+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default For parents of non-sleepy one-year-olds...a question.

How many hours does your one year old go in-between sleeps?

That is, how many hours is your one year old happy to be awake?

Mine has one sleep during the day... but the time she is ready for sleep seems to be stretching! She is barely tired after 6 hours of being awake. 7 seems more it. If I put her to bed before she is tired enough all hell breaks loose and she still won't go to sleep until about the 7 hour mark.

Just trying to work out how normal all this is. Her daytime sleep isn't a very long one either I might add. An hour at most but it is often broken.

My first dd didn't sleep a great deal either but I think she was slightly 'better' than this.

Thanks
    Reviews

My DS is 14 months while he sleeps less than most we know he still gets quite a bit. He currently sleeps about 10.5 hrs through the night and has 2 day sleeps which are both between 1-2 hrs long. Usually gets about 3-4hrs across the day.

My DS though is definitely tired after being up 3hrs. I can stretch him to 4 but that often results in him getting very grizzly and taking a long time to go off to sleep and then having a short sleep and waking up cranky.

I would say if your DD is 'happy' being up 7 hrs then she is getting the right amount of sleep for her...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to giggle berry For This Useful Post:

onedayatatime  (15-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My 11.5 month old DS only has one nap a day too. He went to 1 sleep a day at 6 months, it used to be up to 3 hour sleep but now it is around an hour.

He can go all day without one, and this actually makes it easier to get him to sleep at night.

Yesterday, he didn't sleep til 4pm, and then didn't want to go to bed til after 10.

He still wakes frequently overnight.

My DD dropped all day sleeps between 9 and 12 months, but then began having one again at 12 months, so i am hoping DS might start to require more sleep too (cos i sure do!)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

DS2 was up from 5.30am until 12.30pm today.

This not unusual at all.

One day sleep of around 1.5 - 2 hours and goes down around 7.30 - 8pm.

He is 14 months and more than happy with this arrangement.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 2Bboys For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles10 View Post
    My 11.5 month old DS only has one nap a day too. He went to 1 sleep a day at 6 months, it used to be up to 3 hour sleep but now it is around an hour.

He can go all day without one, and this actually makes it easier to get him to sleep at night.

Yesterday, he didn't sleep til 4pm, and then didn't want to go to bed til after 10.

He still wakes frequently overnight.

My DD dropped all day sleeps between 9 and 12 months, but then began having one again at 12 months, so i am hoping DS might start to require more sleep too (cos i sure do!)

Yes this sounds like our situation a lot. Bub goes for so long without a sleep then finally has a nap in the arv and then is awake half the blimmin' night. I don't think she could go the whole day without a sleep... but it would be great if she'd go to bed at night at a reasonable time.

In 2 weeks dd1 starts kindy. At this rate, bub is going down for a nap at the time I'd be picking up DD1! I'm going to try waking bub earlier tomorrow morning and see if I can get her to fall asleep earlier in the day and therefore also at night etc etc.

I think she is getting enough sleep for her own needs...I just need to change the times of day it's all happening or it's going to be an issue.