+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default When I grow up....

I'm nearly 38 and I have only just found a job that I absolutely love.

In my past I've worked mainly in retail, customer service and a bit of hospitality. I'm now working part time as a library clerk in a public library 15 minutes from home. The hours I work are ideal to our family situation and I love the environment I work in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm 32 and I have NO idea what I want to do with my life. I have spent the last 20 years working towards my career, only to decide a few years ago that it really isn't for me. Except I am a single mum so have had to stick with it for the money. In a few weeks my current contract is up and I have to decide what to do next. I am overwhelmed with all the options I have and have NO idea what to do. The thought of getting a job similar to my current one makes me feel sick... but starting again doing something new scares the cr@p out of me.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Neekie View Post
    Do you plan to travel when the kids are grown Up?

I like you think I will be content to have no career. My husband has big enough career dreams for the both of us. Being a musician he's quite a dreamer and I'm just happy to plod a long beside him.
    I would love to see the parts of the country I have not yet experienced. I've never been terribly attracted to the idea or international travel tbh. I'm just about to turn 25 so not sure if that will change as I get older and I'm not opposed to the idea, just have no real plan at the moment really. DH is very similar to me on that, not overly interested in other countries.

I surprise myself because as a teen I thought at some points that perhaps I did not want children of my own but I am the complete opposite of what I had 'planned' to be then. I'm glad it turned out the way it did.

DH is very 'old fashioned' I guess, he has always wanted a SAH wife and kids. I, like you, have just gone with the flow

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm 32 and also don't know what I want to be! Well, what I'll need to be is a new mum shortly, but I'll be hopefully studying an online/correspondence Human Resources course as well. Not because I WANT to but because I'm only experienced as a receptionist and I'm sick of that role and the low salary that comes with it. HR seems to be a growing career and what I'm focused on now is a stable career to provide for my family.

That being said, I wish I knew what I wanted to be when I grow up! I feel like there's nothing I can say that I'm passionate about or good at to aim for, and it's so frustrating sometimes.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know when I actually 'grew up', it just kind of happened one day. But I'm in my childhood dream job now and I'm pretty sure I do an ok job of being an adult . Ok, so MOST of the time. Sometimes. Whatever. Hahaha!

But I didn't feel like I'd grown up until I got into my dream job. That was what I aspired to for such a long time that I don't think I'd ever really feel like I'd 'made it' as such until that happened.
    I'm very lucky, so many people don't know what they really want to do with their lives. DH is one of them and it frustrates him so much! It must be worse being married to someone that's completely content (for now) with their career.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: When I grow up....

Another pg at 18 here.. 25 this yr and this yr will have 6yo 3yo and 1yo.

my own life outside mum hasnt started yet

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow, lots of adults who don't yet feel grown up or like life has started! That really surprises me!
    I'm 34, and feel like a grown up and have done since I reckon about 18, when I landed solo in New York on my 18th birthday, then spent the next 6mths travelling around the US, UK and Sth Africa.

When I came back, I went to Uni, and bought a house at 22 using money saved during uni/high school working in a fish and chip shop, as a deposit. Got married to DH at 24 and had our first kiddie a year later.

I loved my "career" in nursing until I had kids, now my career is as a stay-at-mum for as long as possible!

My dreams for the future are to travel as much as poss, with the kids and then with my DH when the kiddies move on (boohoo!).

I think the biggest thing that has made me feel "grown-up" is financial independence from a young age. I cannot thank my parents enough for that. I grew up low-middle income, but my folks gave me the tools and knowledge to be independent of them, save money for what I want and set myself up before I had too many commitments.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm 24, had DDs at 19, 21 and 24. I have just finished my nursing degree so I guess I'm going to be a nurse.
    i don't feel grown up even though I've done the grown up things- studied, bought a car and house. I don't know what is going to make me feel grown up?

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews

Im very early 20s so perhaps in seven years I might be rethinking things, but at the moment I'm pregnant and studying uni to do my 'dream job' (high school teaching, it's dream because of the hours and if I can get a placing at my old high school then there's a teacher there who was fresh out of uni when I was in senior years so um, eye candy ahaha).
    I don't want to feel like I'm missing out on my 20s - I don't mean going out partying but I mean enjoying the uni environment while I'm there, living with friends (which I'm already doing woo!) and things like that.

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by thepouts View Post
    i don't feel grown up even though I've done the grown up things- studied, bought a car and house. I don't know what is going to make me feel grown up?
    I still feel like that little emo 14 year old I've changed so much and am a lot more 'grown up' apparently but I really don't feel it. I even see kids who are a couple years younger than me and they seem older than me D: