+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Cat owners- need advice

Quote Originally Posted by Heids89 View Post
    It sounds like an anxiety/depression problem to me. I bet you wouldn't like being locked in the laundry all night either? Are there other ways you can keep him away from your DD at night? Just sounds like he wants the love/attention! I know my cats love running around the house at night and if I locked them up they would probably start some similar behaviour.
    He has been put in the laundry at night since we got her him at 6 weeks so its not a new routine. Its not usualfor pets to be locked in a confined space at night so no i dont think its cruel. and there is no other way to keep him away from DD at night because i am not locking her in her room and soon i will have two babies with open doors, the rest of the house is open plan so doesnt section off. He does it everywhere in the house not just at night in the laundry. It's just more noticeable in the laundry because its a smaller space and everything is white in there as opposed to brown cupboards/tiles etc in the rest of the house. When he does it throughout the rest of the day we spot clean it as we see it whereas we don't clean the laundry until the next morning so there is so much more.

Thanks
    Reviews

I'd give a flea treatment just to be sure. My dogs just recently got fleas, as did my mums dogs, despite them having been on frontline. Apparently they are becoming more resistant to it and fleas are spreading. We swapped to advantage for our dogs and comfortis for mums plus using flea comb. Poor things, I didn't realise what was going on, I thought there was something wrong with his back, he'd spin around and his leg would go out from under him. He had fleas at the base of his tail driving him mad. The cats didn't seem to get any I could find but they were already on advocate for worming.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks everyone for your replies. As I said he is booked in to see a vet on Wednesday but I just wanted to see if there was something I could do between now and then. I will try giving him a flea treatment tonight. Hoping I can get something at the supermarket because DH isn't home with the car until 7ish and the nearest pet shop is way to far to walk.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by jez View Post
    He has been put in the laundry at night since we got her him at 6 weeks so its not a new routine. Its not usualfor pets to be locked in a confined space at night so no i dont think its cruel. and there is no other way to keep him away from DD at night because i am not locking her in her room and soon i will have two babies with open doors, the rest of the house is open plan so doesnt section off.
    All of our pets have always been locked away at night too. It's just denning and is often recommended by vets. Our cats go to our upstairs bathroom at night. It is reasonably large with a huge cat tree scratching post, kitty litter, beds, bowls. My old cat when I lived at home was always in the laundry overnight. Dogs in the garage or in the house. Never once had them meow in protest which they are happy to do when displeased!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Cat owners- need advice

I'd really try to get to the vet sooner if you can - bleeding is a very serious symptom and may mean there's underlying trauma to the tail. I am a vet and many times have seen bleeding tails that end up having been traumatised by doors etc with dying tissue/skin being the cause. Your cat can be very happy without a tail if the damage is severe (amputation) or this could simply be a skin infection or abscess. Either way I'd get the cat checked sooner if you can.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Waggers70 View Post
    I'd really try to get to the vet sooner if you can - bleeding is a very serious symptom and may mean there's underlying trauma to the tail. I am a vet and many times have seen bleeding tails that end up having been traumatised by doors etc with dying tissue/skin being the cause. Your cat can be very happy without a tail if the damage is severe (amputation) or this could simply be a skin infection or abscess. Either way I'd get the cat checked sooner if you can.

I wish I could and the vet said I could come down today but my car battery is flat so I need DH to jump it and put the car seat in it. DH drives over an hour away for work so its really posdible for me to drop him off and pick him up. We only moved interstate not long ago so I don't know anyone here that I could get to help. if DH can get the car started tonight I will ask the vet if I can bring him in tomorrow but I am not sure if the battery just needs jump starting or if it has died completely.

Thanks
    Reviews

Try to make sure your cat has a good meal tonight If he/she likes wet food, mix a tablespoon of water in with it to help prevent dehydration - if the cat is eating that's a good sign.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks waggers. I ended up finding an accident and emergency vet hospital half hour away so I am currently waiting here at the moment. The vet has taken him to shave his tail and clean it up to get a better look.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jez For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (14-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Good luck

Sent from my GT-I9305 using BubHub

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Good luck xx