+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Desperate for lunch & dinner ideas

I have a 22month old and I'm struggling for lunch & dinner ideas. I know a lot of people say they eat what u eat but something's we eat, she won't eat them & then I'm worried she's going to bed hungry. Sandwiches are no good because she just pulls apart & eats the ham & cheese and not the whole bread sandwich. Any ideas would be great- pasta & rice is a favorite but don't want to bore her with the same meals everyday.
    Thanks x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Check out annabel karmel website. Loads of great ideas. I often cook in advance and leave portions frozen. If we're having something he won't eat I defrost for him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by MissusMac View Post
    Check out annabel karmel website. Loads of great ideas. I often cook in advance and leave portions frozen. If we're having something he won't eat I defrost for him.
    I second this - her books are fantastic.

Apart from various pasta dishes that you already no doubt do....I make sausage rolls, meat balls, mini hamburger patties, chicken sticks or nuggets, fish balls, zucchini slice - all with chopped or blended veggies.

ETA - I make large portions & freeze

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

What things won't she eat that you do?
    Toddlers need variety , try lots of different meals and cook things for you as well that you normally would not try - curries, stir frys, Mexican, kebabs, Italian , soups, salads, quiches and grilled fish / meat and veggies is really easy and healthy

Keep offering new food and eat it with her and instead of sandwiches do toasted wraps , the cheese melts and holds it all together, don't give her ham all the time- does she like turkey or tuna or smoked salmon or roast beef ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    If she's happy to eat the meat and cheese, why not offer her bunch of that sort of thing?

Offer some diced cheese, some diced ham, some diced veges etc?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Try and please her with the 'eyes'. Kids love when food is appealing to look at. For example, if you make some Burritos for dinner. Make up a platter with piles of different things such as grated cheese, shredded lettuce, the meat cut into bite sized pieces, diced capsicum. You can put the whole wrap on her plate and then (if she's too young to serve herself) ask her what she wants on her 'special' wrap, or cut the wrap into strips and have her pick what she wants off the platter to put on her plate.

For lunch I quite often follow the example of the Japanese with their Bento lunchbox ideas. I bought little moulds and make rice balls in the shape of hearts, cars, stars. I cut cheese and ham into little shapes with shape cutters etc. I even have little mould which shape a boiled egg into heart and star shapes which my 2 and 3 year olds love! It sounds like a lot of fuss, but honestly it isn't, it takes me hardly anymore time then it would to make a proper sandwich and you can be as creative as you want to be. The Bento lunchboxes/plates are great too as they have little 'sections' and when the food is on there it looks really aesthetically pleasing to their little eyes.
    Last edited by Mod-Uniquey; 15-01-2013 at 21:05. Reason: sp

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

Mod-biscotti  (15-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Uniquey I love Bento!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Mod-Uniquey  (15-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I love it for myself Babyla and thought if I do so much I am sure my toddlers would and sure enough they do and the best bit is you can use anything, so even the fussiest of toddlers is bound to like what they see.

Mod-biscotti is online now Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    My girls are a bit older now but at that age (and now) they loved to dip. So I quite often do platters with strips of capsicum, ham, broccoli, cucumber, cherry toms, pita bread, apple, carrot, etc and little tubs of mashed avocado or sour cream or hummus ( or all of those) for "dipping" - always a winner