+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Does this sound 'normal' to you?

What are night angels?

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    What are night angels?
    They're people who come in to see if you need help settling and wrapping bubs nice and snug. My night angel would go and get a heated blanket and wrap DD up nice and snug and give her a little rock/pat back to sleep. It's very lovely

Thanks
    Reviews

Yes, I had my daughter at Mater Private.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    While private hospitals generally are more likely to be quick to offer what the OP described, all private hospitals aren't created equally

I work in Brisbane hospitals and there are private hospitals here that tout a pro natural/pro breastfeeding philosophy in their brochures, but whose policies are anything but. There are also public hospitals here that like to stick up pro breastfeeding posters but will not go out of their way one inch to actually help women breastfeed in situations that are even slightly out of the norm. (Logan Hospital, I'm looking at you.)

In my experience, if you want the pros of private cover but want to minimise this sort of thing, the Mater Private is probably the best bet. It's a large hospital and it deals with a wide variety of cases - this means their OB's are a bit more open minded than most, but that said, you need to seek out the ones who are really hands off as opposed to the ones who SAY they are.

Beware the OB who nods and smiles at you and agrees with everything you say from day one - because he is the one most likely to pull the rug out from under you at the last minute, when it's too late for you sack him. And he'll do it so subtly, that you'll think it's for your own good. A truly consultative OB will be upfront with you from the first appointment. They'll tell you why and when they will want to induce, what they'd do if your baby is breech at term, how often they perform episiotomies on first time mums. You might not like what he/she says, but at least you still have time to investigate alternatives. When you're 40 weeks pregnant and your OB wants to schedule your induction in two days time, because all of a sudden your until now perfectly functional placenta is in danger of exploding...there's a big power differential here, and you're vulnerable and it sucks.

You need to be savvy, and you need to ask questions that get down to brass tacks early on. What most women do, is pose a vague question about their cesarean rates...and the response is usually "I only do cesareans (or episiotomies, or inductions) when they're necessary"...and women come away believing they've engaged a low intervention OB. NO. You need to get smarter than that, ladies.
    Last edited by ~Emmylou~; 23-01-2013 at 23:44.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Emmylou~ For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (24-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by ~Emmylou~ View Post
    While private hospitals generally are more likely to be quick to offer what the OP described, all private hospitals aren't created equally

I work in Brisbane hospitals and there are private hospitals here that tout a pro natural/pro breastfeeding philosophy in their brochures, but whose policies are anything but. There are also public hospitals here that like to stick up pro breastfeeding posters but will not go out of their way one inch to actually help women breastfeed in situations that are even slightly out of the norm. (Logan Hospital, I'm looking at you.)

In my experience, if you want the pros of private cover but want to minimise this sort of thing, the Mater Private is probably the best bet. It's a large hospital and it deals with a wide variety of cases - this means their OB's are a bit more open minded than most, but that said, you need to seek out the ones who are really hands off as opposed to the ones who SAY they are.

Beware the OB who nods and smiles at you and agrees with everything you say from day one - because he is the one most likely to pull the rug out from under you at the last minute, when it's too late for you sack him. And he'll do it so subtly, that you'll think it's for your own good. A truly consultative OB will be upfront with you from the first appointment. They'll tell you why and when they will want to induce, what they'd do if your baby is breech at term, how often they perform episiotomies on first time mums. You might not like what he/she says, but at least you still have time to investigate alternatives. When you're 40 weeks pregnant and your OB wants to schedule your induction in two days time, because all of a sudden your until now perfectly functional placenta is in danger of exploding...there's a big power differential here, and you're vulnerable and it sucks.

You need to be savvy, and you need to ask questions that get down to brass tacks early on. What most women do, is pose a vague question about their cesarean rates...and the response is usually "I only do cesareans (or episiotomies, or inductions) when they're necessary"...and women come away believing they've engaged a low intervention OB. NO. You need to get smarter than that, ladies.
    Beautifully said and agree fully.

You need to walk in to that first appt and ask about their policy about breeches/overdue/length of labour/ pain management etc and WRITE it down in front of them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Emmylou~ View Post

What do you know about the North West Private in Brisbane that's where I'm going? Any tips for a first time mum to be??? I didn't register in time for antenatal classes and missed out... which Ive only just been informed when i called to ask about dates for classes. So I'm going in a bit blind sided.

Thanks
    Reviews

Normal for a private hospital imo.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pink ribbon View Post
    What do you know about the North West Private in Brisbane that's where I'm going? Any tips for a first time mum to be??? I didn't register in time for antenatal classes and missed out... which Ive only just been informed when i called to ask about dates for classes. So I'm going in a bit blind sided.
    I had DD there, and that's where I'm having my 2nd too.

Who's your obstetrician?

I had a great experience with the NWP, and so did all my friends who gave birth there. Mine was a c-section (by necessity), and my OB supported natural birth up until the very last minute when it became apparent one was needed.

I was treated very well there, and had great support from all the midwives. Hence why I am returning a 2nd time!

ETA - Sorry, just realised that question was aimed at someone, rather than a general 'what do you think' one! But there you go, that's my opinion anyway...!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

pink ribbon  (24-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by pink ribbon View Post
    You can attend private classes if you need, most are claimable on phi too. You may have to google them.

I have had 2 babies at nwph, loved it!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

pink ribbon  (24-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Definitely wasn't the norm for me and I gave birth in a private hospital!