+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Do you think this is acceptable?

I don't think the location maters in the slightest, tho I'm would never "lock" my child anywhere.
    The big no-no to me is the fact you said the child was distressed. My eldest is 5 & I have never left her to cry when distressed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    To the people who think it's not nice, how is it any different to sending a child to time out in a room?
    When I say it's not something I would do my 2 are a little younger. I haven't had to send them to their room to punish them. I can see what your referring to in terms that outside is another room, but I can see what op is stating that they live in close proximity to one another and it can be disruptive to others. Also if its once in a while or if its a daily occurrence matters also. And if the child is genuinely terrified of having to stay outside or whether its just a tantrum.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption

Default Do you think this is acceptable?

Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    To the people who think it's not nice, how is it any different to sending a child to time out in a room?
    I believe in timeouts but at least if they are inside they are not upsetting or disturbing neighbours. That's why I wouldn't do it but that's my opinion

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Duplicate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I think this is how my neighbours deal with their kids too.

In all honesty, I can understand the appeal of locking them outside, but not small children and not at 4am (as our neighbours liked to do). Lock them in their bedroom if you really must lock them somewhere! Just as I assume these parents are sick of hearing their kids, nobody else wants to hear them either!

I also don't imagine outdoor areas are always safe for small children to be left unattended.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Agree with headoverfeet, I don't see how it's different to putting them in their room. Some kids have wild tantrums,
    Maybe it's safer/less destructive to send them outside than having them destroying their room, pulling bookshelves down etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Agree with headoverfeet, I don't see how it's different to putting them in their room. Some kids have wild tantrums,
    Maybe it's safer/less destructive to send them outside than having them destroying their room, pulling bookshelves down etc.
    This was my first thought. I wouldn't do it with my kids cos the idea never occurred to me but my oldest is destructive when he gets in tantrum mode and has a tendency to throw things and I always worry he is going to cause serious damage to his room one day.

Without knowing the details as to why the child is being disciplined etc, I don't feel comfortable judging.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wouldn't lock my kids out or in

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews

I wouldn't lock my children out no.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by winterbaby View Post
    Also if its once in a while or if its a daily occurrence matters also. And if the child is genuinely terrified of having to stay outside or whether its just a tantrum.
    DS2 is genuinely terrified if I put him into time-out in his room (toy room, if I put him in our room, we share a room together, he is just as terrified) outside is not terrifying for him, he doesn't like it but it's not scary.
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    I think sending kids to places like their rooms could be counterproductive because there are usually things to do there. Perhaps sending them outside is done because there is nothing to do but think about what has happened?

I could think of far worse things to do to kids....
    1-2-3 magic says it doesn't matter what there is to do as long as there is no tv, video games etc.

Eta I totally agree if the child was distressed because of the location that's not ok but if it's just a protest about being in time out..