+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Playdate etiquette...

When you go to a friends house so the kids can play and mums can chat, do you bring food to share? And do you help/offer to tidy up when you leave? And how long do you normally stay?

I know how I like things to happen but I'm just wondering what the norm is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes always bring something to eat even if it's just a bag of fruit or dips & crackers when rushed. I don't usually offer to clean up, there doesn't tend to be much mess really. And wouldn't stay longer than 3 hours absolute tops, 2 hours is probably closer to my level of enjoyment.

Thanks
    Reviews

Yes I bring snacks and drinks, yes I help the kids tidy up before we leave and we usually stay anywhere from 2-4 hours depending on how close we are unless either of us have appointments or other stuff on as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Subscribing - I'm never really sure what the 'etiquette' is in this case myself.

DS & I had a play date this morning at a friend's house which we'd never been to before. We brought muffins which were a hit! I'm not sure I'd bring food with me EVERY time, but I wanted to this morning given it was our first 'date' and wanted to make a reasonably good impression We stayed for about 2 hours and I did help to do a bit of a clean-up at the end (just put away a few of the toys DS had been playing with and picked up our plates).

Thanks
    Reviews

My kids have all had food allergies/ intolerances, so I have to take food for us all since I'm dairy-free when breastfeeding. Sometimes I feel so rude refusing food when it's been prepared, despite me telling in advance not to worry and we'll bring our own.
    And as far as helping clean up afterward, I definitely encourage my children to tidy up after themselves.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014

Default Re: Playdate etiquette...

Always bring snacks and always help clean up before we leave, and make both DS' s help.

As for how long we stay... depends on DS2 and how he is coping. Sometimes it's as little as an hour as he just doesn't handle being out of his comfort zone.

I used to host big meet up play dates at my house with anywhere up to 8 mums and around 15 kids and I didn't mind doing it at all but it was a nightmare to clean up afterwards as some of the parents just let their kids run riot, eat messy cakes on my carpet, take food in the bedrooms etc which my kids aren't allowed to do. I've since stopped inviting big groups around because I just can't be bothered cleaning up after everyone when most of them wouldn't even offer to help tidy up after their kids.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

With my friends, whoever hosts provides food and drink so everyone gets a break from it. But some will always bring their own too for the reasons already mentioned.

I would generally stay 2-3 hours.

Would always help tidy up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I always bring food, but it's "my thing" so I don't mind - I usually bring food for everyone and at my house I do lunch, the other mums usually do the cleaning up as I bought the food but we all really clean up after our own kids, I have 3 friends/SIL with babies doing BLW so the food mess is unbelievable but as I'm such an advocate for it I can't complain as my DS was the same at that age!

Thanks
    Reviews
    always bring food when able, 2 hours max, and tidy up if able

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Playdate etiquette...

Yeah I thought that might be the case. It's what I do, but we have food intolerances so my kids only easy home cooked stuff anyway. I felt a bit taken for granted today when a friend turned up empty handed, didn't thank me for the plate of fruit we shared with her kids, left without tidying anything, and on the way out the door sussed me out about minding her 5yo on some upcoming days when her ILs aren't available. I always take food to her house, and everywhere I go, she never does, so I just wondered what the norm is.
    She also has a play room so she can close the door on the mess... But I don't.
    I think I'm justified in feeling taken for granted Oh well...
    Last edited by Gothel; 14-01-2013 at 17:00.