+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    250-300 dollars a week. including everything for 2 adults and 2 kids.

Madame Mayhem is offline Who you are is who you should be, don't change for anyone
    Thanks
    Reviews
    we spend around $150 give or take, this is for 2 adults and 2 kids (18 months and nearly 3) this includes nappies and smoko for DH at work, and For luch Dh has leftovers from the night before. we also have take away once a week we (approx $20) we shop at a combination of coles, woolies, foodland and butchers
    last week our dinners where lasagne and salad, shnitzel and veg, stuffed chicken breast and veg, tacos, honey chicken and fried rice, roast lamb and veg.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We spend $300 a week for 2 adults and a dog. $350 to $400 a week when the kids are with us.

That is just supermarket stuff. Doesn't include if we have take away (once a fortnight), eat out for dinner or buy lunches at work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default What do you spend on your food shopping each week?

170-200 a week, some weeks its over 200, I try and do a big shop on pay week, double batch in my slow cooker and if money is short the following week, I have my back up frozen meals. Usually when mince is on special or I made meat free soups or just add bacon to make it cheaper.

My boys eat so much!!! One is almost a tween and eats like a horse already!
    Thats for 2 adults (DH eats a lot as hes try to bulk with weight training) and 2 kids.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

We keep ours low by buying fruit and veg from the farmers markets, we have chickens for eggs, don't buy cleaning products (just vinegar & bicarb), buy most staples from Aldi (the rest from Woolies), make most snacks from scratch and we are meat free.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have started meal planning again, and only buying what we need for those meals, plus maybe one extra incase. It cost me $130, and that including dishwasher powder $13, new jar of vegemite $5 and a few other extra items i can use next week but they were on special, that I don't need to buy again next week
    My meals: Spaghetti bolognese, crumbed chicken and vegies, sausages and vegies, roast and vegies, chicken in sauce dish with rice, and fish with vegies.

My kids are kind of fussy with the vegies they eat, so vegies is carrots, broccoli, potato, corn (for my younger 2).

This is for 2 adults, and 3 kids (3,5,7).

I found it easier to make a huge list of all the meals that we eat, then you can get family members to choose one each, then make up with the others. I shop at Coles mostly, but also the Fruit & Veg shop for the items I know are cheaper/just as fresh. Processed food is expensive and often contains more preservatives etc, so I am trying to avoid them. And my kids do eat a lot.
    Last edited by 79me; 16-01-2013 at 18:01.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ours is maybe $150 per week (for 5 of us) or more if we go a bit nuts on fruit which we have been doing lately with all the yummy summer fruits and the school holidays.

I shop at Aldi for a lot of things although there are some things I prefer to buy elsewhere. (especially fruit and veg) I either go to Woolworths or Coles for the things I don't get at Aldi. Doesn't seem to be much of a difference price wise between the Coles and Woolworths I go to. I usually go for whatever Deli Meat is on special. Sometimes I will buy the deli meats at Aldi too but it depends on how much other shopping I need to do at the time as I'm a bit funny about meat and needing to get it home asap especially in summer.

If I want a BBQ chicken for lunches or a meal then I buy it at our local IGA for $10 or less if they are trying to sell them off in the afternoon. If I'm near that IGA of an afternoon I usually go have a look and see how much they have them for. I picked them up for $5 each once and bought two and froze them into amounts for sandwiches or single serve salads. Heaps cheaper than paying $15.50 each at the chicken shop.

I get our meat from our local butcher (except chicken) and if I want mince or sausages I get 2kgs worth as its cheaper. And if I buy other meat in bulk and buy at least $60 worth then I get free freerange eggs.

I buy chicken from a specialty chicken shop if they are the cheapest at the time. (Sometimes the butcher near them has better specials). If there are no specials going then I will buy chicken casserole pieces for $2.49 per kg. They are a mix between wings, drumsticks and other bits. Last time I ended up with mostly drumsticks which were actually more than that if thats what I had asked for. The other bits need a bit more cleaning and then I usually boil them up and take the meat off and use them in casseroles or a curry. I just bought some chicken from the other butcher today as they had wings and drumsticks on special for $2.49 per kilo. But sometimes I have seen them even cheaper and I will buy a larger amount and freeze if I do.

I also sometimes buy fruit in the local shopping centre if I'm there. I have a free membership card thingy that I can scan (and win a prize but I have only ever won twice) and then print off a discount voucher for 10% off at one of the fruit shops there.

I make a huge batch of biscuits from scratch which make heaps and don't cost much. I usually cook some and freeze the rest ready to bake.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dannielle For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (21-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    weird double post

I posted then it wasn't there and then it was - strange

Thanks
    Reviews

I was thinking about this post yesterday when I did the weekly shop. We spent $135 for the week, including fruit and veg & meat. I was very happy with this. For this we got breakfasts, 7 dinners all with some meat and enough for leftovers for lunch for my DH. Lunch for me and DD is worked out on a daily basis with whatever we have. I thought about why our grocery spend us very reasonable - we go to a fruit and veg shop and buy fruit and veg in season (I will adjust the meal plan accordingly), we drink water, cordial and tea & coffee mainly with soft drink as a treat only and we are not brand loyal - we choose whatever is on special generally (except for tea and coffee really). We also don't eat a lot of junk food - I cook from scratch a lot and plan in advance so I have everything available which reduces the temptation of getting takeaway.
    I like the challenge of this and really enjoy cooking so this is not a chore for me.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CookingMonster For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (20-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also meal plan and try and incorporate leftover dinners for dh's work lunch too