+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What do you spend on your food shopping each week?

About $100-150 for me, DP, 3yo DD and 4mth old DS. We shop mainly at woollies and use Costco every couple of months for bulk nappies and TP and the like.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

We aim for $100 but can usually only achieve that if we only need a little bit of meat (I.e. have plenty left from the week before). Most weeks is $130-160 for hubby and I from Woolies. I've budgeted $160 per week while I'm on parental leave as I plan to meal plan, spend some time trying budget recipes, buy meat in bulk, we're going to use cloth nappies so no expense on nappies, the only extra expense I can think of will be formula if breastfeeding doesn't work but it should all balance out if I can save some money in the areas mentioned above :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: What do you spend on your food shopping each week?

We spend between $200 - $250 per week for dp, myself, dd (10), ds (6). That includes everything. Meat, fruit, veg, cleaning products, personal items, snacky school stuff etc.

I'm expecting that to go up a bit when bub is born and I'm buying disposable nappies.

We shop at woollies but dp works there so we use his discount card. Usually saves us around $20 per week.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by hollychops View Post
    Used it. Ok for some things like cheap nappies. A lot of the stuff has a short expiry.

Good to know! I fig'd it might be good every couple of months to stock up on a few bargains rather than to rely on as a main source lol- always looking for a bargain! Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ive reduced our to $200 per week atm

I cant for the life of me work out how people can spend $100 a week (looking at you Waterlily)

We already have 2 or 3 meals a week of toasties, baked spuds or eggs on toast.

Its a joke!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (14-01-2013),Purple Lily  (14-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I spend about $200 sometimes more. It's best to shop around and yes woolworths for everything I think is expensive. Try not to buy online, buy on special, use Aldis (I don't use them for everything but I like a few of their products) I shop at Coles aswell, I buy from the butcher, I grow some veg (carrots, spring onions, pupkin which is going pretty wild atm, capsicums, tomatoes, cucumbers and some herbs) but I still buy aswell like potatoes, brocolli etc.
    I've tried alot to spend less, but I just can't seem to manage it, even though I cook from scratch mostly, we seem to eat alot!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlemissellie View Post
    Ive reduced our to $200 per week atm

I cant for the life of me work out how people can spend $100 a week (looking at you Waterlily)

We already have 2 or 3 meals a week of toasties, baked spuds or eggs on toast.

Its a joke!
    Me too! We go through 3lt of milk a day and a loaf of bread, that's already $8 a day on something basic, like $50+ aweek. ?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Someones Mummy For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (14-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ToonZie View Post
    Had anyone tried that "groceryrun" app/website?

I just used it yesterday because they had blueberry poptarts I've been craving lol.

I had a scroll through at other things and it looked pretty good. Delivery is capped at $11. Curious what other people think
    I was going to use it when there was some random thing that I wanted. Except I kept clicking things I clearly didn't need so as to justify the delivery charge! Stayed away and didn't end up ordering.

As for our weekly food spend - it's generally about $160-$180 for 2 adults.
    Everytime I do a "big" shop and manage to spend $120 or less - I end up topping up and spending $30-$40 on another day. On occasion I've spent over $200 including cleaning stuff like dishwasher tablets and soap powder.
    This amount does not include alcohol or dog food.

I shop at Coles and would say the majority of the cost goes to meat because I buy the lean meats and organic/free range chicken when I can. We don't have unhealthy snacks or chips/chocolate/icecream/lollies.

It's in my interest to not spend as much though because DP gives me $100 for food every week. So if I manage to spend only $120 - it's only $20 out of my pocket. The more I spend - the less I have!!

I sometimes shop at our local farmers market on the weekend and get my veg, meat, cheese and bread but the spend doesn't change because the meat and cheeses cost more than at Coles.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to nirok For This Useful Post:

ToonZie  (14-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

$110-$170 is average (eg not buying for a party or Christmas etc). 2 adults + 2 kids. one (low) income & carer allowance.
    we're lucky enough to have my mum cook a dinner for us now & then which helps heaps. I find buying non processed food is cheaper. buy in season.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I spend about $200 a week for 2 adults, a 4 year old, 2 year old and 4 week old. This doesn't include nappies. I wish I could spend $150, but just can't seem to be able to??!
    I think woolworths is more expensive. We buy bread several times a week and if there are no good specials we buy the woolworths brand. At one point it was $2.00 when woollies and Coles were having their price wars, it then went back up to $2.50 and then on Saturday it was $2.60!!! I refused to buy it out of principal