yourself for either option

At the end of the day you need to find a solution that works for you and your baby. Don't let anyone guilt you into anything

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GirlyWirly For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (17-01-2013),MissyJane  (17-01-2013),VanityFey  (16-01-2013)