+ Reply to Thread
    Oblena is offline I've done it in public and I'll do it again - I don't care who sees!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Can you have a C sec in a public hospital for #2

Hi everyone,

I had a C sec (breech presentation) for #1 in a private hospital, and am planning #2 and would like a C sec again but don't really want to have a private OB gyn. We have provate health ins so I would be covered but the out of pocket expense is ridiculous, so I would much prefer to go public ( use provate room in public or be a private patient) but not really have to do all the expensive appoints with the private DR.

Will it be difficult to have a C sec for the #2 or will they make me try VBAC?

I really don't want a VB due to issue with continence from when I was younger. My private OBgyn said I should have been able to do a VB and only changed when DD went breech. I now realise that the surgery I had when I was young to correct the continence issues is really precious to me and that I don't want any possible risk to that with a VB.

Does anyone have any advice?

Oblena is offline I've done it in public and I'll do it again - I don't care who sees!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    bump

Thanks
    Reviews

You can definitely have a c section after a previous. The ob's will probably prefer it to a vbac.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to hollychops For This Useful Post:

Oblena  (14-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

I was told by the hospital and my GP after my c-section (due to DS being breech) that I could then choose VBAC or a 2nd section... And that was the public system. They said while there is no reason for me not to VBAC the choice is mine.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JessaKye For This Useful Post:

Oblena  (14-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yeps they definitely offer the choice. No one blinks an eye. Will probably have a discussion of risks of vbac vs repeat caesarean to which you nod and smile politely and tell them your choice. Forms get ticked and signed and your booked in for your Caesar

8. The Following User Says Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

Oblena  (15-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It was a while ago,(4yrs) that I had my 2nd caesar in a public hospital (1st was public too, in a different state). The midwife tried to talk me into a vbac, I just asked to see the OB and he agreed straight away.
    They did have a rule no electives before 39 weeks for normal pregnancies, not sure if that's standard.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to tootiredtosleep For This Useful Post:

Oblena  (15-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tootiredtosleep View Post
    They did have a rule no electives before 39 weeks for normal pregnancies, not sure if that's standard.
    The hospitals I've worked in, its always been at least 38 weeks but preferably somewhere between 39 and 40 weeks that we book the caesar. Don't want to deliver a baby at 37 weeks and discover that dates were out by a week or 2 and we've actually got a 36 or 35 week baby and have the higher risk of needing to admitted to special care or having breastfeeding problems because the baby's sucking reflex is still immature.

The 38/39 week rule is fairly standard for that reason.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much everyone. I feel a lot better about it. I just accepted the DR saying I could VB, but the more I think about the actual surgery I had when I was young the less I wanted to risk it.

I also didn't want to spend $$$ on fees when the public hospitals are fine. I didn't realise the out of pockets expences last time and now I know better