+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Flu shot.. To get it or not to get it this time..

So, im pretty (aka very) anti flu shot, but after catching true influenza twice last year and feeling like I was going to die... Im now wondering if I should "risk" it and get the shot especially with all this talk of a USA strain going around.

If you've had FLU (not the common Cold but actual Flu) before, do you now opt to get the vaccine?

I'm so nervous about the possibility of catching flu ever again.. It was so bad and left me debilitated for 2 weeks I just don't think I could face it again! But then... The vaccine makes me nervous too and efficacy is only 59%!
    Last edited by Happy2be3; 15-01-2013 at 21:36.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Flu shot.. To get it or not to get it this time..

Oops Mods can you move to vaccine area.. Wasn't thinking when I put it in health (even though it is related to health)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I've never ever had the flu and never had a flu-shot. I guess because I've just never had the actual flu, I've never felt the need to get a flu-shot. It only prevents a few strains too... so it won't mean you'll be protected against all types of flu... just a few.

Really up to you, I'm not anti-vax or pro-vax...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (15-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I'm in the same boat as you, ended up off work for 3 weeks all up. Just as I thought I was recovering the first time I got hit with it again.

I'm also wondering if it is safe to have done while pregnant.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Flu shot.. To get it or not to get it this time..

Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    I've never ever had the flu and never had a flu-shot. I guess because I've just never had the actual flu, I've never felt the need to get a flu-shot. It only prevents a few strains too... so it won't mean you'll be protected against all types of flu... just a few.

Really up to you, I'm not anti-vax or pro-vax...
    Im not anti or pro vax either as I selected vax my son.. But I was always anti flu vaccine as it doesn't have all that much data to prove it even works (that I can find) and since until last year I'd never had the Flu (only colds) I never considered it...

I guess I'm at the point where the memory is fresh enough and I'm desperate to try anything that might help prevent it other than healthy diet and good amount of sun each day
    Last edited by Happy2be3; 15-01-2013 at 21:42.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had that flu last year, it was awful. I'm going to get the flu vaccine this year for sure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

We've never had the flu vax, but we will be this year.

We all had it in August, and I never want to see my babies so desperately ill ever again.

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I've had the flu vax ONCE and spent 2.5 weeks in bed afterwards. That was no common cold, let me tell you!

Yes it may have been a fluke but I've flat out refused the vax ever since and have never had the flu again. That's enough for me to decide against being injected with last years flu strain (or what they *think* may hit this year) live virus or otherwise.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Keerah View Post
    I'm also wondering if it is safe to have done while pregnant.
    Yep it's safe for pregnant women to get the flu vac. They recommend it for pregnant women.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have never had the vax and neither has my son who is 8 (not anti vax) but I had the flu for the first time last year and was in hospital with hallucinations and all that fun flu stuff. Never felt soo horrible in my whole life. Thankfully DS didnt catch it. I still dont think I will get the vax this year for me, DS or my newborn....for some reason I feel iffy about it....cant tell you why to be honest.