+ Reply to Thread
    LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Blood Sugar & Light Headed. Is it a concern?

Hi All,

Just wanted to ask a question. The last three days I have periodically felt quite light headed and faint. Monday, I felt it twice. Yesterday I felt this three times, today only once so far.

It's a light headedness like I've not felt before and after having a meal I feel mostly better.

Today I was eating lunch (had quite a lot to eat *very naughty*) and I felt myself get very lightheaded mid lunch. Nan took my blood sugar about half an hour after I ate and it was 4.5.

This got me wondering what my blood sugar level would of been prior to eating and before I got really light headed.

I'm not diabetic that I know of and not worried, it's just annoying. Wanted to see if anyone had some tips or advice.

Thanks heaps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I'd go to the doctor and let them know and they'll do all the necessary tests. I assume your Nan has diabetes to test your blood sugar levels... so if it runs in the family, it's worth getting checked out anyway. I have it in my family so regularly get tested just to be safe.

It really could be caused by anything. Are you getting enough to drink in this heat?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

LifeInShadesOfGrey  (16-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree, definitely worth getting checked out!

Do you eat enough protein and fat? Have you tried a low GI 'diet'? Do you eat breakfast?

All the above can help with feeling of weakness/low blood sugar.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Are you pg? If so could be gestational diabetes. I had it with DD and sugars need to be between 5-7 2 hours after eating, so the fact that it was only 4.5 after 1/2 hour is concerning. By 2 hours it would have dropped further and that can defiantly cause dizziness . I would ask GP for referral to get a glucose tolerance test ASAP

7. The Following User Says Thank You to pippi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to feel the same and had a whole heaps of tests run including for diabetes and nothing was found so I always put up with it.
    Few years down the track after that and I've been diagnosed with PCOS. I did a fasting glucose blood test which confirmed I have insulin resistance.
    So it's not diabetes but kind of works on the same premise (as far as I understand at least).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to nirok For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Being dehydrated can cause it as well.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to P0tat0gem For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Hi All! Thanks for replying. Just to answer some questions.

Definitely not dehydrated, I drink stack loads of water and always keep it in hand.

Not pregnant that I'm aware of.

I haven't tried low GI yet.

I eat breakfast.

Have stayed out of the heat.

It's so bizarre, might go check it out at the doctors if it persists. Nan is a diabetic. When I had my glucose test in 2011 with DD it was all clear.

Thanks so much for the replies

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by pippi View Post
    Are you pg? If so could be gestational diabetes. I had it with DD and sugars need to be between 5-7 2 hours after eating, so the fact that it was only 4.5 after 1/2 hour is concerning. By 2 hours it would have dropped further and that can defiantly cause dizziness . I would ask GP for referral to get a glucose tolerance test ASAP
    Is that test the same as the one they give you when pregnant?

Thanks
    Reviews

Yep. There is the standard 1 hour test at 28 weeks and if you fail that then you do the 2 hour fasting test. But they are the same for people who aren't pregnant too.

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi All, just an update. I had a few tests done and everything was fine.

I had a fasting blood sugar test done and my sugar levels were 3.7. So to me that doesn't seem bad but I have no idea. Doctor said it was a little low (normal but low side of normal).

He thinks this is the culprit for my dizzyness.

But not a concern to do anything more just eat small meals frequently to keep it up.