+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My baby shower was really just a long lunch with my best friends, I loved it! My best friend organised it and I requested no presents but I still was given some beautiful items. I don't see them as a gift grab but as a time to celebrate the new little person about to join the world. Not sure if I will have one for this baby or not. If I do I will again request no presents.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Baby shower spin off- am I the only one that doesn't agree?

Well at my baby show MIL organized it and I didn't know MOST people. Trust me it wasn't by choice!!! It was all her church friends.

It was pretty awkward and I'd have preferred they weren't there but I didn't even know they were all invited

Thanks
    Reviews

Maybe it's the women having the baby showers, not the baby shower itself..

I've never been to one with a gift registry, lots of the ones I have been to recently had a lot of beautiful handmade gifts.

The last one I went to was for a very good friend and she actually burst into tears opening the presents because she was quite overwhelmed and didn't expect so many. She also got some beautiful handmade things.

Maybe it depends on the type of woman having the shower, which determines if its a "present grab" or not.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Baby shower spin off- am I the only one that doesn't agree?

Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    Baby showers are awesome. I love going to them and I love buying gifts for people. I dont care if it's their first or fifth baby, babies are awesome and they should all be celebrated.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub
    lol agreeing with u once again

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (16-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    Maybe it's the women having the baby showers, not the baby shower itself..

I've never been to one with a gift registry, lots of the ones I have been to recently had a lot of beautiful handmade gifts.

The last one I went to was for a very good friend and she actually burst into tears opening the presents because she was quite overwhelmed and didn't expect so many. She also got some beautiful handmade things.

Maybe it depends on the type of woman having the shower, which determines if its a "present grab" or not.
    Totally agree with this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    It's easy to get that vibe when you're invited to baby showers for people that you have met once or people that have never laid eyes on your almost 2 year old child, clearly you aren't friends. Or when every baby shower that you're invited to has stipulated what gifts they want. Or when you hear remarks that 'betty blue only gave me this'. Or when there are always threads on bubhub about ways to tell people that you want certain presents or gifts cards. Or when the Mum-to-be makes specific lay-bys for people to put money on. Or when so many people think it's only acceptable to have a baby shower for your first otherwise you're double dipping in the present department.

Like I said in my OP, I would much rather catch up for my last lunch with friends/family before the baby comes, no strings attached, then if people want to bring a present after bub is born, so be it, but not when it's obligatory.

If baby showers aren't about the presents, as everyone seems to tell themselves, then why isn't it okay to have more than one baby shower?
    sometimes people put gift suggestions together because their friends ask for one! I felt uncomfortable about it and the invites said something along the lines of "please don't feel obliged to bring a gift, everyone has been so generous already" but people kept asking my mum and best friend what I needed so I wrote a list for mum.

Don't forget that the first time around you have more time for these things and to indulge a little, it's harder with a toddler in tow! I agree with London, people who get all funny about their own narrow idea of what a baby shower is/means tend to discourage a repeat event for future bubs.

How is having an organised lunch with friends all that different to hosting a shower? I'd still consider that a baby shower and would buy a gift. I love buying gifts for people so any excuse I guess!

You last comment is a bit rude, you're implying I'm lying to myself about why I had a baby shower. And FTR, there's nothing wrong with having one for subsequent babies, I think people just tend to do it for their first because they're becoming a mum for the first time - I think showers traditionally are about getting advice and support from other mums to prepare you for motherhood, so with subsequent babies you kinda already know the drill. So maybe because they're more about entering into motherhood rather than celebrating that particular baby?

Anyhoo, they're just a bit of fun, if you don't like them don't have one or attend one - let others have their fun.

Thanks
    Reviews

A full baby shower for first is great. A nice lunch or high tea in celebration of other babies is nice. I don't agree with lots of presents for second though. Most of the time you should already have everything for the baby.

I think maybe something small or even a joint present from the people attending is a nice idea. Maybe $20 or so. Usually at baby showers I spend about $50.

I had a baby shower organised by my sis and SIL, we had so much food and punch, champas ect. It was so much fun! I only had very close friends and close family come. It was perfect

Thanks
    Reviews

Ps. What I don't get in the USA is when the the mango to baby showers too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My best friends organised my baby shower for my first, which was really just an afternoon tea with our very close knit group and their mums (my mum didn't live in the same city and I'm very close with their families), and my MIL and SILs. It was really just a celebration of our baby, everyone was SO excited. Luckily too, because we were BROKE, so the nappies, breastpump etc that people bought were very much needed and appreciated. It was only very close friends there, no games or pink/blue cupcakes, formal invitations etc, but they did all guess the DOB, sex and weight which I still have somewhere and is very much cherished. It was such an exciting time in my life.

My second, another group of friends threw me a baby shower. We'd moved cities and they were people I didn't know very well (husband's colleague's wives!) but it was a lovely gesture to welcome me into their circle I think. Got some token little gifts that I didn't need but was the thought that counts!

Third, a group of mums from school organised a little morning tea and I received a few little things like toiletries etc. Really just a get together which was lovely.

Fourth and fifth, my sister and one of my besties organised a group of my friends (some of whom they didn't know personally but knew I was close to) for a lovely lunch to celebrate the upcoming birth of my twins. They asked no gifts, and instead to offer a 'service', like some meals, babysitting, cleaning etc, which was so lovely. It was a beautiful lunch and I was so touched that they had remembered to invite all these amazing women in my life that they didn't even know (and of course people still bought gifts, but more for me than the babies!).

I love baby showers, mother blessings, whatever. I've never been to any that are big affairs with acquaintances, only small gatherings with close friends, mums, aunties etc. There are always gifts but never extravagant. I see them as a celebration of the impending birth, and to honour the mother-to-be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    I think people just tend to do it for their first because they're becoming a mum for the first time - I think showers traditionally are about getting advice and support from other mums to prepare you for motherhood, so with subsequent babies you kinda already know the drill. So maybe because they're more about entering into motherhood rather than celebrating that particular baby?
    Yes I agree with this, I think thats why its usually just women, and includes the mothers, MILs etc, its sort of an initiation into motherhood. Kind of like 'wetting the baby's head' is reserved for the men.