+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Pregnancy exercise inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by Jellyfishie View Post
    Thanks for all your ideas. My gym runs Les Mills classes and has a lap pool. I think I was too nervous to do the classes as I can get my heart rate over 150bpm in a good class (or even up to 170 if doing hardcore spon) but read somewhere to keep it under 130 during pregnancy?
    Duh, I guess you just do the class at a lower intensity than normal? Not sure why I am so nervous about it?!
    Apparently that advice is now outdated as it depends on your fitness going into pregnancy too. I think they now use an exertion guide, so as long as you aren't going overboard

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Pregnancy exercise inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by Teenz View Post
    Apparently that advice is now outdated as it depends on your fitness going into pregnancy too. I think they now use an exertion guide, so as long as you aren't going overboard
    This is what I was told.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Running up and down the pool. I use a noodle bent like a 'u' and hold the bottom part, pumping up my arms as I run. Like a bar bell, kinda! I hope that makes sense. I do this at the antenatal class I attend. I mix up the 30 mins with running backwards, sideways and doing some breaststroke.

I actually have 'found' the pool this pregnancy. I have always loved water and am a total water baby but never used the pool for exercise. I love being in the pool and never 'clock watch' which I do when running, gyming or doing les mills etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have joined Preggi Bellies classes and they're fantastic! Do they have them in your area? It's a good workout and makes me sweat. 1 hr, with cardio and weights.

I also bought this Tracey Anderson 'Pregnancy Project' DVD that I have been doing once a week at home.

I got very confused about exercise but my women's health physio explained it to me. She said if you are fit and your ob is happy, exercise is 'safe' in that it won't hurt the baby and is actually good for the baby, and the heartrate recommendations are outdated. HOWEVER there are certain movements that can exacerbate things like diastis recti (where your abs split down the middle - e.g. you shouldn't do any cruches, but you should do transverse abdominal exercises). There are also some exercises that put a lot of pressure on the pelvic floor.

At the hospital, for example, they said that running is fine in that it won't hurt you or the baby, however, it puts lots of pressure on your pelvic floor and can cause prolapse after the birth! This is why running is not recommended.

In the end I feel safest doing special pregnancy exercises rather than my normal Les Mills classes.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrsStewart For This Useful Post:

Kirsten80  (26-01-2013),ozziebaby  (08-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    MrsStewart

I'm loving Preggi Bellies too! In regard to the Tracy Anderson DVD, can you please tell me where you got it and how much you paid for it? I've done a search and it says it is due to be released in March 2013!! Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm planning on doing RPM classes as soon as the all day morning sickness stops