+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Baby shower spin off- am I the only one that doesn't agree?

I love the unified " aaawwwwwww!" from everyone there when a cute little teeny baby outfit is unwrapped and held up for all to see hehe

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (16-01-2013),SassyMummy  (16-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Baby shower spin off- am I the only one that doesn't agree?

Quote Originally Posted by beccajane85 View Post
    I can't believe how many ppl think baby showers are a gift grab! Yes I think some that invite the masses are but I can't imagine that would be a common thing.
    I received an invitation to a persons 26th birthday the other day, I haven't seen this person in 6 yrs. along with the invitation was a card which read "please don't bring me a present, I want cash for my trip". Now that is a gift grab!!
    lol

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Baby shower spin off- am I the only one that doesn't agree?

I can't believe how many ppl think baby showers are a gift grab! Yes I think some that invite the masses are but I can't imagine that would be a common thing.
    I received an invitation to a persons 26th birthday the other day, I haven't seen this person in 6 yrs. along with the invitation was a card which read "please don't bring me a present, I want cash for my trip". Now that is a gift grab!!
    I agree. I just don't see the big deal in buying a present for a friends new baby and celebrating with some cake and champagne. There seem to be a lot of people on BH who really oppose baby showers, I find it quite grinchy.
    Last edited by Clementine Grace; 16-01-2013 at 15:12.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (16-01-2013),peanutmonkey  (16-01-2013),SoThisIsLove  (16-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    Not everyone will have all baby items for their 2nd... was I really supposed to lug around DD's baby gear for 7+ years?

Why can men not attend? Are men not allowed to be excited about babies? I had guy come to mine - because he was just as much a friend as any of my female friends were and I wanted him there.
    I'm such a tool! I thought it was some American tradition to offer mangos at a baby shower!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathermy View Post
    I'm such a tool! I thought it was some American tradition to offer mangos at a baby shower!!
    BHAHAHA!

I had to read it a few times first too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I wouldn't call them a gift grab, but isn't the idea to shower the family with gifts? Or is it meant to be shower with love?
    I always thought it was a way to help the new family with having enough baby stuff, as so many of us are struggling when we have baby one, or were in the past perhaps when people had babies you get and hasn't established themselves financially... I go to them when asked with the intention of honouring that charitable spirit of old, and Helping the new mum to create a community of support.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I had one for my first and we had a blast. I had nothing to do with its organisation - didn't even know it was on until the day before. Men were included if they wanted to come - it was anyone who was close enough to me bascially.

I didn't have one for #2 as I didn't want one and explicitly told anyone who might organise it not to.

For #3 we had moved to Perth and a few distant relatives of DH's orgnaised one. Men and women were included. I didn't really enjoy it as I didn't know anyone ery well and felt large, hot and uncomfortable, but DD1 and DD2 loved seeing all the baby things. We got very few presents and they were tiny, but I was chuffed that his family went to the trouble. The food was delicious too.

I won't have one for #4, although I could actually do with the stuff as we've given everything away in the expectation we weren't having anymore. But no way will I have one. If anything we might have our closest friends come to the surf club for some drinks and nibbles before my due date.

If other people want to have them doesn't bother me one bit. I went to one last year where all the guests draw on bonds singlets for the baby to be and the mum to be got to keep about 12 original designs. It was lovely. What's so wrong about celebrating the impending arrival? If I invited someone I would hope they would take it in the spirit it was intended.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I always buy presents for new babies and their mummy's , baby shower or not, if I get invited to one and I don't really know or like the person I don't go! ( only happened once!)

I have hosted about 6 showers between friends and family so I had a heap people offer to throw me one! I had aunts/cousins/friends fly in from interstate and it was a fantastic day which turned into night celebrating me finally having a kid!

A few people asked what I needed so I told them, mum and my sisters/in laws were all buying me stuff so just gave it to me then

my brother organized a separate "shower" for DH and all his mates at a track day , the boys spent all day racing around Phillip island and they bought DS a mini Ducati - DH said it was a great day

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've been to several baby showers, and never thought that any of them were 'gift grabs'. TBH I've only heard that phrase on here, and I've never heard the sentiment echoed by anyone IRL.

To me, baby showers are a chance to celebrate with friends and family. The present part is irrelevant. Sure, people usually buy presents, but that's not what it's about - any more than a birthday party is about the presents!

And I think most people love buying presents for newborns anyway - I know I do! It's not often you get the chance to buy teeny tiny outfits, and blatantly cute stuff. I had a girl, and most of my friends have boys, so I loved the opportunity to buy cute little boy outfits for them.

I'm planning on a baby shower for my 2nd, but specifying that no gifts are expected. TBH, the only reason I'm specifying that at all is because of some of the threads and opinions I've seen on here over the years, and I don't want anyone misunderstanding me!

I would say that it's a pretty mean spirited friend who doesn't want to come and celebrate another friend's happy news.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Wow! What cheek! Mind you I got invited to a housewarming which specifically requested gift vouchers from myer rather than a housewarming present. Now that's a bit presumptive!