+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Flu vaccines?

It says on the news tonight that 20 kids died in the States due to a flu virus that was originally from Australia. And they reckon it will be back this year even stronger than last. Vaccinations are available from march. Will you give yourself / kids the shot?
    I have heard some people gets the worse flu ever after taking shots.
    I am very worried. DH and I will be leaving the kids 2.5 years old and 9 months with my SIL in July for 2 weeks and there's heaps of kids in the house all 10 years old and above who will have contact with lots of other kids in school, I am just worried that it's easier for them to catch something and I really don't want my kids to be sick while we are away.
    Would you give them the vaccine?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Flu vaccines?

This scares me for DS, myself (due aug) and newborn in aug.

I am usually against the flu shot. But I really don't know

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can't get the flu from the flu vaccine. People who get the flu after having the vaccine is because it's a different strain, or they were infected before having the vaccine, or the vaccine wasn't 100%effective. But it does not give you the flu.

The vaccine is strongly recommended for high risk groups, eg elderly, asthmatics.

I will be getting the vaccine because I work in aged care. Although I had gotten it the last few years anyway because I had the flu a few years ago and it was so so awful.
    I will consider having my asthmatic DD vaccinated maybe. But my other 2 healthy children I won't. They are at school too but IME there hasn't been flu outbreaks at our school or amongst children that I know personally, it's usually adults!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Flu vaccines?

It's true that some people still get the flu following the vaccine, however it is not possible to "catch" the flu from the vaccine. Like all vaccines, it can't be 100% effective because there are all different strains but it can reduce the severity and duration of your flu.

I've had the vaccine for at least the last 6-7 years and haven't had an asthma attack in all that time, as usually I'd get the flu at least once every winter then the irritation to my airways would cause my asthma to play up. So I'll definitely be getting it myself, not sure how young babies can have it (she'll only be a month old when the vaccines are released in March) but I will get it for her as soon as she's old enough.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Flu vaccines?

I am usually against it too, never took it myself. But I am worried for my kids, they are young and have weaker immune system I reckon easier to catch nasty viruses, I would keep them in doors all winter if I could but not realistic. If we are around we can be more careful eg clean their hands often, make sure they not licking the trolly handles etc, but leaving the kids with someone else is always hard. They have their kids to look after and other things to do and can't watch mine like a hawk 24/7. I am just paranoid and over protective I guess.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Flu vaccines?

I've always had the flu vax and never the flu. I work in health care, so I can't afford not too!
    DD will have it as soon as she's old enough (just not sure what age that is? I'll have to look into that!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tubster View Post
    I am usually against it too, never took it myself. But I am worried for my kids, they are young and have weaker immune system I reckon easier to catch nasty viruses, I would keep them in doors all winter if I could but not realistic. If we are around we can be more careful eg clean their hands often, make sure they not licking the trolly handles etc, but leaving the kids with someone else is always hard. They have their kids to look after and other things to do and can't watch mine like a hawk 24/7. I am just paranoid and over protective I guess.
    Are their kids healthy and surviving? If so, the parents are obviously doing something right. I do think you're being a little paranoid, sorry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I will this year because if I get flu my asthma flares up dangerously. I'm considering it for DD as she gets very sick when she gets flu with asthma and croup symptoms and ends up in hospital every year and I'm desperate to minimise the risk.

I've had it before with no side effects and no flu that year.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Flu vaccines?

Jinx! I just started a thread about same thing

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Flu vaccines?

I will be getting it for all four of us this year.

We all had Influenza A H3N2 last August (I think the one that is in outbreak proportions in NY) and it was awful. I never want my kids to go through that again.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum2EandR For This Useful Post:

tubster  (15-01-2013)