+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Eternal - your bub sounds exactly like mine. I don't want to join my mothers group because dd is like that as every time My mothers group has a meet up Dd is always cranky. I'm hoping it will get better when she gets older. My dd hates the car and the pram at the moment. its so frustrating. i even tried using my carrier and she screams in that. lol & it's all because she hardly gets any sleep through the day. I know if she does a random 2 hour sleep through the day she is happy and can last until her next nap without being cranky.
    What time does your bub go to sleep at night? My dd wakes up from her 4 th nap at 3.30 - 4pm it's a bit all over the place. I try to get her through until 5.30 but end up doing the bed time routine at 5pm because she is cranky and xhausted so she is asleep for the night by 5.30 - 5.45pm. She can't mak it any later than that.
    Last edited by babywishes4me; 17-01-2013 at 19:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Help need with day naps

Don't stress as most bubs outgrow catnapping by 6-8mths when they start moving (and start getting really tired). You guys sound like you have great night sleepers! That's fabulous!!! Usually it's one or the other.

Dd1 - till 6mths - great night crap day sleeper.
    After 6mths - crap night - great day

Dd2 - till 4/5mthd - great day sleeps and avg nights
    7mths now - avg day - better than avg nights.

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm slowly getting better day sleeps out of my dd. she's 4 months on the 27th. A couple of things that have worked for us are - elevating the head of her bassinet
    - up for an hour then down to sleep, even if no tired signs, doesn't always work
    - same routine for sleep at each nap time, play then cuddles and some singing, then into her swaddle with dummy and carry off to bed.
    We are now getting 3 good day sleeps she stirs at about 45mins I leave her until she cries go in pop dummy in and leave. No eye contact no talking. Sometimes she will wake up and talk I let her go and she normally falls back to sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews

My 10wo DS also sleeps poorly during the day. He keeps waking during naps. If he's on me he instantly goes back to sleep. If he wakes up in his cot, however, it's all over. Aargh...
    He won't go to sleep in the new(ish) pram either. I'm wondering if I can get him more accepting of it if I hang extra toys on it and use it in place of a bouncer at home?

Thanks
    Reviews

I've been working with my DD on her day naps this week and I'm starting to feel like she's turning a corner. Hopefully I'm not speaking too soon. She's 4 months old today so I'm sure I've got all that sleep regression to look forward to I guess :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by NikLi View Post
    My 10wo DS also sleeps poorly during the day. He keeps waking during naps. If he's on me he instantly goes back to sleep. If he wakes up in his cot, however, it's all over. Aargh...
    He won't go to sleep in the new(ish) pram either. I'm wondering if I can get him more accepting of it if I hang extra toys on it and use it in place of a bouncer at home?
    Toys will provide stimulation which you don't want at nap time.. Have u tried wrapping him in the pram? You will need some form of swaddle that has the belt buckles though..

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sarelou For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (19-01-2013),NikLi  (19-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there, I have read the same book, Your Sleepless Baby. It is the same method as the Sleep Right, Sleep Tight method used at Tweddle and now promoted through the Child Health service here in Tasmania. The woman who taught me this technique in a sleep group a few days ago says that in fifteen years teaching it, she has known 3 babies who did not improve and they all had underlying medical issues. So it sounds pretty good.
    In comparing the two books, I would choose Sleep Right, Sleep Tight over Your Sleepless Baby, but basically they are very, very similar. It's all about sleep re-training. If your baby is used to going to sleep with swaddling, cuddling, walking, singing, then they wake up in a light sleep cycle and complain because those things aren't there anymore.
    I am in day three of the Sleep Right method and I am seeing some improvements. There is a fair bit of crying involved but as my baby is 4 months, I am right next to him almost the whole time. So I do recommend the book you've suggested, nearly as much as I recommend Sleep Right, Sleep Tight.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tubeway For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (19-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Sarelou View Post
    Toys will provide stimulation which you don't want at nap time.. Have u tried wrapping him in the pram? You will need some form of swaddle that has the belt buckles though..
    He sleeps in Love To Swaddle Ups so I'll give that a try, thanks. I'm not game to go to the gym until he can relax in his pram in the crèche, so I really need to get this sorted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    I can sympathise. I have only ever gotten 2 or 3 40 min naps out of my DS. My problem is he only sleeps in the cot so if we are out and about.... No sleep!

Will she sleep anywhere else in the house?
    Gosh. I want to train bub to sleep in cot for naps and bedtime but at the back of my mind I wonder if this will make him not sleep elsewhere. It will make things difficult when we are out indeed.

How do you make him sleep in the cot? Carry sleep transfer? Or pat in cot? Or he falls asleep himself?

Most pp have problem with bub staying sleeping in cot. You have the other end of the problem. Do you then wear him when you are out?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Babywishes, my DS gets cranky too. I have to wrap him up at home otherwise he won't sleep, I've even tried wrapping him in the pram but it's made no difference. I usually get an hour of him in the pram & then he is red faced hysterical crying too. Makes it hard to get him in the car, go to the shops & home again in that 1 hour. I think with us poor mums that have cat nappers, our bubs struggle to stay up as long as a bub that's had a great 1.5 or 2 hour sleep.

I want to say that I believe it's just normal for them at this age to cat nap. My DS1 who's 7 was like that as well. It,s all due to the nature of their sleep cycle at this stage. The easy way out is to use something with motion like a swing to help them transit from one cycle to the next but that's addictive IMO and will only have future issues.

My bub gets cranky in the carseat too if he wants to sleep. Even the motion doesn't really help. I also have to time going out after he has had a good nap at home cos I don't want a cranky bub in the car. At the shopping centre we would swaddle him and he is happy to go to sleep in the pram if its in motion and he's ready to sleep. But he will wake after one cycle if pram is stationary.