+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default toilet training tips

Quote Originally Posted by Alimia View Post
    So do i just buy those toilet insert seats with the step??
    We got 1 of those as well as a potette which is a portable potty that also turns into a toilet seat for a big toilet, came in handy when she started using the big toilet and we were out somewhere that didnt have the small children's toilet. Fits in handbag or nappy bag.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD is 26.5 months and have just successfully toilet trained her over the past 3 weeks.

I would have both handy op, the toilet insert with step (we have the all in one) and a potty, as at this stage dd prefers the potty and you want them to be comfortable and at ease with training

A potty is actually a better position for them to sit in to help push too iykwim. My dd will go on a toilet for a wee if theres no potty around but so far to do poos, shes only been on the potty and it seems better for her. Give them the choice.

You need to wait until you feel they are ready, 20 months is quite young, id probably wait around 6 months personally at least till he is 2 - Does he tell you when he needs to go?

We went out and got some cool knickers for dd and started putting them on her. We had 5 days of pretty much non stop accidents (wees only as she was doing poos in her nappy during her naps!) but she was telling me she needed to go, but as she was going. She hadnt quite got the hang of the feeling of needing to wee and holding it for a few seconds.

She got quite distressed on day 5 about needing to go and didnt want to go on the toilet, she was really upset, i was really upset, she obviously didnt want to wet herself anymore and i ended up offering her a nappy as a last resort and she went in that.

From then on i decided to let her choose if she wanted nappy or knickers and over the next couple of days she kept choosing knickers and happily started taking herself to the potty (i had the potty and seat and step on the adult loo for her to choose) she wanted the potty so i left her with what she was happy with

I was adament i wasnt going to use a potty but like everything in parenting never say never!

She still wears a nappy for sleeps - i had stopped them during the day but she has been unwell with an upset tummy the past few days so have put one on her for day naps just incase and she wears pull ups when we are out - has never had a n accident in them, they are treated as knickers but just as a precaustion incase she slips up, she calls them her princess knickers.

We started TT 3 weeks ago now and in the last 2 weeks she has had only 2 little wee accidents.

We will drop the pull ups for outings soon im sure as she is doing really well!!

So my biggest tips....

Stay relaxed - i started getting stressed which in turn probably contributed to my dd stressing too!

Go with the flow - let them use what they are comfortable with

If you really arent getting any progress at all after say a week id stop and try again later for your own sanity!

Talk about it leading up to it and how exciting it is etc. DD had a doll that came with a potty and had a nappy on and we took the nappy off the doll and put its knickers on and said no more nappy and put it in the bin. On the first day of her training i did the same with her, said "no nappy" "wees and poos in knickers" and she happily threw her nappy in the bin.

HTH best of luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD was 21 months last month and we decided to start. It has been very successful. She was really interested for months prior and insisted on watching me go to the toilet. She has a potty step thing over the toilet. We started with her wearing nothing so it was easy to get her quickly to the toilet. I gave her lots to drink that first day and asked her every 5 mins or so if she needed to wee. She only had 2 little accidents on the first day and stopped those and finished on the toilet. She would get a stamp on her hand each time she went potty. By the end of the day she looked like she had tattoo sleeves! Day 2 she didnt want to do it and so we went back to nappies. I would ask her constantly but she wasnt interested. The following week she got the potty out and was ready to start again. A month on she still wears a nappy for her nap and at night (nap time one rarely wet). She also wears a nappy if we are out just incase we dont make the toilet in time. At home know she wears undies (she picked them) HTH
    Last edited by rachel27; 17-01-2013 at 20:00.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default toilet training tips

Whatever you do don't use pull ups. It's just a marketing gimmick. Ditch disposables completely and go to undies or switch to cloth training pants.

Dd1 was day TT at 18mths and might at 27 ish months. (dd2 was born in the middle so I got a bit lazy).

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: toilet training tips

I have found pull ups great for when we are out and about only and they have caused no issues. She thinks they are just knickers and treats them as such. She hasnt had one accident in a pull up.

Gives me peace of mind in the early stages of TT that they arent going to ruin my friends couch or pee all over their car seat!

Best invention imo!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub
    Last edited by SoThisIsLove; 17-01-2013 at 20:17.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    we've been taking a very slow casual approach to TT. Before 2 were just happy if she sat on the potty as she was scared of it for a while. Would occasionally do a wee and we would give her lots of praise. She wasn't ready for full training so we just tried each night after or before her bath.

She's started showing more signs just after 2 at day care. We've had a few attempts at keeping her in knickers but she'd just wet them and didn't seem bothered by it so it didn't make her want to go to the toilet.

now at 2.5 we're doing more extended periods without nappy stints. Lots of encouragement. When you put her on she'll go, ask to go about some of the time, but often just not be interested. I think she's just lazy. Will wee everywhere and i'll catch her playing in it!

Works best when we just let her run around nudie. If she has knickers she just wees in them as she forgets and think she has a nappy on, but when she's got a bare bott it's more noticable for her.

day care is trying to back us up a bit and will increase her toilet time over the next few weeks (along with the other kids her same age, none are fully trained yet). I'm not worried or pushing it heavily. When she's ready, she's ready and I'm not going to stress myself or her over it.

We have potty and over the toilet seat with step and I let her choose what she wants. Have also found moving the potty around in the room she is playing in helps, although she prefers the big toilet (and it's easier to clean for me)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have always started with a potty in the lounge room, in big boy jocks no pants or shorts. Lots of encouragment every 30 min or so to sit on the potty I would have a pile of books near the potty and read to him while he sat there and lots and lots of praise when he did something.

Thanks
    Reviews
    He has been holding his nappy and saying wee wee, so that's why I thought I would start at this age. I've put him on a few times and taken a book in with us to get him to relax but today he doesn't want a bar of it. I might just hold off and try again next week. Gosh I have a long road ahead of me!!