+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default I feel like I'm drowning :-(

This is a total whinge so please feel free to ignore but I am just a mess today.

Trying to sort out my finances for this year and I just don't know how I'm going to do it. After I pay my rent, I have $480 a fortnight to pay my bills and feed myself and my 2 kids. My XH has stopped paying the mortgage on the house that we own that is meant to be sold as per court order but the sale hasn't happened.

I have a $22k+legal bill with my solicitor for a court case that my XH started and then up and dropped when it became apparent that he couldn't win.

I just had a phone call from the bank in regard to the home loan and apparently it's about to be transferred from the hardship team to the legal department!!!

I just can not see any way out at the moment. I need to get a job but how do I attend interviews with no one to look after the kids while I go? I can't afford day care without a job but I can't get a job without day care.

My car is due for rego renewal at the beginning of next month which would be fine but it's due the day before my centrelink payment hits the account and without an advance from centrelink and child support it still won't be enough to cover it the costs and goodness knows when the child support will hit the account or how much it'll be anyway.

GAH!!!!! I think I need a drink.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: I feel like I'm drowning :-(

I dont have any advice ( hopefully someone on here will) but just wanted to send some hugs. You must be so stressed u poor thing.

Hope things improve soon. Money worries suck

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger
    Sometimes it really does just all feel too much.

Have you spoken to salvation army financial counselling? It's a free service and they may be able to help you a little.

As for the bank advising you're being moved from hardship to legal... I know it seems overwhelming and helpless, but have you spoken to them again? Is there any chance of refinancing to include equity/get you an interest free period?

is the solicitor in need of payment now? perhaps a workable payment plan would keep that one at bay until the house is sold?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Izy For This Useful Post:

SimplyMum  (15-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Wow that sounds incredibly stressful. No wonder you are worried.

A few suggestions that may help..

- The loan going to hardship team may be a blessing in disguise. Hopefully they can help out and stop payments on it for a while so you don't start going backwards.

- I know it's not a nice feeling to ask but if you want to free some money up could you get a few food hampers from the Salvos and free up your food money for your rego? In W.A. you can pay the rego late I just think it attracts a couple of dollars in late fees. So if it's one day late it may be okay. I would check with the motoring authority in your state. The Salvos helps out everyone and this wouldn't be considered abusing the system. You are using it as you are in need.

- I would also advertise on your local FB Buy Sell page if anyone wants to get rid of cheap fruit and veges out of their yard/orchard. We have people on ours advertising super cheap fruit/vege just to get rid of it.

- Could your ring Red Cross and ask if you qualify for their volunteer program that comes and helps with young children? All volunteers are screened and have to have the appropriate checks before they start. Maybe you could use this for the interviews?

- With daycare, I would ring around first and get prices and availability. This would determine what kind of work you can get and your availability.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aquillah For This Useful Post:

Izy  (15-01-2013),lilypily  (15-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm sorry to intrude on the Single Parents section, but I just wanted to say I'm so sorry you're going through this. Massive hugs. Have you tried the free financial counselling service - 1800 007 007? They can help negotiate with financial organisations and may be able to help with the bank.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (15-01-2013),Izy  (15-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'd start with Salvation Army, along with the financial advisor, perhaps they can offer you some vouchers. Than get on the phone to the rest. Sometimes everything just goes to sh$t! I hope it works out.

Btw- can you tell us what state you live in, I'd be more than happy to babysit for potential job interviews.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys.

The solicitor was happy to wait for the house to sell but she's now left the firm - so the bill is with the firm still but they no longer have a family law solicitor to take on my case.

Can't refinance the homeloan - XH is living in the house and was going to buy out my share but the bank laughed at him. Then he quit his highpaying job and took a job that paid less than half what he was earning. Yeah, he's a peach.

I really didn't want to go to the charities but I don't think I'll have any choice. I didn't know about the Red Cross babysitters so I'll look in to that, thank you.

Here in NSW if you don't pay your rego on time and still drive the car then you're toast if you get caught. I would either have to drive the car or not send my oldest to school that day

I only spend about $120 a fortnight on food generally so even freeing that up wouldn't be enough to cover rego - well it's the greenslip actually as I get free registration as I'm on a pension card.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SimplyMum View Post
    I'd start with Salvation Army, along with the financial advisor, perhaps they can offer you some vouchers. Than get on the phone to the rest. Sometimes everything just goes to sh$t! I hope it works out.

Btw- can you tell us what state you live in, I'd be more than happy to babysit for potential job interviews.
    Thanks SimplyMum - I'm in country NSW

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger
    Perhaps talk to your local community/neighbourhood centre if they're aware of any local groups that may be able to help on the jobhunt/babysitting front?

They may also be able to assist with some food etc. With those organisations it's actually in their best interests to give out the charity when they can, as if it's not 'spent' they tend not to get the funding again. So please please don't be upset to ask. You need it at the moment, and you may well be helping someone else to be able to access it in future.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Izy, I'll give it a go.