+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Cat owners- need advice

Just read back over my OP and want to apologies for the horrendous amount of typos. My iPad is crap and doesn't respond to my touch as easily as it should so I end up missing letters from words when typing.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sounds like a mental thing to me too if he's just playing to the point of drawing blood. Cats might be funny sometimes but generally they won't continue doing something that draws blood unless it's a repeat event like dermatitis or something similar and if his tail looks ok then that would rule that kind of thing out.

Your kitty could be stressed out. There's a plug in that you can get that releases feline pheromones into the air (we can't smell them, don't worry!) that calm tense or stressed kitties. I haven't tried one myself but apparently they're brilliant for calming down over-stimulated furballs and they're completely non-toxic etc.

Thanks
    Reviews

Sounds like anxiety. What type of cat do you have? We have a Persian and she suffers from anxiety and is medicated to help control it from a vet prescribed drug called clomicalm. Her way of dealing with "stress" is pooing or weeing on our beds. It's disgusting. But our dd is not very gentle with the cat by hugging her too hard, trying to carry her by the throat and laying on her all which stresses the cat out. She also suffered separation anxiety when she was a kitten and I would go to work. She grew out of that, but then when dd came along her anxiety got worse.

Thanks
    Reviews

He is just a mixed breed domestic short hair ginger cat (I know gingers are known for being a over active). He wasn't doing it before I was pregnant so I do wonder if that is affecting him. I had a cat last time I was pregnant that we eventually had to put down for distemper as he became extremely aggressive when I was pregnant, attacking us to the point of DH have scars on him from it. He attacked our DD when she was about 10months and the RSPCA said to put him down (they assessed his behavior and temper and said he couldn't be rehomed and that he would keep doing it). They said cats can react strongly to pregnancy pheromones. I was devastated at the time and it took a couple of years for me to get another pet so that is why I am getting stressed this time. I love my kitty, he is part of our family.
    He isn't aggressive towards us though. In fact he is more affectionate towards me and likes to sit on or curled up next to my belly. When I had severe morning sickness he would follow me around the house and sit next to me in the bathroom whilst I vomited. If DD ever gets a bit rough with him he just goes limp and meows to get our attention so we can help him. He never bites or scratches her except in play if his claws are a bit long.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It sounds like an anxiety/depression problem to me. I bet you wouldn't like being locked in the laundry all night either? Are there other ways you can keep him away from your DD at night? Just sounds like he wants the love/attention! I know my cats love running around the house at night and if I locked them up they would probably start some similar behaviour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Firstly, I think you should be safe as far as the bleeding goes, just use common sense, gloves if need be, washing hands with anti bacterial soap etc.
    Secondly, it could well be a flea allergy dermatitis. My two cats are exclusively indoor cats, they have never been out doors yet one of them suffers this allergy. A flea can come in on your clothing etc, and my allergic cat only needs a whiff of flea contact before he starts chewing himself like mad to the point of bleeding. If we catch it early he goes straight to the vet for a cortisone injection and antibiotics if he's chewed himself to badly (this would occasionally happen while we were both at work). We used to use frontline but found it ineffective- the best thing we have done is switch to advantage which can help prevent the flare ups. We used it fortnightly but have scaled back to every three weeks, it's done wonders.
    Just remember, cats don't have to go outside to pick up fleas.
    If its not an allergy, it may be anxiety, and this is often a hard thing to treat in cats. I think you need to take him to the vets to find out what is causing this, the poor little mite must be miserable. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by jez View Post
    If DD ever gets a bit rough with him he just goes limp and meows to get our attention so we can help him. He never bites or scratches her except in play if his claws are a bit long.
    This part caught my attention because our cat does the same, she has only ever bitten dd once, never scratches. DD will hurt the cat by being too affectionate and she will never run, just sits next to dd a few feet away! Then she relives herself later when dd's bedroom door is open.

How often does your dd get her hands on him? Because our cat was never bothered by dd until she was old enough to chase and catch the cat. So perhaps its happening now that your dd can get her hands on him more often?

Our cat is a pathetic jumper (couldn't even jump the kitchen table!) so we were never worried about the cot for dd's safety or bed getting poo'd/wee'd on. Then she got her big girl bed and was around the time that she could really capture the cat and then the poo/wee on bed started.

If the vet eliminates any physical issues like fleas/dermatitis I reckon the issue is anxiety....

Thanks
    Reviews

Because its been bleeding and then when it begins healing could it be itchy? So then he bites it again? Cos a collar/bucket type thing might help.

Just like when a cut on a human heals?

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by nicole83 View Post
    This part caught my attention because our cat does the same, she has only ever bitten dd once, never scratches. DD will hurt the cat by being too affectionate and she will never run, just sits next to dd a few feet away! Then she relives herself later when dd's bedroom door is open.

How often does your dd get her hands on him? Because our cat was never bothered by dd until she was old enough to chase and catch the cat. So perhaps its happening now that your dd can get her hands on him more often?

Our cat is a pathetic jumper (couldn't even jump the kitchen table!) so we were never worried about the cot for dd's safety or bed getting poo'd/wee'd on. Then she got her big girl bed and was around the time that she could really capture the cat and then the poo/wee on bed started.

If the vet eliminates any physical issues like fleas/dermatitis I reckon the issue is anxiety....
    She is pretty good with him. She plays with him with the cat wand but can sometimes end up going to fast and frantic for him and he climbs up onto his cat tower. It's only if she has been patting him and he has had enough of being pat but she still wants to pat him that she will follow him around and try to hold/pat him. Not very often though. He tends to seek her out and try to play with whatever she is playing with like her beads or soft toys. But no real change in any of this in the last two years since we first got him. She is better than ever with him as she gets older. It's her job to feed him every day so he loves her for it and knows that when she starts the brushing teeth routine before bed that he is going to get fed because he follows her around whilst she does her routine and then races her to the laundry to be fed.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Neekie View Post
    Because its been bleeding and then when it begins healing could it be itchy? So then he bites it again? Cos a collar/bucket type thing might help.

Just like when a cut on a human heals?
    I am wondering that too because it was never a problem before but once he did it a couple of times he just kept at it.