+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    I think sending kids to places like their rooms could be counterproductive because there are usually things to do there. Perhaps sending them outside is done because there is nothing to do but think about what has happened?

I could think of far worse things to do to kids....
    I agree. I live inner city in a terrace which is 3 storeys. If I send DD to timeout in her room its a flight of stairs and rooms of toys between us. If I put her outside there is a glass sliding door where I can keep an eye on her, whilst getting my point across. What works for some doesn't always work for others I guess.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do we have the same neighbours? Mine do that too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Do you think this is acceptable?

Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    To the people who think it's not nice, how is it any different to sending a child to time out in a room?
    Good question. I don't think it's that different at all. Infact I think sending a kid to their bedroom to scream could be worse as it creates a negative environment in the same place parents want them to feel relaxed enough to sleep in at 7pm...

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    To the people who think it's not nice, how is it any different to sending a child to time out in a room?
    I suppose I just think of my outside area which is concrete with no shade. We live on one of the busiest main streets in Sydney in a terrace with a noisy take away shop on one side (the owner is always yelling and swearing) and there's always people yelling and walking past out gate which opens onto an alley.

I understand that's far from the case everywhere so I suppose this would be fine in more comfortable surroundings. I guess "I'm sending you outside to cry in distress" makes me think of something that'd happen to an animal, not a child. But every house/child is different so in many situations this wouldn't be distressing I assume.

Thanks
    Reviews

I'll put my hand up and admit to having done that before. I lost my cool and it was he went outside to have his massive melt down, or mummy lost it. It is not a regular thing though was only once. Man did i suffer thr mummy guilts... I had tried absolutely everything, inluding cuddling, sitting with, leaving him alone distracting. I was also very sleep deprived. Hate to think what my neighbours were thinking of me. It was a very bad mummy moment, going through a very tough time with my son. Its not a form of discipline i would regularly use (never again) though. It was me losing my temper.

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

It could be that these parents don't have a spare room for timeout. Maybe the kids rooms are full of toys so sending them there for timeout is hardly a punishment?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HugsBunny For This Useful Post:

*Need~More~Coffee~Please*  (15-01-2013),Jarylee  (15-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's not something i would do personally. Plus my kids would rather have a timeout outside anyway as they love it out there so much

However, I don't like smacking and plenty of people use that effectively. It's like anything really, different strokes for different folks! ..... As long as its not abuse of course.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Do you think this is acceptable?

How do you know the kid was 'locked' out and the wasn't just closed? There is a huge difference there.

I used to get sent to my room but I knew that if I dared to open the door I would be in bigger trouble. (Didnt stop me shaking the door though and hanging from the door handle).

Unless you know with 100% certainty that the kid was 'locked' out, people should be a little less judgemental when you aren't fully aware of someone's situation.

Its not something that I would do, as I am very conscious of disturbing neighbours. But who knows what will happen when my child is being a turd and I need 5 mins break so I can calm down and not lose it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jellybub For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (15-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Look it's not something I think I would do. That being said, we live in an inner city terrace and DD has been known to take herself outside and have a stomp and a huff and do some yelling when she is exasperated. Our outdoor area is upstairs so I don't doubt the noise carries.

I leave her to it and she comes back inside when she is ready. When she is like that there would be much more noise if I interfered.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaNurture View Post
    Do we have the same neighbours? Mine do that too

It has happened about 2-3 times so far but we aren't home during the day and have been out alot on weekends since we moved in 2.5 months ago.

I'm not positive the child is locked out, however given that I'm fairly sure its the younger child I would doubt the child could open the door (i.e handle too high and it's a big glass sliding door so heavy). The child continues to scream/cry once back inside as well, poor little guy.

They also have big dogs that bark every single time we open the door to our back yard (our dog is very good though and hardly every answers back). I think.

I wasn't sure whether to be judgmental or not - I don't have kids as yet so was more wondering if parents who actually have with children would find it "odd" or not.