+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Dropping the bedtime bottle

DD is 17mo and only has 1 bottle per day, at bedtime. I am aware that we should have ditched the bottle by now but I've always been worried about her getting the nutrition (various reasons I won't detail as I've banged on about that enough on here!).

I have tried a few times to offer her formula in a sippy cup but she always refuses it. Two nights ago a made up the formula and put it in a brand new sippy that DD picked at the shops and had been playing with all afternoon. She took it and had a few sips, looked at me like I was crazy and handed it back to me. Then she proceeded to explode in a fit of tears and screaming until she got her bottle.

She just point blank refuses to have milk in anything other than a bottle!

Any tips? Do I even need to persist with the formula? I'm paranoid she won't be getting enough in her belly without it. She eats a very healthy diet, I'm very particular about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

My just turned 3 year old still has a bottle... He doesnt go to sleep with it a brushes his teeth after. So im not a good person for advice. We keep talking to him about it and he'll give it up when ready i figure. Our dentist has no problems with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption

I got dd a "special milk cup" that was pink and sparkly. I gave it to her to drink when I read her a story and that worked for her. I do keep I non drip water bottle by her bed as it is really hot where we live

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    The reason i suggested a cup is because DD hated sippy cups, never wanted to drink from them but was very happy with her "Special Cup" I only filled it half full and made sure it was fairly skinny so she could grip it better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

To clarify, DD doesn't have the bottle in bed with her, she has it as part of the bedtime routine and sometimes has a sippy with water in her cot if it's a hot night.

I might persist with offering it in the sippy, she's not good with cups yet. I might just have to bite the bullet and be prepared for her to go to bed without having her milk if she won't take it from the sippy. Scary!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Re: Dropping the bedtime bottle

Have you tried a soft or hard spout sippy cup? We used a soft one to transition DS and we had no problems I guess because it kind of felt like a teat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We just kept offering it in a cup/sippy cup etc...and then what finally worked was one of the take and toss cups with s lid and straw. So, now at 25 months she has a cup and a straw and she is happy.

Don't stress yourself over it, she won't still be having it when she is 15 As long as she is brushing her teeth after it...let her have her comfort just before bed if she likes it. I remember thinking that DD would never give it up...but, gradually she did and now all is well.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Lily View Post
    Have you tried a soft or hard spout sippy cup? We used a soft one to transition DS and we had no problems I guess because it kind of felt like a teat.
    All her sippy cups have sort of soft spouts, they're the Nuby ones. I had the same theory, it's kind of like a teat so maybe she'd go for it. Nope! There's so issue if it's water, she just won't drink milk from it.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by River Song View Post
    We just kept offering it in a cup/sippy cup etc...and then what finally worked was one of the take and toss cups with s lid and straw. So, now at 25 months she has a cup and a straw and she is happy.

Don't stress yourself over it, she won't still be having it when she is 15 As long as she is brushing her teeth after it...let her have her comfort just before bed if she likes it. I remember thinking that DD would never give it up...but, gradually she did and now all is well.
    True, I'm sure we'll get there!

Brushing her teeth - that's a whole other thread lol! She fights that like nobody's business!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldnt' worry my DS (2 1/2) still has a bottle of milk but instead of having it at night he has it when he wakes up. Doesn't worry me, as he is on the small side so I'd rather he has it then not at all.

He drinks his water in a cup (he won't have a lid on it) when ever he asks for it and also sometimes he will have milk in a cup but never his morning milk he wants that in a bottle!