+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Returning to work - a bit worried

Well my youngest has just turned 4 and about to start kindy so I have decided to look for some part time work.

I'm really nervous as I did return to work a couple of years ago but it was too much as my daughter was really ill that winter and I have little back up support so I had to resign.

I have been out of the workforce for 4 years, before then I worked full time for 13 years. I worry about how I will cope, how I will do kindy and school drop-offs, being reliable with 2 young children and when they get sick.
    And then I have to find a job first, there aren't that many around that I get excited to apply for. I really only want to work a couple of days a week for the next couple of years and these jobs are highly competitive!

Ahhh I'm scared about it all!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hope you find something. Is the job because you'll be bored or is it for financial reasons? If you can afford to be picky- be picky, but otherwise know why your doing it. A means to an end so you can spend lots of time with your kids- it doesn't have to be something you love, as long as it puts money in the bank. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you Financially I'm ok, it's more that I think I should start working due to having spare time with my youngest away 2.5 days a week, also with PPS requirements I will need to work when she is 6 so getting a head start, I dont want to be forced to work a job I really dont like and that is full time hours (Which I read they can force you to do)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Are the jobs you are looking at the type that you can work from home if your child is sick? I find employers are more willing to consider part-time employees if they can be flexible and find solutions when they can't be physically present. With my job, I am able to log in to the system from home and work as if I was at my desk. It really helps me with the stress levels when I leave at 5.30 to know that I can still finish things off after DD is in bed (and it makes you look super-dedicated if you send emails at 11pm!)

Also, if you see a job that you like that is advertised as full-time, call and see if they would be prepared to offer it on a part-time basis. Often they say no, but sometimes they do consider it, particularly government departments who are committed to being flexible and family-friendly. So it never hurts to ask!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default don't know if this makes any difference to your decision....

Don't know if this makes any difference to your decision, but you actually go onto newstart payment when your youngest turns 8 years old, if you're a single parent - and not 6 yrs, as you stated.
    For parenting payment partnered, it is 6 years.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Ok I think I am wrong...

If you were on parenting payment AFTER 2006, you have compulsory part-time work committments when your child turns 6 ... this is from the centrelink page....

"If you are granted Parenting Payment (single), you will have compulsory part-time participation requirements from the time your youngest child turns six.

Grandfathered Parenting Payment customers, which includes customers who have been receiving Parenting Payment since before July 2006, will have participation requirements when their youngest child is aged seven or older".

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Returning to work - a bit worried

Quote Originally Posted by rosymum View Post
    Don't know if this makes any difference to your decision, but you actually go onto newstart payment when your youngest turns 8 years old, if you're a single parent - and not 6 yrs, as you stated.
    For parenting payment partnered, it is 6 years.
    You have to meet certain work/study requirements to get parenting payment single don't you? Once they turn 6?

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks, yes you need to work a minimum of 15 hrs a week or study. I was told that they will make you apply for full time work if there are no part time jobs available so that is why I want to secure a part time job with good hours so I am not forced to work fulltime.
    At this stage of my life I am not fussy as to what I do, I have always worked in admin/customer service so can get back to that later, it's more the hours that are my priority. I don't have any one to look after my kids so I can only really work business hours.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Yes Hugs.....

I think you're right.... Anyway, I copied and pasted from centrelink as above...