+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Would you write a list of things NOT to do?

When leaving my kids with people I know will do things different I leave a routine. This is what thine they wake, what time they eat, what I give them etc..

Always worked.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to shhhsleeping For This Useful Post:

tubster  (15-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Thanks ladies for your replies. I have nothing against my SIL and MIL, they are great people and we get along great. We are also very grateful for all that they have done for us.
    DH and I both work from home so we have never left our kids for more than a few hours at a time and just the thought of 2 weeks makes my heart ache. Naturally I am thinking and fearing the worst as I would never forgive myself if anything happens while we are away. I know that I am just too paranoid and have to learn to relax a bit more because sooner or later they will go to kindy and go out with friends and etc. There's really no one else to watch our kids as my parents don't live in aus. But to be honest no matter who it is I will still have the same concerns. So I guess I have to learn to relax.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Is it possible to pay for your MIL to come along on your business trip as a nanny?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetpeamummy For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (16-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

We have thought about that but she doesnt want to come because she has pains in her leg and can't walk much, also china ( where we are going ) is very hot in July and also the public toilets are mostly squats which is very inconvenient for her. Can't take SIL because of her kids, we thought about taking one of her kids whom DS just loves to play with, but she's a bit too young and shes got school

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by maria02 View Post
    Sorry but I think that sounds really condescending!
    I don't think so, I would never say 'don't do this'. It would be much better done verbally. eg. 'just to let you know, I've had problems with DD near roads'. It doesn't have to be patronising.
    God if I was watching someone elses kids, I would much rather know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No, I wouldnt. If I was that concerned about the care they would receive, i wouldnt leave them.

Thanks
    Reviews

No I wouldn't. I have left mum a note of DDs usual routine before when she was little (at my mums request). If there's particular stuff you don't want them to do I'd just tell them. If you feel they wouldn't pay attention to that, and its a safety issue, I wouldn't leave them there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I would my patents and ILs know what I'm like and would most likely expect it and NOT be offended. But tbh they sound like my ILs and I wouldn't trust them with my kids.

Just remember though they are doing you a favour.

2 weeks worth of chocolate won't kill them, when they see the sugar rush and have to deal with it I'm sure they will stop

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would write a list of favourite foods, usual bedtime routine, nappy size to buy and other useful things like that if they don't know already. Honestly if they give the kids sugar they are the ones that have to deal with the consequences - you won't be the ones trying to settle them for bed that night. As someone has said your SIL has 5 kids, so I think they know about not letting kids walk onto the road, etc, etc.

If you don't trust them then don't go. I agree that it would be quite rude to tell your Mum & SIL things like "don't let me 2yo near the road, cause he might walk onto the road & get hit by a car" ... they are not 15yo's who have never been around 2yo's, they would know this stuff.

Yes, it will be flu season, but they could easily catch it from anywhere when you are here too.

You've still got many months to get your confidence up. It sounds like they do a good job of looking after the kids already, so you need to decide if you really trust them or not for a 2 week trip.

Thanks
    Reviews

No, BUT having said that, every single time I leave my DD with my sister, I say, "I know she'll be fine - you know I am paranoid, would you please just watch (1 or 2 important things) ie: the pool and front yard? It would make me feel much more comfortable saying it - even though I know you don't need to be told!"

Makes me feel better and reinforces important things I want her to watch out for :-)

I have been accused of needing to "let go" (both my sisters have 4 kids each and we've had no major accidents with any of them so far - touch wood!) but when all your 'eggs' are in one basket - so to speak, it's hard to feel comfortable. I think I am just one of 'those' parents...! :-)

With the food stuff, to me it really doesn't matter for a couple of weeks (they will have to deal with any adverse behaviour - unless there are allergies of course) and they are unlikely to get more than a sniffle in the time your gone - you could leave the Medicare card # incase they need to take them to the Dr.

I agree with pps with the general routine info, any comforts and favorite foods, bedtime routine etc, it may just help them maintains one normalcy while your away.

Good luck - I'm sure they will be fine.
    Last edited by mrsoptomistic; 16-01-2013 at 08:42.