+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default New York Christmas Time

My Dh and I are thinking about travelling to New York for Christmas. I thought having a winter Christmas would be amazing.
    I know nothing about New York so please tell me anything you know

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Subbing because we want to go too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption

That would be so amazing I think! Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have been to New York but not in winter.... My cousins did though and they're photos are full of grey skies, dirty snow and slush on the footpaths, Central Park looking very barren and having to take of coats/scarves/hats/gloves everytime you went inside a shop/restaurant/subway was just a pain in the ***. If you want a white Christmas perhaps try to get out of the city (ski village?) where everything would be less dirty....

tiggerfields is offline Priestess of Kult K'iesha... Mooo!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I love New York and I think it's great at Christmas time. You're definitely not guaranteed snow, but it is very cold. If you're after the NY experience - Broadway, restaurants, street life etc then winter is a great time to go I think, it's not too busy and it's not muggy and really hot as it can get in the summertime. Personally I like rugging up to go outside so the cold is a bonus for me.

New York is A FABULOUS destination and particularly for adults I think - it's not somewhere I'd consider as top of the list for young kids. So if you're pre-kids then it's the perfect time to go and I'd highly recommend it. Sure there's stuff to do with kids but the best stuff is grownup stuff IMO.

Whiteface ski resort is accessible so maybe a side trip of a couple of nights there for the snow would work if you're really keen on that.

tiggerfields is offline Priestess of Kult K'iesha... Mooo!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    If you go, invest a good couple of hundred bucks in a proper long puffy down jacket made from real down. It will make the difference between being happy and warm and freezing your *** off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Ahh memories! I flew in to NYC boxing day 2008 and stayed for new years eve for 9 wonderful days!
    It was amazing - no snow though but it was -10!

Let me know what you were thinking of doing and I'll try help!

The Xmas decorations and Central Park with the iced over lakes and open ice skating rinks were amazing, the shopping was even better!

New years eve was unbelievable - 1 million people in the city (from central park to times square) I booked a restaurant overlooking times square ( did this nearly a year in advance as they book out quickly!) and then we had new years day lunch at The Boathouse restaurant in central park , it was definitely a once in a lifetime experience ( and cost a lot of $$) but totally worth it!

Thanks
    Reviews

I went with DH last October for our first wedding anniversary and to be honest October was cold enough! I lived in my puffer jacket! It's a lovely place but majorly overrated IMO

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I'm currently living in NY so I experienced Xmas here! didn't have snow at Xmas time but was damn cold -5 to -10 most days, was beautiful where in living ( hour out of NYC) but as someone else said the snow I. the actual city is just dirty and nothing spectacular

If you have any particular questions let me know !