+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Smile Question about smoking and BF?

Hey,

I currently do not smoke or drink. I quit the day I found out I was pregnant, and I have no intention of going back to smoking in general once baby is born (Due Jan 20th!) <3

However, if I were to have one night out after baby was born, in which I would be drinking, I know there is a possibility that I MAY have a smoke or 2, even though at this point I plan not to.

So I know that with drinking, I have to wait a certain amount of time before breastfeeding, and I plan to have enough expressed milk stored to last until I can BF again and also plan to pump and dump every so often throughout the night / next day to keep my supply up and also to get rid of the bad stuff that may be stored in there (though I've heard pumping and dumping doesn't make much difference anyways)

I have no idea about smoking though. IF I were to end up having a smoke or 2 throughout the night, how long should I wait before I start BF again? Would it be the same as alcohol or would it be much longer?

Please don't judge me I do not have plans to smoke, I intend to avoid it, and I don't plan on drinking all the time, this will be a one off thing for a long time for a special occasion, but am wanting to be informed in case it does arise that I happen to have one or two while drinking. I hope I don't! But you never know, and I just want to make sure I know what to do if it does happen.

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Question about smoking and BF?

I am very much like you, love a smoke with my drinks but don't smoke any other time! You don't have to wait for the nicotine to leave your body, but have a shower before you next feed bub so there is no smoke or anything on you. You don't need to pump & dump to get rid of the alcohol just to keep supply up (and you may feel very full!) good luck and have fun

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Just*Ace For This Useful Post:

Angelique89  (16-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The only thing I remember the midwife saying before I left hospital was to make sure I had a shower before holding bub again IF I had a smoke. She didn't mention anything about nicotine been in the breast milk but I can't say for sure that there wouldn't be. Best thing is to avoid, easier said than done sometimes though!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dancingchipmunk For This Useful Post:

Angelique89  (16-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Google 'smoking & breastfeeding', or 'the effects of cigarettes on breastfeeding' for more info, but here's a snippet. The ABA website also has some info.

"How to minimize the risk to your baby if you smoke
    The ideal: Stop smoking altogether.
    Cut down. The less you smoke, the smaller the chance that difficulties will arise. The risks increase if you smoke more than 20 cigarettes per day.
    Don’t smoke immediately before or during breastfeeding. It will inhibit let-down and is dangerous to your baby.
    Smoke immediately after breastfeeding to cut down on the amount of nicotine in your milk during nursing. Wait as long as possible between smoking and nursing. It takes 95 minutes for half of the nicotine to be eliminated from your body.
    Avoid smoking in the same room with your baby. Even better, smoke outside, away from your baby and other children. Don’t allow anyone else to smoke near your baby."

I hope to be corrected if I'm wrong, but I believe breastmilk does not store alcohol (or nicotine, I would assume?). Those things are only present in your breastmilk while they are present in your blood. So by the time you have 0% blood alcohol, you should not have any alcohol in your BM. So there is no need to pump and dump, other than if it's going to be an extended period, and then only to keep up your supply.

Obviously if you try to avoid it all together that would be best (for both of you) but if you actually only have one or two a few hours before your next feed I would gather from what I read that the amounts in the BM would be negligible.

*i am not an expert, and it's been at least a year since I breastfed, and I've never smoked, so NOTHING I say here is fact, or even necessarily Correct. You can also ask your midwife these things for an answer you can trust *

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daydream Believer For This Useful Post:

Angelique89  (16-01-2013),αληθη  (16-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone

We are getting a babysitter for the night we have planned, and will be getting bub back at about 10am the next morning, by which time I would have showered off the smell of smoke etc, and I plan to stop drinking (and smoking if I do) about midnight, so hopefully that is plenty of time

I may even continue to feed the expressed milk for the remainder of the next day so long as we have enough stored just to be safe, but hopefully I wont end up having a smoke anyways. I am super paranoid about SIDS and thought that having a smoke or two might carry nicotine into the breast milk and increase the risk of SIDS.

One other concern is, if I don't produce enough milk to store enough for the time the babysitter has bub, would substituting formula for one night hurt at all, or would that be fine? Again, another thing I hope it doesn't come to, but I don't know what my supply will be like at this point and want to be prepared for all circumstances

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is just more for the last question about substituting with formula for the night, I tried that with my DD as I didn't have enough stored and had to be out for work. It is fine for a night but I would just say make sure first bub will actually take it. I thought I was fully prepared and ready for the night but turns out bub refused to take formula and was screaming the house down and I had to come home, lol.
    It sounds like you are organising ahead of time though so I am sure it will all be fine, enjoy your night out, the fist one away from bubs can be hard but it will be a long time coming!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was a light smoker before getting pregnant. I went out for a christmas party when DS was 3 months old and the smell of people smoking was yuck. My DH smoked so I tried a sneaky bit of his and it was horrible. So you may find that you don't want to smoke anyway.

You may also find that you don't want to be away from your baby all night either. I think I was home by 11pm and ready for his next feed when he woke around 12.30.

Thanks
    Reviews

I quit smoking 2 years before 22 was born.
    When dd was 2 months old I started back up, I have no idea why but we think it may have been linked to my PND.

My health nurse was very good about it, non judgmental, she said If smoking was a way for me to cope then for now keep doing doing it and not to stop until I was ready, i needed my sanity back then.

I breastfeed, on one of the ABA leaflets I got it said that formula feeding and smoking was worse than smoking and breastfeeding.
    I would have a smoke right after a feed, I followed the 95 minute rule and started pumping and freezing incase I was not coping and needed a smoke, or if I needed to get out of the house I had a supply for my husband to give DD.
    when I went outside for a smoke I would close the door and window, I would also wear a certain t-shirt so that all my clothes didn't get smoke all on them.
    I would wash my hands and have a fresh clothes on for a feed but I would mainly have a shower.

I don't drink so I never knew people pumped and dumped, from what I was told the breast milk is clean once your blood is (amazing what the body can do)

You can buy breast milk tests from the chemist that tell you if you still have alcohol in your breast milk if you ever get really worried that there might be a trace of alcohol in your breast milk.

We did top on on formula sometimes when I was going through not feeling so great and just feeling to depressed.
    I would go through stages of not wanting dd near me and not wanting to pump so my supply would drop and I did go on medication to bring the supply back up which really did help, but dd seemed to be ok with formula.
    She is 2 now and still has some breast milk in a cup.
    And I'm no Longer a smoker so it's much easier with working out when the pump

If you just want a few here and there that's perfectly find
    Just follow the ABA for advise on how to do it safely.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

DS is 3 1/2 months and I have had a few cigs since he was born, I would have it straight after a feed and shower straight away and change my clothes. Not worth the effort but I find it hard when somebody offers me one to say no!