+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    I guess at the end of the day, if you don't like them don't participate.

To be honest it's only on bubhub that I've seen this attitude to baby showers. Most people I know love buying presents for friends babies and making cupcakes to bring along. It's about celebrating a new baby and your friend. You can spend $10 or $50 or just bring a plate of food, it doesn't matter. It's not about the gifts.
    Unless there are a heck of a lot of people reluctantly attending baby showers with a fake smile on their faces.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    I definitely didn't have one for the presents. I despise pewter photo frames, teeth boxes and tacky "My first..." items. No offence to anyone, it's just not my taste.

I don't care how many baby showers a person has. I can't say I have ever judged someone for having more than one. Do people actually care?

They are a great excuse to catch up with girlfriends, eat and laugh.
    Is this the part where I feel like a weirdo for having kept every single one of DD's lost teeth?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Baby shower spin off- am I the only one that doesn't agree?

Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Unless there are a heck of a lot of people reluctantly attending baby showers with a fake smile on their faces.
    You are right, maybe lots of people are pretending.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    You are right, maybe lots of people are pretending.
    I don't think i have been invited to a 2nd baby shower before.
    Although if I was I would go and bring a small gift especially if there's not much if a gap between.
    I can understand if there's been a huge gap between. There's always new cool gorgeous stuff coming out that a new age mum needs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothel View Post
    I hate them. I refused to have one for either of my bubs tho my friends wanted to organise it for me. I never organised one for a friend tho because she wanted it. And I had to go. A bunch of women who are strangers sitting around playing dumb games, sorry really not my cup of tea. I find them so awkward and forced.
    Can anyone tell me what happens with presents? Do you never to give one at the shower and another after the birth? Or just one at the shower? What's the norm?
    I have no idea what type of baby shower you'd be attending where you'd be with a bunch of strangers. I've only ever been invited to those who are close friends. Like Witwicky said it's an opportunity to catch up with girlfriends, eat and laugh.

As for presents, again I only ever go to those who are close to me. I buy a present for the shower and another for the birth. But I don't mind buying newborns presents - it gives me an immense amount of joy particularly as after 3 kids I have a bit more of an idea what is appreciated. I don't see it as grasping or grabbing at all. Must just be a reflection on my circle.

Thanks
    Reviews

I have no idea what type of baby shower you'd be attending where you'd be with a bunch of strangers. I've only ever been invited to those who are close friends. Like Witwicky said it's an opportunity to catch up with girlfriends, eat and laugh.

As for presents, again I only ever go to those who are close to me. I buy a present for the shower and another for the birth. But I don't mind buying newborns presents - it gives me an immense amount of joy particularly as after 3 kids I have a bit more of an idea what is appreciated. I don't see it as grasping or grabbing at all. Must just be a reflection on my circle.
    I'm exactly the same, I love buying baby presents for close friends. I also don't understand why it would be a bunch of strangers either? Are some of these baby showers rent a crowd or something.

Thanks
    Reviews

Wow so many people have such negative opinions on baby showers. I love them! I don't think of them as a gift grab, I think of them as a way to celebrate an exciting time and to have a nice girly afternoon! Can't anything just be done because its fun anymore?
    My baby shower was about 15 ladies, all very close friends or family and we had a yummy lunch and played games. If there wasn't presents I wouldn't have minded at all!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Just*Ace For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (16-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Baby shower spin off- am I the only one that doesn't agree?

Not the ones I've been to. And I say that because most people I know talk about going to baby showers in an excited way, saying nice things about them.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I don't like them either.

Catching up with friends over lunch to celebrate, yes.

Sitting in a room playing strange games, that feel like versions of primary school party games and watching while mother to be opens each present, bloody painful.

I love giving presents just not like this.

Disclaimer: I understand not all baby showers are like this.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    Is this the part where I feel like a weirdo for having kept every single one of DD's lost teeth?
    PMSL! I kept the first two then when the next one after that fell out DP said "you arent going to be the weird mother that gives their child a box of teeth...is he REALLY going to want to see all this teeth one day?". I still have the first two...going to stick them in the baby album...one day...when I can be bothered getting around to it. I stopped sticking pics in when he was about 10months old.....he is now 8