+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Could it be silent reflux?

So my lo is 4 weeks old tomorrow. For the last 2 weeks she has been steadily getting more unhappy and unsettled.

I think it might be silent reflux, here is a list of what she does.
    Grunts and tenses all the time, but way worse after a feed (I know this might just be normal newbie behaviour)
    Her nose sounds congested all the time but she doesn't have a temp or anything
    Her burps sound really mucousy, so does her general sort of chest.
    She will often have a little spit up, but often also seems to swallow what comes up.
    Can be really fussy when feeding, worse at night when she has been laying down.
    She's getting to the point now where she just cries if I lay her down in her cot, she will wake up instantly, before this she was fine in her cot all night. She will sleep ok upright on my chest or laying down on her tummy (supervised of course)
    Hiccups after almost every feed.

We give her infants friend before each feed which seems to help a little bit.
    Its getting to the point where last night I only got about 40 min sleep.

Tia

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Could it be silent reflux?

Bump anyone?

Thanks
    Reviews

My dd has all of those symptoms. At our 6 week check Dr said she has a floppy larynx which is causing the stuffy nose (breathing) and mucous. She also has reflux and colic. I have been giving her brauer (?) colic relief for the colic and using fess little noses saline spray (both you can get from the chemist) for her stuffy nose. Both have really helped. As for the floppy larynx Dr said it will fix itself but can take up to 12 months.

Might be worth taking your LO to the drs just for a check up. HTH

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Happymum2 For This Useful Post:

Grebbeci  (15-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

And I forgot to add I have elevated the bassinet mattress a little as well.

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi, I know this is a couple of weeks old, but how are you going? All 3 of my kids had / have reflux with my young being the worst. All that you described sounds like my little one. Have been to see your GP or pead? Or have things settled down? Fingers crossed for you.

Thanks
    Reviews

DD had it up until 7/8 months when she grew out of it. Sounds like classic reflux symptoms!

Definitely get to the GP to see if you can get some meds and in the mean time, try elevating the head if the basinette/cot and maybe start cutting out dairy as a cows milk protein intolerance could be causing it..

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Could it be silent reflux?

She's still not great, most of the symptoms are still there. She does seen to actually be able to throw it up a little more now, when she does a chuck she's heaps better.
    Kind of in the routine now of keeping her upright for about half an hour after a feed, just let her go to sleep on my chest, then when I lay her down she usually grunts and squeaks and tenses but doesn't wake herself up.

Have a gp appointment next week and will bring it up then. In the meantime we have continued the infants friend and I have tried to cut out most dairy (I need my 1 coffee a day).

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews

Hang in there. Hopefully your gp will prescribe some meds and help things settle down. Reflux is nasty. We still dealing with it 2 1/2 years on. Good luck with the dr appointment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Grebbeci, how is bub and did your GP diagnose it as silent reflux? My little boy has the exact things you've listed only on top of that he has started fussing through a feed and will scream halfway through it. I've been to two gps and they both think it's just colic... And the last GP hadnt even heard of silent reflux!! I managed to squeeze out a prescription of losec from him but he was utterly convinced I shld just change formula. I wanted to murder him I reckon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rainaberdine View Post
    Grebbeci, how is bub and did your GP diagnose it as silent reflux? My little boy has the exact things you've listed only on top of that he has started fussing through a feed and will scream halfway through it. I've been to two gps and they both think it's just colic... And the last GP hadnt even heard of silent reflux!! I managed to squeeze out a prescription of losec from him but he was utterly convinced I shld just change formula. I wanted to murder him I reckon.
    she is doing much better. My gp put her on zantac twice daily (I'm lucky in that's have an excellent gp) took about 10 days to notice change and probably 3 weeks to be really good. She chucks a lot now but isn't in pain any more. We can even put her down to sleep

She did used to do the screaming in feeds and stuff to but I figured I had listed enough symptoms already lol.
    Have you started the losec yet?