+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption

Default Playdate etiquette...

I work full time so dd usually doesn't have too many play dates but when we do I sort of make a day of it with her usually making cookies or muesli bars etc in the morning - she loves cooking! I also make sure she cleans up afterwards . I also just keep and eye on the other child/parent for my cue to stay/leave

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Playdate etiquette...

Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Same. Maybe it's an inner city thing!

It's not rude to come empty handed when its expected and when you reciprocate.
    That's would be a key word in this situation... Reciprocate

Thanks
    Reviews

We don't bring food, everyone just provides when it's at their place.
    DD always has to help her friends pack up the toys or whatever their doing. DS is little so I clean up his mess.
    Sitting and actually being able to have coffee depends on on the friend. With most friends I can do this, however there are a couple who literally can not leave their kids for a minute so they are more with the kids then having coffee.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption

We don't bring food unless we've planned it with the host.

I always get DS to help clean up and will help him if it looks like a big job. I also always clean up from what we have eaten/drunk.

Staying varies on who we are with and how the kids are going. I do get a bit worried when people stay for ages at our house and DS needs to nap but I never say anything.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

When I have friends and their kids here they always bring all the food. Most of them tell me not to get anything because im hosting. But I will almost always take something with me to their places too.

We can play and hang out for a whole day!

MuminMind is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Helpful Member, Member I'd Most Like To Meet, Most Community Minded Thread, Best Potential Moderator and Newbie of the Year Awards
    BH Advocate - PND & AND
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    With my friends, whoever hosts provides food and drink so everyone gets a break from it. But some will always bring their own too for the reasons already mentioned.

I would generally stay 2-3 hours.

Would always help tidy up.
    Same here!

But now I am starting to freak out; should I perhaps have brought something, - in addition to my impeccably mannered kids!?! (Kidding, they are terrors)
    Last edited by MuminMind; 14-01-2013 at 22:23.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Nawww Muminmind I didn't mean to make you feel bad, or anyone else I was just wondering what most people do. I guess it doesn't really matter whether you are visiting or hosting, but it seems that most people have some kind of established give/take system, where it all balances out in the end, more or less.

I guess yesterday i was having a veiled vent, I was in a crappy mood and got taken advantage of yet again by someone who almost consistently takes and doesn't give. Most of us have had a friend like that at some stage, they never have change to pay for their coffee, or get the last round at the pub so half the drinkers have gone home or had enough. And even then I can understand and empathise, I've had periods where money was very tight and buying a coffee was a luxury. It just sh*ts me when someone has a nice house, two cars, 5 star holidays, a gourmet diet yet can't be bothered to stop at the grocers and pick up a bit of watermelon or a packet of crackers. Ever. Whether she's hosting or visiting. Grrrr. [/vent]

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Gothel For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (15-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I must live in bizzarro world, whenever I've visited anyone or had anyone over, host always provides.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub
    This.

Thanks
    Reviews

It sounds weird, but when I have people over, I dont expect them to bring a thing, I too just expect gratitude. But on the other hand, I always bring something when I go to friends' houses, I would feel rude otherwise.

I always clean up, but if the hosts say to leave it, I will leave it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I'd bring food for my children, if not to share. Bringing something is kind of good manners anyway, so I think that might be a nice gesture.

I'd be there for about 2 hours at most, less if the kids start to act up and get stroppy.

And definitely tidy up the mess your kid helped to make (or get them to do it if they're old enough).