+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I feel honoured when I am invited to a baby shower, be it for 1st baby, 2nd baby 13th baby - it makes no difference to me!

Prior to bubhub it would never have occurred to me that people thought it was a 'present grab'. Odd.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (16-01-2013),Bennos Mummy  (16-01-2013),Lincolns mummy  (16-01-2013),peanutmonkey  (16-01-2013),SoThisIsLove  (16-01-2013),White Mage  (16-01-2013),wrena  (16-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had a baby shower with my first. I invited quiet a few people too. I wanted the shower as a chance to see my friends before becoming a Mum, as I knew I probably weren't going to be seeing any of them for a while after. I told them that they didn't have to bring a gift, just themselves.

I have been to baby showers, and I don't think any I have been to have been like that OP.
    In saying that though, I do know a couple of people that have had a baby shower, EVERY child, to get stuff. That's literally what they would say.

So I guess it depends on the people you know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I also dont care if a friend has a shower for subsequent children... as i said in my PP, im going to buy that bubba a present regardless!! I WANT to buy gifts though, i dont see the showers as a MUST buy gifts.

I am organising my sisters shower and she asked what registeries were because a number of her friends have asked where her registery is at. We wont be setting one up though. My sister doest expect anything from her guests..... she just expects her big sister to throw her an awesome party with awesome food and lots of fun. Mission happily accepted!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Not everyone will have all baby items for their 2nd... was I really supposed to lug around DD's baby gear for 7+ years?

Quote Originally Posted by MummaJez View Post
    Ps. What I don't get in the USA is when the the mango to baby showers too!
    Why can men not attend? Are men not allowed to be excited about babies? I had guy come to mine - because he was just as much a friend as any of my female friends were and I wanted him there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

Default Re: Baby shower spin off- am I the only one that doesn't agree?

Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    Not everyone will have all baby items for their 2nd... was I really supposed to lug around DD's baby gear for 7+ years?
    Not only that but why do presents have to be something you need? At my baby shower for DS1 I got nappies, wipes, baby wash, cute outfits, blankets etc. What if the first baby was a girl and second is a boy? Or hell, what if you had a reflux baby whose constant spewing destroyed the majority of the clothes?

Gifts for a new baby are my favourite type of presents to buy. I absolutely love it. So baby shower or no baby shower, friends of mine who have babies are going to get presents regardless

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

tiggerfields is offline Priestess of Kult K'iesha... Mooo!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Why can men not attend? Are men not allowed to be excited about babies? I had guy come to mine - because he was just as much a friend as any of my female friends were and I wanted him there.
    Agreed and agreed, I have NONE of DS's baby stuff left! My first baby shower was a big theme party for boys and girls, Arabian Nights theme. We had middle eastern food and a belly dancer, it was on a Saturday night, everyone dressed up, heaps of drinks etc, it was awesome

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Baby shower spin off- am I the only one that doesn't agree?

I think it's for women to have bonding time before a pending arrival. Just my opinion. I don't know many husbands that would be excited to attend one and play games ect. But again my opinion.

Thanks
    Reviews

My best friend has organised a baby shower for me, with my input. I feel very blessed that she has wanted to do this, as she is not a big "shower" person. She suggested a registry so that people know what we still need to buy, and she doesn't have to constantly answer the question of "what does she need/want" without knowing what others have bought. BUT we don't expect gifts and definitely won't be like "oh such and such didn't bring anything!". I did a lot of worrying that I would offend people, but anyone who knows me, knows I'm not just after gifts!
    I have invited quite a few people. A fair amount of them won't be able to make it due to being in different parts of the state, but I still wanted them to feel included. I also get along very well with a lot of ladies at my work, and so many of them ask about bub and show so much interest, that I have a lot of people from work on my guest list. But nearly everyone will know everyone, and I don't want anyone to be left out. So I might seem like I'm inviting lots of people to get lots of presents, but to be honest I will be very happy if everyone just comes and has a good time and a laugh before I become a hermit with a newborn

I also always buy things for friends babies. Even not close friends. Whether I go to their shower or not. I love to buy something for their babies, and see them open a present and get excited! Plus baby stuff is so small, who wouldn't love shopping for booties and onesies?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Oh, yeah I didn't get any "stuff you need," either. Apart from people buying me bibs or whatever, there were no big items for me. I wouldn't want big items as I said earlier in the thread either... and I've never given a big item. I always see it as people get a chance to go buy cutesy baby crap they don't otherwise get a chance to buy (if they don't have babies themselves).

I know a few middle-aged or older women got all excited buying little tiny baby stuff for me... just because it's fun to buy tiny cute baby stuff.

Thanks
    Reviews

I can't believe how many ppl think baby showers are a gift grab! Yes I think some that invite the masses are but I can't imagine that would be a common thing.
    I received an invitation to a persons 26th birthday the other day, I haven't seen this person in 6 yrs. along with the invitation was a card which read "please don't bring me a present, I want cash for my trip". Now that is a gift grab!!