+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think it's only a gift grab to people who think that a shower is just about gifts.

I don't think a baby shower is about gifts. In my tradition, a baby shower is a celebration of the mother's steps into a new role. It's about celebrating a child coming into the world and the miracle of life.
    I always take a gift to a shower if I go because it's so rare that I am able to visit a new mum in hospital (and frankly I don't like to intrude, not everyone wants heaps of visitors) but I don't feel compelled to because the mother 'expects' it.

But then perhaps that's just because I choose my friends carefully and I know that all of my friends would appreciate the hand made beanie that I've made for their bub far more than a blanket set or something like that *chuckle*. Love in every stitch and all that kind of thing .

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (16-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Baby shower spin off- am I the only one that doesn't agree?

Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I don't like them either.

Catching up with friends over lunch to celebrate, yes.

Sitting in a room playing strange games, that feel like versions of primary school party games and watching while mother to be opens each present, bloody painful.

I love giving presents just not like this.

Disclaimer: I understand not all baby showers are like this.
    Absolutely!
    Those games just make my stomach turn.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    PMSL! I kept the first two then when the next one after that fell out DP said "you arent going to be the weird mother that gives their child a box of teeth...is he REALLY going to want to see all this teeth one day?". I still have the first two...going to stick them in the baby album...one day...when I can be bothered getting around to it. I stopped sticking pics in when he was about 10months old.....he is now 8
    People give them to their kids? I wasn't planning on that...I just have them. Each in their own little baggy, labelled with the date it fell out, and what position in the mouth it had. I just keep them in this little keepsake box full of sentimental junk of hers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The thing that bothers me is you are expected to give a gift (well that's how I was made to feel at the few I went too) and then of course you buy something when the baby is born so I guess at the risk of sounding grinchy it seems a bit full on.

I also don't like the games, toilet paper games in general drive me bonkers, toilet paper has an odour I just don't like lol.

I didn't have one for either of mine, it would have been hypocritical and nobody offered to do one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it really depends on the person.
    I was invited to one not long ago and it came with a list and you could only buy gifts off that list. It even said at the bottem of the invite only gifts from the list in these brands please. I thought it was so rude so I didn't go.
    For my baby shower we are having a BBQ in the park so both sides of the family can meet, men and women.
    Nothing fancy just a great excuse to catch up, rather then gifts I have asked a few people to help out with salads.

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews

For my next one ill be having a 'baby-Q' and request NO presents men and women will come

Thanks
    Reviews
    I find that even when I specifiy 'no presents' most people buy one anyway which suggests to me that most people do so because they want to, not because they feel pressured to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I think one thing that makes guests feel uncomfy about the present thing is when everyone is made to sit down and the presents are opened in front of all the other guests. "Ooh, look this is from 'Jane', a lovely silver dummy from Tiffany's". Next present "ooh, look this is from 'Tina', a target jumpsuit". Kind of hard not to feel bad if you are Tina.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    Is this the part where I feel like a weirdo for having kept every single one of DD's lost teeth?
    Grooossssssss!!

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    People give them to their kids? I wasn't planning on that...I just have them. Each in their own little baggy, labelled with the date it fell out, and what position in the mouth it had. I just keep them in this little keepsake box full of sentimental junk of hers.
    I do that too…… never realized it was weird until my gf and my DP (not the boys' father) made fun of me for it. I can't not do it though, my mum kept all mine and I thought it was awesome lol.