+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Tips for buying second hand car

Hi all

We will be purchasing a second hand car in about a month to make room for our growing family. I'm so worried about second hand cars as you hear so many horror stories about buying lemons and being ripped off. I have already looked at red book and become familiar with what we should be paying for the car we are looking at but what can we do to make sure we are picking the best car (mechanically etc.) for our money. I would hate to buy a car that seems good at the time and then things just start falling apart or breaking down on it. Do you recommend private or car yard?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have had two Toyotas now, and would highly recommend them. They're renown for their reliability. Steer clear of anything European or Australian, and instead opt for Japanese cars.

Then also, remember to check with that how safe is your car website, they say to get the safest car you can afford.

Do you know what your budget is?

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks for replying! We're actually looking at a Toyota Camry and spending max $14k.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FlipFlop View Post
    Thanks for replying! We're actually looking at a Toyota Camry and spending max $14k.
    Good choice! That's what I had last time, they're highly recommended. The reason I sold mine was that the cost of fuel was a bit much for me, but they're a great car and very spacious inside, so if the fuel thing isn't a huge issue for you then you won't be disappointed. Extremely reliable car

Thanks
    Reviews

If the car is close to 100,000/200 etc make sure it's had a timing belt done as that's easily $700+ to get done.

Research the car you want to buy for common problems they have, price wise to fix, if parts are cheap, etc. If you know what you're looking for and have done your research, eBay/Gumtree is great for cars. It also gives you a good idea at what they're going for and if you're being ripped off by a car yard or not.

Don't be afraid of secondhand cars, just make sure you do your research first! I have a 92 Toyota Camry with 220+ k's and it runs like an absolute dream! Japanese care will last you a lifetime if treated right what's your price range (if you don't mind me asking) and did you have anything in particular?

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by FlipFlop View Post
    You can never ever go wrong with a Camry!

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What state are you in?

RAC/RACQ/NRMA etc can come and inspect your car, it will cost approximately $60, and they will tell you if anything is wrong with it.

Also check a site called REVS - this will tell you if it has been in any serious unreported accidents, or if there is any finance owing on it.

Don't be scared of buying second hand, we don't buy brand new on principle . Check the logbook for the history, check product review, NRMA website... there are so many resources out there to help you find a car.

Good Luck!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MrJones&Me For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (14-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks so much ladies! We're in qld, will racq inspect a car that is for sale privately or only a dealer?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I agree with PP- Toyotas are fabulous. We had a Camry Vienta for 15 years. Last year, we purchased an 15 month old ex-govt Corolla from Stewart Toyota- $16 000. Best car ever. It uses hardly any petrol and I expect it to last for years and years. Also, I have found buying from a dealer a good experience as the car came with a warranty of 5 yrs, complete log books and vouchers for cheap servicing. Ex Govt auctions are also great. I think with your budget of $14000 (and alot of searching online!) you could bag yourself a late model camry. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption

I have a lot of experience in this area. If possible buy from a large car yard, try to avoid those really small yards. Also ask about the extended warranties available. If the yard is good enough to offer it to you it means they back what they are selling. Word of mouth is also a good gauge as to how good the company selling the cars are. Toyotas are known for their reliability but this is personal preference. If the yard can not give you a mechanicals report you have every right to take it to your mechanic to check it over. Any questions you might have let me know. I have worked in the industry for over 10 years