+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Flu shot.. To get it or not to get it this time..

Quote Originally Posted by chances View Post
    I've had small doses of the flu but never stay down for long.
    Never had the flu shot but after watching the news and being pregnant I def will be getting one ASAP!
    Do you go thru ur GP?
    Yes u just get a script and go back. Not sure where and whatever but some times it's free. If your on concession it's that rate etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I don't know... I was treated for Swine Flu back in 09 and don't even remember 5 days of it. That's the only time I've had any sort of flu, never had a flu shot but DF has twice and has gotten really sick both times.
    None of my DD's have had it and I don't think I will get it done for myself or them.
    I'm also pro vaxx.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Chances, can you get it whilst you're pregnant?? I swear I heard you couldnt.

I think there will be a huge increase in flu shots this year compared to last year. I know ALOT of people who had the flu last year for some reason....must have been alot of germy people floating around and sharing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can get it while you're pregnant. In Queensland the vax is free through your gp if you are pregnant, you just pay your usual consult fee.
    I was part of a Queensland flu mums study at the hospital where I had DS last May. Not sure what the outcome was, but they tracked mums and bubs for the first 6 months and their health outcomes where mum had the flu shot while pregnant. It was run out of the Royal Children's Hopsital.
    I've had the flu shot every year since high school ... Nothing like a boarding school to breed the flu! I've not ever had the flu nor a reaction to the vax.

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm definitely getting it this year and I'm 18w.

last June my 3yo dd and I caught the flu & it turned into pneumonia VERY quickly. she recovered quicker than I did, I ended up in the hospital on drips. collapsed lung & all. had never had it before & was pretty healthy, i thought. after 7 courses of antibiotics , took 6 weeks to feel like I could breathe... don't want that again

you can have the flu shot while pregnant

xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I get it normally .. Will def get it this year as I am preg and due in winter ..

Thanks
    Reviews
    I won't be getting the flu shot. I'm not anti-vax, but I don't think the flu vax is particularly effective.

I do try and include a lot of immune boosting foods in our diet which I believe helps. Unfortunately nothing is fool proof though.

No point getting overly alarmed though, IMO some of these media reports are a little on the fear mongering side...

Thanks
    Reviews
    The flu vax is safe in pregnancy and is recommended for pregnant women.

In 8 years there was only 1 year I didn't have the flu vax and I got a bad case of the flu that year, it was aweful. Otherwise all I do end up with is a mild case of a cold when having the flu vax.

It's important to remember the flu vax won't necessarily mean you won't get the flu but usually you won't get a severe case of it. The strain of flu is different every year too.

Thanks
    Reviews

Flu season is in its prime in Europe at the moment, the strains going around over there are the ones which will be put in the vaccine used in the southern hemisphere this winter (I think that's how it works anyway).

They also have a serious norovirus outbreak in the UK at the moment - there were hospitals which were closed to visitors except for parents of paed inpatients and next of kin for icu patients to try and control the spread. They seem to get an outbreak every winter.

Germs are so gross

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by HugsBunny View Post
    I've had the flu vax ONCE and spent 2.5 weeks in bed afterwards. That was no common cold, let me tell you!

Yes it may have been a fluke but I've flat out refused the vax ever since and have never had the flu again. That's enough for me to decide against being injected with last years flu strain (or what they *think* may hit this year) live virus or otherwise.
    Same thing happened to me and dd, will never do it again. It's the sickest dd has ever been