+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Flu shot.. To get it or not to get it this time..

The flu vaccine is free to pregnant ladies or at risk groups in the whole of Australia as part of the National Immunisation Program. If you go to your doctor or your state health clinic where yr kids get their free vaccines they should be able to give it to you.

The seasonal influenza strains in the southern hemisphere are based on what has occurred in the Northern hemisphere prior to our season. This year there has been a strain change so you will get protection from what's happening at the moment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Flu shot.. To get it or not to get it this time..

Adverse reactions or catching a virus is what worries me... I don't want to go get the shot and then end up sick! I know they say that you can't catch the flu from the vaccine but it does lower your immune system temporarily and THAT'S when you can catch something going around...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I will be getting mine already talked to my GP and they get the new vac end of Feb.
    I have never had it before and was anti but when pregnant and seeing how deadly it's already been overseas I'm def getting it - plus I wk at a uni and deal with overseas visitors frequently.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I've never had an adverse reaction to the flu vax and I get it every year since actually getting the flu about 8 years ago. It was hellish, never been so bloody ill. Even 60% efficacy is better than none IMO!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

beebs  (16-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    I've never had an adverse reaction to the flu vax and I get it every year since actually getting the flu about 8 years ago. It was hellish, never been so bloody ill. Even 60% efficacy is better than none IMO!
    http://m.perthnow.com.au/news/wester...-1226035296706

http://m.perthnow.com.au/news/wester...-1226032663603

Awful story. Friends of my cousin. So tragic.
    Last edited by faroutbrusselsprout; 20-01-2013 at 08:01.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by faroutbrusselsprout View Post
    Yes there were known issues re the kids having the flu shot at that time, kids got sick, a few died too I think but they have overcome those problems now after making changes and further trialling. Personally I don't find it necessary for children to have the flu shot anyway unless a child is constantly sick so have a low immune system or cancer for example. I had a nurse and dr also tell me that it wasn't necessary for my children to be immunised against the flu unless there was reason to such as what I mentioned.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I do casual work at a sporting stadium and come in contact with far more people than I care to contemplate in any one shift so I really feel that I just have to get it.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    I do casual work at a sporting stadium and come in contact with far more people than I care to contemplate in any one shift so I really feel that I just have to get it.
    Eeek, thats my nightmare. Id be wearing gloves...or a biohazard suit

Thanks
    Reviews
    Does anyone know what is the earliest age a child can get a flu vaccination (can babies be vaccinated)?

Thanks
    Reviews

Last year I forgot my flu shot and ended up with pneumonia. I'm asthmatic and when I get pneumonia I really get hit hard. Months of antibiotics led to thrush and stomach problems never mind the whole breathing deal. I will definitely be getting vaccinated.