+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Does this sound 'normal' to you?

Quote Originally Posted by KCT View Post
    I also had both my babies in a private hospital and my experience couldn't have been more different - breastfeeding was strongly encouraged, rooming in was encouraged (nursery was there for those who wanted to use it - I didn't), dilation checked throughout labour. So I would strongly disagree with putting this down to it being a private hospital! I would say it is all pretty unusual in this day and age - especially encouraging formula feeding in the first couple of days!
    Exactly ^^^^ this. I birthed both my boys at a private hossy in Melbourne and both times I was not even asked if I wanted an epi. I was asked if I was going to bf and then given a lot of encouragement and help to do that. I also used the nursery on the first night as I was so exhausted, but they brought bubs back for a feed. I could if used it each night of my 4 night stay but chose to have him with me. I don't think it's normal practice to encourage formula unless its something the mother wanted. Can I ask which hospital it was?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by firsttimeparents View Post
    Exactly ^^^^ this. I birthed both my boys at a private hossy in Melbourne and both times I was not even asked if I wanted an epi. I was asked if I was going to bf and then given a lot of encouragement and help to do that. I also used the nursery on the first night as I was so exhausted, but they brought bubs back for a feed. I could if used it each night of my 4 night stay but chose to have him with me. I don't think it's normal practice to encourage formula unless its something the mother wanted. Can I ask which hospital it was?
    Yes same for me.

Well a further update - just called to check on her as she's going home today. Asked about the b/f and everything is really good. She said the midwives have shown her several different positions and been very helpful and positive.

BUT she was still offered another night of f/f last night if she wanted a full nights sleep before going home?! Now as lovely and tempting as this sounds, I just don't get it myself.

Am I allowed to mention hospital? Mods please delete if not appropriate - it's Epworth Freemasons.

Thanks
    Reviews

Wow epworth Freemasons is where I birthed both my boys and had the complete opposite experience. Maybe it was a discussion between your friend and the midwives

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

People who judge us for wanting someone to 'babysit' our babies are also the type of people who will go on about how 'it takes a village' etc.
    we can't win in the west can we? We get told that in other cultures it takes a village, then get told we should do it all on our own with no help, and just suck it up.

I'm not referring to anything you said op.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 4underfour For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (17-01-2013),MINIRoo  (25-01-2013),smallpotatoes  (17-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

I birthed twice at epworth Freemasons too and completely different experience. Midwives checked dilation nearly as soon as I arrived, heart rate monitor popped on immediately but i think they asked my permission first, and offered gas first then pethadine then epidural. I felt like the midwife on duty that night wasn't too caring though, all she did was check the monitors. Hardly any words of encouragement or expressed any concern.

And plenty of help with breastfeeding. No objection when I asked for formula (so I could catch a couple hours sleep), but otherwise plenty of support for breastfeeding.

They're quite 'generous' with pain killers though (i had emergency Caesar for ds1, then planned Caesar ds2) but I did need them and it helped with rooming in.

I hadn't spelt out upfront to them either that these were my wishes, so assumed that this was their general attitude towards all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by iammom View Post
    I birthed twice at epworth Freemasons too and completely different experience. Midwives checked dilation nearly as soon as I arrived, heart rate monitor popped on immediately but i think they asked my permission first, and offered gas first then pethadine then epidural. I felt like the midwife on duty that night wasn't too caring though, all she did was check the monitors. Hardly any words of encouragement or expressed any concern.

And plenty of help with breastfeeding. No objection when I asked for formula (so I could catch a couple hours sleep), but otherwise plenty of support for breastfeeding.

They're quite 'generous' with pain killers though (i had emergency Caesar for ds1, then planned Caesar ds2) but I did need them and it helped with rooming in.

I hadn't spelt out upfront to them either that these were my wishes, so assumed that this was their general attitude towards all.
    Yes it's interesting isn't it - very similar to my friend. She did say that the midwife she had for the first few nights was early 60's, so maybe that played a part?

I'm not suggesting for a minute the hospital has done anything 'wrong', there will be hundreds of ladies with positive experiences there. In fact my friend isn't complaining either, as she knew no different, so all good

I guess I just had such a complete different experience, that I wondered which was more 'normal' or standard.

Some women do decline checks for dilation too though I've now learnt through here (not that my friend did), whereas I thought it was 'standard' when I birthed DS1 so didn't think anything of it when they asked!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Etienne View Post
    I can't believe people think its ok to hand your couple of hours old infant to a babysitter.
    A babysitter? As in, a team of midwives whose job it is to support mother and baby in the hospital?

Yes, far be it that a new mother, who may be injured/ recovering from a difficult birth/ surgery/ exhaustion, should need any rest or support from anyone...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

smallpotatoes  (17-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

That is all so sad I birthed at a private hospital and had a natural birth, no drugs, breast fed with absolutely no formula offered (I would decline anyway!!) and bubba never left my side! In fact it was hospital policy that the baby stays with a parent at all times. I find it so sad the way c-sections are just given so easily. It's good your friend is happy with the care she received though! But yes I think it's very odd. I'd be horrified if that was me.

Thanks
    Reviews

I birthed also at a private hospital, told them didn't want interference and they were fine, very supportive of natural birth. I asked for gas and used it for an hour until pushing.

No offer of epi. I was checked but only twice through whole thing. They knew where I was at by listening to me, last few Centimeters were quite quick so grunting gave it away and nurse called OB without even checking me.

Breastfeeding was not just supported but solely encouraged, no mention of formula once and I had issues at first.

Rooming in was only option, night angels helped settle DD at night when we were struggling (just new parents without a clue).

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by BrissieGal2013 View Post
    I birthed also at a private hospital, told them didn't want interference and they were fine, very supportive of natural birth. I asked for gas and used it for an hour until pushing.

No offer of epi. I was checked but only twice through whole thing. They knew where I was at by listening to me, last few Centimeters were quite quick so grunting gave it away and nurse called OB without even checking me.

Breastfeeding was not just supported but solely encouraged, no mention of formula once and I had issues at first.

Rooming in was only option, night angels helped settle DD at night when we were struggling (just new parents without a clue).
    Sounds just like my experience did you go to Mater Private? That's where I went

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast