+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Baby shower spin off- am I the only one that doesn't agree?

Last edited by atomicmama; 28-07-2013 at 22:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I dunno, why does anyone have a party/celebration? It's a ritual and fun I guess. I don't really see a baby shower as distinct from say a birthday party, going away party etc. All just ways to celebrate milestones and important events with those we love. The presents are generally the last thing on my mind, I'm there for the food! Lol kidding

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mathermy For This Useful Post:

Alicia92  (16-01-2013),αληθη  (16-01-2013),PR2bMum  (16-01-2013),smallpotatoes  (16-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Oh wow, ok. Hmm. I had a baby shower, it was for a bit of fun! And I invited good friends and close family, not everyone I'd ever met. I have great friends and family and they all wanted to celebrate the upcoming arrival of our first baby. I didn't want heaps of presents but people really wanted to get me something so I asked for lots of basics - linen, bath stuff, singlets etc.

Baby showers are fun! It's nice to celebrate when someone is about to become a mum for the first time.

I won't have one for the next baby, but that's got nothing to do with how 'important' that baby will be. I will probably do a girls lunch or something. You only become a mum for the first time once, there's nothing wrong with making that special.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

PR2bMum  (16-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

I had a baby shower for my first. I also see no real difference in celebrating a birthday, naming day, Christmas. It's a special milestone to celebrate with family and friends. I invited family and friends that would be apart of my daughters life I didn't just hand invites out to anyone.
    It's not about the presents well that's not how I saw it, yes it's lovely that ppl but you gifts but its more about spending some time with friends and family before bubs arrives.
    I won't have one for the next baby and that's nothing to do with loving them less or not being as excited. I think I'll just have a nice lunch out with the girls or something like that.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    I have found that every baby shower I have been to there are a lot of people there that don't really have much to do with the Mum-to-be (especially noticed this at a bff's shower) and it seemed like they were inviting lots of people to get presents.
    ?
    it's funny you should mention this.
    I have been invited to a kind of friends baby shower, she is a friend but we never hang out, I wouldn't invite her to dd's party.. I kind of just know her.
    Any who, I was dodgy and RSVP'd a day late, then a few days later I had to let her know that work now wants me on that day (we need the money)
    She has gone off her nut, Put a cryptic message up on Facebook about me... I have already got her a present and didn't want it to go to waste so I sent her a text just saying that yep I know your ****ed at me, but I did get the baby a present so should I just send it via post or can we arrange for me to give it to you?
    I got a reply back straight away with her all happy, she is going to come over and pick it up, and the post is now gone off facebook.

I think I will go to baby showers in the future if OTHERS have organized it for the mum to be and the main aim doesn't seem to be presents.
    But if it isn't under those circumstances then I won't even bother anymore.

The present I bought this mum wasn't on the gift register, she even has a FB group set up so others can post what they have bought so she doesn't get "doubles" of what's in the register.
    I wonder if she will be mega ****ed at my choice of presents

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lumi For This Useful Post:

Alicia92  (16-01-2013),fairyflossy  (19-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ive never been to one and thought it was just to receive presents.

I like the celebration/catch up/games/food aspect of them. I am more than happy to buy a gift for the mum to be or baby. I would buy one even if they didnt have a baby shower.

DS arrived 2 days before my shower but i'll still have one for my second. Even if i specify 'no gifts' i will still want to have a party.

I dont know. Sometimes if you think too much about things it takes the fun out of it

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bennos Mummy For This Useful Post:

PR2bMum  (16-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I don't like them as traditional play games and get gifts.

We used it as an excuse to have a party guys included. We asked for no gifts as we had bought everything anyway but still most people came with gifts like bath stuff nappies etc that we would run out of.

I see it as gift grab too .. Always have and that's why I felt awkward having one but thought if we just have a normal party say it's for our last bit of freedom before baby comes and no gifts then it wasn't really a shower.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    No idea.

DD is 7.5 and we'll not be trying for more until mid 2014... so there's going to be lots of years in between. It will be DP's first child, and I have a whole new set of friends now... and it'll probably change again by then too. If someone wants to throw me a baby shower, I'll be happy with that.

If not, I might just have a lunch out somewhere to celebrate.

If people want to buy us small gifts that would be much appreciated, but I don't expect to get big ticket items at a baby shower and would actually be somewhat annoyed if someone got me these things. I want to choose what I'll need myself... others can get me little token gifts if they really feel like they want to. I won't care if they get me nothing more than a card.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Gift grab ...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm sure you could go along to a baby shower and just turn up without a present if you wanted to. But really I think that's rude, and if you think it's all about presents, then don't go! lol....

New babies deserve to be celebrated. That's why even without a baby shower, people buy gifts for new babies. Flowers when they're born. Hospital visits from friends. Sending cards to the home. Making meals. Helping out.

Yes baby showers are fun, and sometimes silly. I had a big baby shower for my first with my friends. And this weekend I'm having 5 people over for a little mini shower for my second baby. I don't want presents, or games, or silly things. I just want afternoon tea with my friends and family, and to celebrate our little man's arrival. I didn't plan it, and I feel a bit embarassed to have a second "shower", but my second baby will be celebrated just as much as my first.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunnyskies For This Useful Post:

MrJones&Me  (16-01-2013),nat84u  (16-01-2013)