+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 3 month feeding pattern - confused

Hi all,
    I have a 11 1/2 week old girl who's fully breast feed and I'm getting confused with everyone's advice!!
    All these books don't have answers if your baby doesn't do what the books says!!
    I've started my own routine but everyday is different only thing that stays the same is starting and finishing the day around the same time. here it goes
    6:30-7am wake and feed
    Play time
    8:30-9 (depends on tired signs) bed

Now here's my problem, some days she'll sleep for 2hrs others only 40mins. Do I feed her again as soon as she wakes up or wait so each feed is the same distance apart so she's not snacking then waking up from her next sleep hungry cos she didnt get a full feed the last time? If she wakes after 40mins I try to get her to sleep more but it never happens. She's not starving but if I offer her boob she'll take it. If I wait till 4hrs from her last feed she'll be ready for bed again.
    So for example if your following polly moores 90minute sleep program, if your baby wakes after one sleep cycle do you feed her straight away and start 90minutes again? But then if your following tizzie hall's routine she tells u to wait till their next feeding time n keep them up till their next scheduled sleep, by this time she is overtired n won't settle!!
    I really don't know what to do. Help!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Don't follow a routine at all! Your baby isn't called tizzy or Polly.. I feed on demand, so when bubs shows hunger signs. I also feed her to sleep and offer it to her whenever I feel like it's been too long. My bub is also a 40min cat napper during the day but sleeps 12 hrs mostly at night, semi waking approx every 3 hours for feeds. As long as I follow her hunger and tired signs she's generally very happy.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sarelou For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (13-01-2013),Busy-Bee  (13-01-2013),missie_mackxxxx  (13-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

At that age I used to stress about the same things. My DD is now 8 months and sometimes sleeps 40 mins sometimes 2.5 hrs. She's a very happy baby. I roughly feed her every 3 hours during the day but if she won't nap properly I refeed as it calms her. She sleeps through the night. So don't stress. I found that my feeds then turned 2hourly sometimes when she did a catnap but other times she happily went back to sleep without a feed. And my DD still does different things each day which suits me as I also don't like to do the same things each day

Thanks
    Reviews

I read too much I know, then I get stressed cos I don't know Wat to do. She's a happy baby and people say follow your babies cues, but I don't know Wat I'm looking for! She'll sit up all day if I let her. Today she's had 2 hrs sleep and is still smiling but showing tired signs. I can rock all day and she won't go to sleep. I put her to bed n she goes straight to sleep. During the night she wakes twice (exactly same times every night) I feed and she goes straight back to sleep. I need a routine to survive which is why I was trying to get her on one, (and everyone ws telling me to) only early days so ill just lap up the cuddles whilst she's little. Thanks 😄

Thanks
    Reviews

You can have rough awake times without a routine as such. I remember this one day where DD slept 40 mins the whole day and I was in tears. But really it wasn't that bad as she wasn't even crying or anything. I just thought she needed to sleep!

Thanks
    Reviews

Oh my you are so lucky that she goes to sleep by herself! My 4 month old has done this exactly twice ever!! You can google tired/feeding cues but every baby is a bit different, my DDs tired cue, besides yawning and eye rubbing is squealing lol! Also I always knew hunger was hands in mouth but now that she is putting everything in her mouth I have no idea so just offer it to her constantly, she definitely lets me know when she doesn't want it lol. This time goes so quick, you are right, lap it up! Also I was having settling problems as my bub doesn't take a dummy, or wrapping, I've been persisting with wrapping and white noise as soon as she shows tired signs and it seems to be working really well. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews

Also in relation to day naps, as I said before my DD only does 40 min stretches, but wakes happy so once I learnt to trust her signs we both were much happier and stress free.. If bubs wakes cranky though then probably needs more sleep

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks for the info, these forum are good to know your not alone in these situations. I'm going to feed her when she wakes from now on and see how I go, I'm going to record each day for a couple if weeks and see if there is a pattern happening and be flexible cos everyday is different. She is a good bub I just hope I'm doing everything right!

Thanks
    Reviews

How do you settle your bub atm? Mine has never had a dummy or been wrapped, hated both from day one and is happier to have her arms above her head. I used to feed to sleep wen I first brought her home but from about 6 weeks I tried laying her down n she was fine, just wakes 40mins after, which I don't understand - if she can put herself to sleep why can't she go to the next sleep cycle? And why does she only do it of a day n not night? These babies keep you on your toes I'd tell ya.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I have no idea about routines as I didn't really use one till DS was 6 months old but can I suggest you stop worrying about catnapping? As far as I can tell, it is the norm, not the exception and there is not much you can do about it. It will most likely sort itself out at around 8 months.