+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default To keep bf or not WWYD

Hi everyone some of you will be familiar with my bf journey so far but I am now at a point where I need to make a decision whether to keep bf or not.
    I love bf and was hoping to continue, introduce cows milk at 1 and then continue with bf's then BUT this is my 5th bout of mastitis, this time DH is home from work so that I can rest. So it is impacting on my health, DH work and my work too, not to mention my 3yo who needs his Mummy well.

DH and I discussed it and I asked him if he wanted me to give up bf and he said I have done an amazing job and he didnt see it as me giving up, maybe it was just time to stop bf. I got extremely sad (teared up) because I really want to continue.

WWYD?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I would continue and see bf through. I experienced block ducts and mastitis numerous times throughout my breastfeeding days. It's hell for sure but for me it was worth it.
    At the end of the day it comes down to what's best for you and what you really want to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I wouldn't give up bf. Are you stressed? My mum swears stress brings on mastitis.

Sounds wierd but rub a mixture of tumeric and honey on your nipples. Family remedy for mastitis. You can wash off before bub feeds.

Thanks
    Reviews

Anyone who bf's for even the smallest amount of time has done a great job. It's hard work. I'm lucky to not of experienced anything like that but have had bfing dramas with my dd.
    Look at what's best for you and the family. Weight it up and make your decision. Don't feel guilty or like you have failed if you do stop bfing. If that's what's best for you and the family then do it!

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks everyone I am going to continue. I guess I feel a little pressure from DH and others..this being coupled with the sleep deprivation (bub not sleeping well) makes a bottle/formula look attractive to them

Will try honey and turmeric if there is a next time, lets hope not though!
    It's always when bub changes his sleep patterns/goes longer for a feed that does it to me, also a little tired!

Thanks
    Reviews

Hopefully you won't have any more health problems that effect your bfing. Good luck. I'm sorry your feeling pressured.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    one of the biggest causes of blocked ducts and mastitis is lack of rest. not easy to do with 2kids, but maybe try to rest a little more to prevent it.
    also ultrasound treatment on the affected area helps to heal really quickly. i had this done by a womens health physio.
    also if you get blocked ducts that turn into mastitis try to clear the blockages gently before it gets to mastitis. have you had bleps or milk blisters with the mastitis too? google how to get rid of them. i used a clean pin very gently to dislodge the milk blister and fed DD that side and it cleared up really quickly.

i'd continue to BF...you want to continue and if you stop before you're (or bub) is really ready, you won't be happy with the decision

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Jaspat24 View Post
    one of the biggest causes of blocked ducts and mastitis is lack of rest. not easy to do with 2kids, but maybe try to rest a little more to prevent it.
    also ultrasound treatment on the affected area helps to heal really quickly. i had this done by a womens health physio.
    also if you get blocked ducts that turn into mastitis try to clear the blockages gently before it gets to mastitis. have you had bleps or milk blisters with the mastitis too? google how to get rid of them. i used a clean pin very gently to dislodge the milk blister and fed DD that side and it cleared up really quickly.

i'd continue to BF...you want to continue and if you stop before you're (or bub) is really ready, you won't be happy with the decision
    Yes I am guilty of always trying to fit in too much so am now trying to scale back abit. DH and I have scaled work back for this year while the kids are so small, that leaves me with a minimal workload, looking after the kids and my almost fulltime study. In between I need to make a conscious effort to rest and recharge!

Twice i managed to stop it at blocked duct stage but the other times the fevers etc set in really fast. Have had 1 milk blister this time which I managed to get rid of. I have repeats of antibiotics to take when this happens too.

Thanks